I just discovered a hidden track from 10 years ago! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I just discovered a hidden track from 10 years ago!

ForeverAutumn
10-22-2004, 10:15 AM
So...I'm sitting in my office listening to Green Day's Dookie. The disk ends, but I'm in the middle of something and don't want to get up to change the disk. It's quiet for a couple of minutes....then....suddenly.....sound from the speakers!

What?

Huh?

Whazzat?

I've listened to this disk hundreds of times. I've, never, ever heard this track before.

Very strange.

mad rhetorik
10-22-2004, 10:52 AM
So...I'm sitting in my office listening to Green Day's Dookie. The disk ends, but I'm in the middle of something and don't want to get up to change the disk. It's quiet for a couple of minutes....then....suddenly.....sound from the speakers!

What?

Huh?

Whazzat?

I've listened to this disk hundreds of times. I've, never, ever heard this track before.

Very strange.

That's "All By Myself," basically some stoned goofing around on Billie Joe's part. It's funny the first few times, but I don't find myself sitting all the way through to listen to it very often.

-Jar-
10-22-2004, 11:41 AM
I've never heard DOOKIE.

I mean, except for the songs on the radio a billion times.

But, otherwise, never sat through that album beginning to end.

Never owned it, that might have something to do with it.

ForeverAutumn
10-22-2004, 11:59 AM
That's "All By Myself," basically some stoned goofing around on Billie Joe's part.

Yeah, that's pretty much what it sounds like. I can see why they hid it. :rolleyes:

Is it just me, or is it time to remaster Dookie? I'm listening to all my GD disks from Dookie on, in chronological order. There's a definate progression of sound quality. The quality of Dookie bites. Warning, however, has excellent sound.

I've never heard DOOKIE.

I mean, except for the songs on the radio a billion times.

But, otherwise, never sat through that album beginning to end.

Never owned it, that might have something to do with it.

The first half of the album is fantastic. The second half is very good but not as strong as the first half. If you like Green Day, it's definately worth owning.

I'm in the process of a "best of" Green Day comp. I'll post a track list and offer it up here when it's finished.

tentoze
10-22-2004, 01:55 PM
It's common knowledge that I don't know Dookie.

3-LockBox
10-22-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm in the process of a "best of" Green Day comp. I'll post a track list and offer it up here when it's finished.

May I request, in advance, a copy?

I just finished a PT comp...I'll have a KingCrimson3 comp here shortly (within a month anyway), but then again, you may already have something like these, given who your Bro is and all. I've been patterning my CD collection after his of late.

eisforelectronic
10-22-2004, 07:23 PM
It might be interesting if they redid "1000 smoothed out slappy hours" and "Kerplunk". Some might say this would kill that distinctive garage sound they started with, but who knows. Those two CD's really got me through senior year and I would say a few years after.

Slosh
10-23-2004, 03:44 AM
I've never been a fan of Green Day but my daughter likes them and I just picked up American Idiot for her. We listened to it together on a long drive yesterday and to me it sounds just like everything else they've done, as far as I could tell. It won't make new fans but will sate the old ones I suppose. Not that they're terrible or anything; they're just missing that certain something that draws me in and it struck me that they sound sorta like a more commercial version of Chisel so I played Set You Free for her when we got home and sure enough she likes it enough to want her own copy :)

NP: Pinback - Summer In Abaddon (PINBACK! PINBACK! PINBACK! PINBACK! PINBACK!)

kexodusc
10-23-2004, 03:59 AM
Never could really get into Green Day's music, but these guys give the funniest f'n interviews...very refreshing to see "artists" not try to incorporate grand themes and huge words into every conversation.
Saw GD in NB, Canada back in November 1995 (might have been early 96?) ...
B.J. pissed on the booing losers in the crowd up front and got banned from returning.
Class act all the way! :D

ForeverAutumn
10-23-2004, 07:07 AM
It might be interesting if they redid "1000 smoothed out slappy hours" and "Kerplunk". Some might say this would kill that distinctive garage sound they started with, but who knows. Those two CD's really got me through senior year and I would say a few years after.

