"Subwoofer connection" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Subwoofer connection"

oymd
10-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Aloha to all!!

I was reading the guides here on Audioholics and I read this:

Connect the "Sub Out" of your Receiver / Preamp Processor using an RCA cable into a Y-cable into the "L" and "R" inputs of your subwoofer. Note: Unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer, be sure to utilize both inputs of the sub as many subs sum the "L" + "R" inputs to yield a 6 dB gain from the input voltage of the processor.

Well I have a YAMAHA RX-V 550 with a set of Wharfedale Diamond 8 speakers. I have a Wharfedale Powercube 10A sub.

I n the VERY SHORT manual that came with the sub it says to connect the "sub out" of the reciever to the LEFT input ONLY of the subwoofer??!!!

Can this be right...and if so...what is the use of the OTHER right input on the sub???

spacedeckman
10-22-2004, 08:57 PM
It will play louder at that given volume setting (typically 3dB) if you use a Y adapter, or you could just turn it up a bit. Same difference. BTW, it won't play any louder in absolute terms.

Croney
10-22-2004, 09:19 PM
A stab in the dark would be that the left and right inputs are line level preamp out from the left and right front channels. Many older receivers do not have sub out which rendering one to use either speaker level inputs or the l/r channel pre outs. From the application described, the available power will be split between two ports, so use quality connectors.

Kursun
10-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Aloha to all!!

I was reading the guides here on Audioholics and I read this:

Connect the "Sub Out" of your Receiver / Preamp Processor using an RCA cable into a Y-cable into the "L" and "R" inputs of your subwoofer. Note: Unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer, be sure to utilize both inputs of the sub as many subs sum the "L" + "R" inputs to yield a 6 dB gain from the input voltage of the processor.

Well I have a YAMAHA RX-V 550 with a set of Wharfedale Diamond 8 speakers. I have a Wharfedale Powercube 10A sub.

I n the VERY SHORT manual that came with the sub it says to connect the "sub out" of the reciever to the LEFT input ONLY of the subwoofer??!!!

Can this be right...and if so...what is the use of the OTHER right input on the sub???The L& R inputs on the subwoofer are connected in parallel after a buffer stage. (The buffer stage is there for impedance matching and isolation).
It is elementary electrical knowledge that parallel connection of batteries, cells, or other electrical sources does not produce higher voltage.
Besides the subwoofer has enough gain and does not need any higher voltage.

Your Yamaha manual is correct, "connect the "sub out" of the reciever to the LEFT input ONLY of the subwoofer??!!!" That's it.