Grado SR80 vs. SR60 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Grado SR80 vs. SR60

vr6ofpain
10-20-2004, 11:05 AM
In reading this thread:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=4496&highlight=grado

I have a question for those who have listened to both the SR60 and SR80. How do these two compare, and what are the differences you found between them?

I have read that the SR60's are great, but that the SR80's produce a stronger bottom end. At the same time headroom's site claims that they SR80's need an amp to not sound "murky". This concerns me. I found a local dealer of Grado, which I am going to go visit this Saturday, but I was wonder what others have experienced.

On a side note a friend of mine is gonna be in the area this weekend and said he would bring his RS-1's by so I could give them a listen! I can't believe he spent $650 on some headphones, but I gotta hear them.

Several years ago I got bit by the headphone bug, which caused me to go out and listen to some Senn's. I really liked the comfort of the HD-580's, but I didn't even listen to them, mainly because I could not afford them, and didn't want to be tempted by their sound. I ended up listening to the HD-454(or 455, or 545, they were black with red foam on the rear of the drivers). I liked them and bought them. Little did I know but after listening them for more than a couple songs, I found the pressure of the pad against my ear(probably similar to the SR60 pad), caused my ear great discomfort. I never listened to them for more than 30-45minutes. In the end I gave them to my brother for some cash.

Woochifer
10-20-2004, 11:22 AM
The main difference between the two models is that the SR80 uses an additional connector, which supposedly increases the bass response. The diaphragm used in both models is identical. I haven't read anything about the the SR80 being more difficult to drive than the SR60, and the SR60 is already fairly easy to drive as it is.

If the extra conductor on the SR80 resulted in significant changes to the impedance and efficiency, then I would be inclined to believe that one model would work better than the other without a headphone amp. However, both models have the same impedance and efficiency specs, so I would guess that both would work equally well. By all accounts, the significant difference between the SR60 and SR80 is the bass. I own the SR60 and they already have plenty of low end as it is. It's up to your preferences to decide whether the extra bass with the SR80 is worth the extra $20.

The Grado pads that you have to watch out for are the vinyl ones with the hollowed out middle portion. Those are supposed to be the uncomfortable ones. With the SR60 at least, Grado went to a full coverage foam pad a few years ago, and while not as comfortable as some of the Senns that I've tried, I've not had any issue with it for normal listening.

RGA
10-20-2004, 12:37 PM
First importance is comfort then sound when it comes to headphones IMO. The 580 IMO is better than the Grado's but it cost more - the Grado 60 and 80- would be my choice in their price range however - both should be easy to drive with portables - the 580 needs an amp to drive properly - it is harder to drive than the 600 and my Panasonic portable is atrocious driving my 600s.

If you have to pay to upgrade the foam surrounds on the 60's or 80's really think about that issue before you buy because you have additional expense which may make the 580 look good. If you look around you should be able to get the 580 for under $149.00US. Problem is you'd have to run it from at least a receiver. Incidentally I almost bought the RS-1.

vr6ofpain
10-20-2004, 03:20 PM
I checked the senn's I had, they were the HD-455. A model that was discontinued.

What do you guys know about the Shure E line of in ear canal phones? I was looking at the E2c, because it wouldnt have the on ear discomfort of the senn's I had, plus it would be very cool to block out outside noise, along with not disturbing those around me.

Speaking of which, do you think the Grado SR80's open design would not work in an office environment? I would like to use these phones at work, while I'm on the CPU, but do you think I would annoy others? I can't remember how loud my old senn's were to the outside environment at reasonable volume levels. I do know that they can be at loud levels. (case in point, my father bought my mother some HD-590's for Christmas last year. Whenever she listens to her music at louder levels, you can hear it in the other room, she blasts those things.)

Woochifer
10-20-2004, 04:27 PM
I checked the senn's I had, they were the HD-455. A model that was discontinued.