I just picked up a copy of something called, 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours .

It's a collection of tracks from 30/Smoothed ; Slappy ; and 1,000 Hours . I haven't listened to it yet, so I can't comment on sound quality. But...the liner notes do say that, 39/SMOOTH, 1,000 HOURS and SLAPPY were remastered in 2003.

Nothing about Kerplunk.

ForeverAutumn
10-23-2004, 07:15 AM
I've never been a fan of Green Day but my daughter likes them and I just picked up American Idiot for her. We listened to it together on a long drive yesterday and to me it sounds just like everything else they've done, as far as I could tell. It won't make new fans but will sate the old ones I suppose.

I will have to, respectfully, disagree with you on that. But it wouldn't be the first time. ;) I think that American Idiot is, perhaps, their most commercially accessible disk. I expect at least three or four singles from this CD (the most they've had off of a single CD since Dookie). For that reason, I think that it will attract new fans. However, these new fans may not enjoy some of their older, edgier, punkier tunes. So, American Idiot may attrack new fans of the new album, but not necessarily new fans of the band. Does that count?

So....tell me more about Chisel. Sounds like something I might like.

Slosh
10-23-2004, 08:13 AM
So, American Idiot may attrack new fans of the new album, but not necessarily new fans of the band. Does that count?

Um, if they like the album doesn't that mean they like the band? :confused:

So....tell me more about Chisel. Sounds like something I might like.

Chisel was Ted Leo's former band. Look around your massive pile of comps, as I'm sure you have some Chisel/Ted Leo somewhere among them. The music is a blend of poppier punk and classic rock, just like Green Day except they don't use the same guitar tone over and over and over and over and over. :p Chisel is more on the punkier side and Set You Free from 1997 is the better of their two studio full-lengthers, IMO. Ted Leo & the Pharmacists' albums sound more classic rock influenced to me, but still with a bit of punk seeping through. The only Ted Leo album I own is The Tyranny Of Distance and was talked about quite a bit here back in 2001.

NP: Pinback - Summer In Abaddon (yes, again :) )

ForeverAutumn
10-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Um, if they like the album doesn't that mean they like the band? :confused:

Well, I guess it depends. I really like The Tragically Hip's first few albums. But I haven't liked their more recent releases. So, I would say that I'm a fan of The Hip's early material. Another example would be Opeth. I really liked Damnation. But I haven't really enjoyed the previous disks that I've heard. So, I'm a fan of Opeth's last album, but I'm not a fan of their previous albums. I guess that does make me an Opeth fan....but not of their entire works. Does that make my point any clearer?

...Probably not.

eisforelectronic
10-23-2004, 02:42 PM
I just picked up a copy of something called, 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours .

It's a collection of tracks from 30/Smoothed ; Slappy ; and 1,000 Hours . I haven't listened to it yet, so I can't comment on sound quality. But...the liner notes do say that, 39/SMOOTH, 1,000 HOURS and SLAPPY were remastered in 2003.

Nothing about Kerplunk.

I can't believe I got that title wrong! I'll have to look into those remasters. I'm assuming Lookout Records didn't do the remastered release.

Slosh
10-24-2004, 04:20 AM
Does that make my point any clearer?

I understood perfectly well what you were saying all along but sometimes I take a little too much pleasure in being a PITA ;)

ForeverAutumn
10-24-2004, 06:49 AM
I can't believe I got that title wrong! I'll have to look into those remasters. I'm assuming Lookout Records didn't do the remastered release.

You assume incorrectly my Green Day loving friend. Lookout Records actually DID do the remastered release. I took the time to listen to it yesterday and I would have to say that the sound quality is better than Dookie. But since I've never heard the originals of 39/Smoothed, etc...I can't comment on the quality as compared to the originals.

My only complaint is that the packaging is a cardboard digipak. I hate those things.

I understood perfectly well what you were saying all along but sometimes I take a little too much pleasure in being a PITA

Oh, don't you worry...that you were being a PITA was not lost on me. :p

Dusty Chalk
10-26-2004, 08:29 AM
"Blah blah BLAH blah..."