Need help to select a sub amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help to select a sub amp

fengxia
10-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi,

I currently have a Rotel stereo amp, a TLC-1 preamp and NHT 0.5 front speaker.
Now I'm getting a HSU TN1225 sub, but not the amp. So I think that I have 2 options:

1. Buy a good amp with crossover build-in, and use the ROTEL for the sub.
2. Buy an amp with crossover build-in to drive the sub.

So, my question is, which one would be better? and any good amp to recommend in either case? I was looking at NHT SA-3, but cann't find many stores having it.

Thanks ahead!

Mr Peabody
10-23-2004, 07:24 AM
You could use a passive filter to block high frequencies from the sub and run both sub and sats off your Rotel. I don't know of any home amps that have built in crossover. Unless your sub has 2 drivers or 1 with dual voice coils you will need an amp that is bridgeable to mono or buy a monoblock if you're going to power the sub separately. Marantz makes some monoblocks that are reasonably priced. There are several Adcom amps around used that would make good sub amps.

I personally think by the time you buy a new amp and crossover you might as well take the money to buy a complete powered sub. What's the deal with the one you have, did it have an amp and it's broke or is it just a passive sub? I would have thought even a passive sub would provide some crossover. You might check a pro sound shop for some type of active crossover network or if anyone carries Audio Control, they make some hi fi crossover stuff.