What do you guys know about the Shure E line of in ear canal phones? I was looking at the E2c, because it wouldnt have the on ear discomfort of the senn's I had, plus it would be very cool to block out outside noise, along with not disturbing those around me.

Speaking of which, do you think the Grado SR80's open design would not work in an office environment? I would like to use these phones at work, while I'm on the CPU, but do you think I would annoy others? I can't remember how loud my old senn's were to the outside environment at reasonable volume levels. I do know that they can be at loud levels. (case in point, my father bought my mother some HD-590's for Christmas last year. Whenever she listens to her music at louder levels, you can hear it in the other room, she blasts those things.)

The Grados and most of the Senns have an open design, and that means that indeed the sound will leak out and those cans will not block out outside noise either. If you need to seal off the sound, then obviously you need to look to closed or on-ear designs.

vr6ofpain
10-20-2004, 06:27 PM
those cans will not block out outside noise either. If you need to seal off the sound, then obviously you need to look to closed or on-ear designs.

Well I'm not worried about blocking outside noise, because the office is pretty quite for the most part. So I would be able to listen at lower volume levels, but I'm worried these will still put out enough sound to disturb others. Maybe I will just have to go with the E2c's.

Anyone have anything to say about Shure's E-line, or Etymotic ER-6.

I'm considering these:
http://headroom.headphone.com/productphotos/0020330002frontbig.JPG

or possibly these:
http://headroom.headphone.com/productphotos/0020100100frontbig.JPG

More like the Shure E2c, because it is priced better.

vr6ofpain
10-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Does anyone have these, or have input on them from personal experience...? I already read all the reviews on audioreview, but I was wondering how people might compare these PortaPro's to the SR80's? Also even though these PortaPros are considered open or semi-open, would people around you really hear them, at moderate listening levels?

The main reason I am getting these phones is for use at work in an office environment, with low walled cubicals, i.e. people all around me who don't want to hear my music.

vr6ofpain
10-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Several years ago I got bit by the headphone bug, which caused me to go out and listen to some Senn's. I really liked the comfort of the HD-580's, but I didn't even listen to them, mainly because I could not afford them, and didn't want to be tempted by their sound. I ended up listening to the HD-454(or 455, or 545, they were black with red foam on the rear of the drivers). I liked them and bought them. Little did I know but after listening them for more than a couple songs, I found the pressure of the pad against my ear(probably similar to the SR60 pad), caused my ear great discomfort. I never listened to them for more than 30-45minutes. In the end I gave them to my brother for some cash.

I saw a set on ebay! They were the HD-455. Here is a pic:

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/b0/95/98_1_b.JPG

I am amused, because the guy selling them remarks about their great comfort. That comfort(or lack of it) caused me to get rid of them.

vr6ofpain
10-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Wow did they sound good. They in a way, didn't sound like headphones(which to me is a good thing). It was hard to describe, but the sound was very clear and almost transparent. I wouldn't say there was any true imaging, but they were worlds apart from standard $20 or less phones, along with those $90 Senn HD-455's I had.

Now I need to go out and listen to some SR60's, SR80's, and maybe some 580, 590, 600, and/or 650's for reference, though I will not actually spend more than $100 on a set(so the SR80 is probably the highest I will go).

Honestly they still didnt sound insanely good, for my tastes, but they sounded quite good for headphones, which I have never really cared for. Plus contrary to what everyone else says, they are very very comfortable. The foam ear pads were soft to the ear, without any real pressure, and they were feather-like(apparently they way 9oz). I was quite impressed, but I still say speakers produce a different type of sound, which I prefer.

I am very impressed by Grado.

