David Mead - Indiana [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : David Mead - Indiana

BarryL
10-22-2004, 12:57 PM
I've raved about David Mead before, but his new album, Indiana, has been spinning all this week, and I'm still liking it.

Mead is a pop-oriented song-writer with uptempo catchy pop songs. I've compared him at times to Paul McCartney, David Gates, Jeff Lynne. This is actually his fourth album, with the third not yet released due to record label wrangling.

There's not a bad song on this set, even though I thought it was rather weak on the first listen compared to his previous two albums. If you don't know Mead and you like uptempo, bitter-sweet folk/pop with hooks galore, then you should check Mead out.

ForeverAutumn
10-22-2004, 01:48 PM
This is actually his fourth album, with the third not yet released due to record label wrangling..

While working on your chronological prog collections...what definition did you decide on for the year that an album counts in? Year recorded or year released? Because if you count the album in the year it was released, then isn't the fourth album really the third album? And the third album....well....I guess that it doesn't really exist yet does it. Only providing additional proof that Descartes, "I think, therefore I am" arguement is false. :D

BarryL
10-22-2004, 06:57 PM
While working on your chronological prog collections...what definition did you decide on for the year that an album counts in? Year recorded or year released? Because if you count the album in the year it was released, then isn't the fourth album really the third album? And the third album....well....I guess that it doesn't really exist yet does it. Only providing additional proof that Descartes, "I think, therefore I am" arguement is false. :D

Just for your info, troublemaker FA, it is the year it was first released, unless it was released earlier in another country and I want to include it in a later year. For example, the first Focus album was actually released in 1969 in Holland, but 1970 in England. Because I wanted to include it, I decided that 1970 would do, since the Holland release was so small that it hardly counts!

Albums that weren't released until later count in the year released. When there are discrepencies about the year released, I use the earliest year I can find. The year released does not always correspond to the year indicated for the copyright or production copyright on the album. For example, Yes's Tales From Topographical Oceans was released in December 1973, even though the album copyright indicates 1994.

Albums not released at all until much later - usually live albums or demo tracks - are not included. In other words, they are disqualified. Examples include early Kansas demos released recently as Proto-Caw, and a recently released King Crimson album. This latter rule is completely arbitrary, but I was trying to capture what you might have heard on the radio (before Payola, which totally destroyed prog by getting Terry Jacks, Carpenters, and Cat Steven's songs played instead).

Oh there I go again. I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. ;-) Just having fun on the Internet.