Dayton DVC 15 or Tempest? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dayton DVC 15 or Tempest?

grampi
12-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Which one's better and why?

This Guy
12-11-2003, 04:00 PM
They're basically the same woofers atleast in sealed enclosures. They both perform very well in 3 to 4 cubic foot sealed enclosures. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two if you had an A B comparison given you drive them both with the same amps and put them in the same boxes. Ofcourse the more expensive Dayton Titanic MKIII subwoofer will beat them both due to it's longer xmax (20mm one way) and it can handle more power if you happen to come by a large amplifier some time in the future. The Titanic is $200 and works best with a higher power amp (500-1000 watts) and the tempest and dvc work best with 250 to around 600 depending what box you put it in. The Tempest is having a sale right now at many places for $125, I'd spring on that.

-Joey

grampi
12-11-2003, 07:28 PM
I've noticed the specs for both drivers are almost identical. Both have an xmax of within 1 mm, a sensitivity of within 1db, and power handling is pretty even. I have heard the Dayton requires a smaller enclosure, though I don't know how much smaller. The Dayton also comes with a 5 year warranty, whereas the warranty on the Tempest is 3 years. The terminals on the Dayton are superior to that of the Tempest's. I will be powering either with the PE 250 watt plate amp, so power handling really isn't going to be an issue. I know the mid "Q" design sealed enclosure for the Tempest requires 4.6 c.f. I'll have to write to PE and see if they can give me some enclosure recommendations for the Dayton.

grampi
12-12-2003, 04:23 PM
Is it just me, or has this forum been extremely dead lately? Where is everyone?

This Guy
12-12-2003, 09:24 PM
their own box.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=13710832&St=3986&St2=36049461&St3=-28592875&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=9385&DID=7

You could either buy that or make something very similar to it.

-Joey

grampi
12-17-2003, 11:24 AM
Come on, there's got to be more people than this who has experienced these drivers.

This Guy
12-17-2003, 05:00 PM
audioasylum.com and ask the guys in the DIY forum. Also diysubwoofer.org has a forum all about subwoofers and those guys experimented with a lot of the dayton and adire drivers. they'll help you out.

-Joey

magictooth
12-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Come on, there's got to be more people than this who has experienced these drivers.

Hi!

I've got the Tempest driver in a 8000 cu in. container. It is ported and has DT300 class D plate amp from some German company (I think Akustic or something like that). I've compared directly with the Paradigm Servo 15 in my room, setup, etc. - ie. I'm comparing apples to apples - and they sound pretty much the same.

I think with a parametric equalization, I might get rid of that 40Hz hump, but it's not really a big deal to me.

I haven't had any experience with the Dayton, but I think it is basically the same driver so I think you won't really go wrong in either case. If one of the above posters is correct and the Tempest is on sale go with that one.

Dave

grampi
12-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Joey, thanks for the info.

Dave, how much power does that amp put out?

magictooth
12-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Joey, thanks for the info.

Dave, how much power does that amp put out?

The amp puts out 300W. Somehow I blew the fuse on the amp once, but I don't really remember turning it up all that far. It was possibly some kind of power surge. I don't have it plugged into a power bar. Otherwise it seems like a good amp. I've got it set up for high pass and the crossover seems to work very well.

Dave