MikeyBC
10-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Many years ago, late 80's or early 90's I went with a friend to help him buy headphones. We both listened to the SR60's and SR80's. the 80's might have had slightly better bass but the midrange and treble seemed more laid back, sweeter and more open sounding with the 60's. The music they played for us at the time was some hard rock stuff that was probably mixed buy someone who was strung out and hung over at the time. But to our ears it sounded better with the 60's. I also listened to the grado SR 125 and they sounded even better.

vr6ofpain
10-25-2004, 10:32 AM
this might have had something to do with the pad the SR60 uses. Since it completely covers the driver it probably muffles, and maybe softens the sound a little. I honestly liked the "donut" foam on the RS-1, which is the same one used on the SR80,125,225,325, and RS-2. The SR60 is the only one that uses the foam that completely covers the driver.

Trust me though, I will definately give the 60 a listen, because hey it has received many good words, from many places(including from you), and they cost less!

Woochifer
10-25-2004, 11:13 AM
I thought that the SR80 now also includes the thicker full coverage foam pad. Grado went to the new foam pad to make it more comfortable for long-term listening, and you can order them if you want. People I know who've tried both say that the donut pad is less comfortable, but is obviously slightly more acoustically transparent.

vr6ofpain
10-26-2004, 10:35 AM
The main difference between the two models is that the SR80 uses an additional connector, which supposedly increases the bass response. The diaphragm used in both models is identical. I haven't read anything about the the SR80 being more difficult to drive than the SR60, and the SR60 is already fairly easy to drive as it is.

If the extra conductor on the SR80 resulted in significant changes to the impedance and efficiency, then I would be inclined to believe that one model would work better than the other without a headphone amp. However, both models have the same impedance and efficiency specs, so I would guess that both would work equally well. By all accounts, the significant difference between the SR60 and SR80 is the bass. I own the SR60 and they already have plenty of low end as it is. It's up to your preferences to decide whether the extra bass with the SR80 is worth the extra $20.

The Grado pads that you have to watch out for are the vinyl ones with the hollowed out middle portion. Those are supposed to be the uncomfortable ones. With the SR60 at least, Grado went to a full coverage foam pad a few years ago, and while not as comfortable as some of the Senns that I've tried, I've not had any issue with it for normal listening.

btw: the wiring might not be the only difference. According to AudioAdvisor's website, the SR60 use a 2.5" diameter housing, whereas the SR80-325 all use a 3.0" diameter housing.

This might be the cause of the bass increase with the SR80.

nick250
10-30-2004, 06:40 PM
I bought the SR80s a few years back and loved them, but found them uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so do to the doughnut cover. I found a generic headphone full foam replacement at Radio Shack for $2.50. End of problem.

trollgirl
11-02-2004, 09:03 PM
I recently acquired the Nady QH 560's, and my best friend and I compared them with his SR-60's. The Nadys SMOKED the Gradoes! Street price: $40.00. No contest.

Laz

vr6ofpain
11-03-2004, 12:30 PM
I recently acquired the Nady QH 560's, and my best friend and I compared them with his SR-60's. The Nadys SMOKED the Gradoes! Street price: $40.00. No contest.

Laz

Interesting design:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/24/245603.jpg

vshah
11-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Interesting design:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/24/245603.jpg

Has anyone else heard/seen this headphone? I just purchased a pair of Sony 7506s and wanted to know how these Nady's compare. Amazon has them for $40 for one (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002E59B4/qid=1099611492/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xglna/103-3968462-3255018?v=glance&n=507846) or TWO for $50 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002MT6VA/qid=1099611535/sr=52-3/ref=sr_52_3_etk-accessories/103-3968462-3255018?v=glance&s=electronics&n=281407)

gimmieshelter31
11-16-2004, 04:36 PM
I am surprised that noone has refered you to www.head-fi.org . This is an incredible resource for headphone related questions.

vr6ofpain
11-17-2004, 04:27 PM
wow, this place is awesome, a whole forum of headphones. I'm currently spending my lunch break reading about SR-325 modifications..!

vshah
11-17-2004, 04:50 PM
I would love to check that site out... stupid proxy at work is blocking it (along with any message board site except for this one for some reason)