would you buy an lcos tv? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : would you buy an lcos tv?

stan2
10-21-2004, 08:32 PM
is this technology de-bugged yet? sure looks good on the showroom floor and can be had for under $2K (stand included) these days - phillips/46" - at costco. any reason to steer clear?

hershon
10-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Why don't you write the model number down. What do people on Amazon.com and other places say about that? I got a Mitsubishi 48"HDTV for $1600 that didn't need a stand (rear projector TV). What exactly is so great about this TV if it isn't a plasma or LCD as the price is no great bargain, nothing personal.

is this technology de-bugged yet? sure looks good on the showroom floor and can be had for under $2K (stand included) these days - phillips/46" - at costco. any reason to steer clear?

stan2
10-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Why don't you write the model number down. What do people on Amazon.com and other places say about that? I got a Mitsubishi 48"HDTV for $1600 that didn't need a stand (rear projector TV). What exactly is so great about this TV if it isn't a plasma or LCD as the price is no great bargain, nothing personal.

and i apparently goofed on the size. it's 44". here's a link. it is phillips 'cineos' line. why lcos vs the 48" mits? the reason many people pick an lcos (or dlp or lcd) over crt rear projection, which i assume your mits is, is that it takes up a lot less space and only weighs 73 lbs. for price comparisons, those other projection technologies - lcd, dlp, lcos - have been around two or three times the price of crt's lately, so this $2K deal (incl the stand) seems relatively a good deal. of course, a lot of people have room for the crt or prefer the picture. i read an article last nite that the intel lcos chip will be delayed till '05, but when that happens, you'll see more of it and probably better and cheaper than they are now. some of these 'slim' tv's, altho not 'flat panel' or plasma, will be light enuf and slim enuf to hang on the wall even. can't do that with a crt! anyhow, here's the link. but if you haven't ck'd out the lcos tv's, you might take a look to see what that stuff is about. it's sold at most big tv stores - jvc calls theirs by a different name, but same thing. seems like it may be worth waiting, for me, to see what intel comes up with in '05....

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11000314&whse=&topnav=&cat=4117&hierPath=79*4117*

hershon
10-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the link. I didn't realize it was a thin sized TV so please disregard my previous stupid post. People on this board have been critical about Phillips products though but your TV seems like a good price. Good luck.

and i apparently goofed on the size. it's 44". here's a link. it is phillips 'cineos' line. why lcos vs the 48" mits? the reason many people pick an lcos (or dlp or lcd) over crt rear projection, which i assume your mits is, is that it takes up a lot less space and only weighs 73 lbs. for price comparisons, those other projection technologies - lcd, dlp, lcos - have been around two or three times the price of crt's lately, so this $2K deal (incl the stand) seems relatively a good deal. of course, a lot of people have room for the crt or prefer the picture. i read an article last nite that the intel lcos chip will be delayed till '05, but when that happens, you'll see more of it and probably better and cheaper than they are now. some of these 'slim' tv's, altho not 'flat panel' or plasma, will be light enuf and slim enuf to hang on the wall even. can't do that with a crt! anyhow, here's the link. but if you haven't ck'd out the lcos tv's, you might take a look to see what that stuff is about. it's sold at most big tv stores - jvc calls theirs by a different name, but same thing. seems like it may be worth waiting, for me, to see what intel comes up with in '05....

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11000314&whse=&topnav=&cat=4117&hierPath=79*4117*