I slept through Tuesday... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I slept through Tuesday...

Ex Lion Tamer
10-20-2004, 04:37 AM
...so let's start a new tradition: It's the Rave Recers Wednesday playlist!

Watched 24 hour party people again and it got me in a joy division kinda mood. Decided to commit most of my JD to CD-R, from vinyl. So I listened to just about all the Joy Division I have, (Unknown Pleasures/Closer/Still, various 12" singles) and recorded all of Pleasures and Closer about half of Still and all of the singles. What a great band they were. I also thought I'd track down the latest info on the upcoming "bio-pic" on the life of Ian Curtis, based on the book by Curtis' widow. Unfortunately I couldn't find much about the project. I did confirm that the rumors that Jude Law was going to play Curtis, were false as are the ones that connect Moby to the project. I don't think they'd make a mistake if they chose the guy who played Curtis in 24 Hour Party People. Also found a site with lyrics for just about every JD song ever written, confirms my suspicions that Curtis belongs on a short list of the greatest lyricists in the history of rock.

I did listen to other stuff too. Here's a list;

Interpol - Antics
Strokes - Room On Fire
Shins - Chutes too Narrow
Chameleons - Strange Times
Magazine - Magic, Murder & the Weather
Sparklehors - It's A Wonderful Life
Decemberists - The Tain
Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
Smog - Red Apple Falls
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings & Food
Xymox - Clan of Xymox
TV On The Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
Yes - The Yes Album
Janis Ian - Breaking Silence
Sound - Jeopardy
The Wrens - Meadowlands
Stereolab - Dots & Loops
Libertines
Steve Wynn - Here Comes the Miracles
Eels - Daisies of the Galaxy

A nice week.

So, what have you got?

tentoze
10-20-2004, 04:53 AM
I've got:

Joseph Arthur, Our Shadows Will Remain. This one's a masterpiece, boys and girls. Go buy it.
Twilight Singers, She Loves You. See above comment.
American Music Club, Love Songs For Patriots. The 1st track seems out of place with the rest of the disk to me, but that's a small snipe. Great songs.
Beatles, Revolver.
Giant Sand, Is All Over The Map
Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter, Oh, My Girl and The Reckless Burning.
Mark Lanegan Band, Bubblegum
The New Folk Implosion, S/T
Jim White, Drill A Hole In The Substrate...
Starlight Mints, The Dream That Stuff Was Made Of
Red House Painters, Retrospective
The Holy Modal Rounders and Friends, I Make A Wish For A Potato

and lots more- an excellent week, musically.

-Jar-
10-20-2004, 05:19 AM
Some Jawbox (JAWBOX - their last album)

some Red Stars Theory (LIFE IN A BUBBLE CAN BE BEAUTIFUL) (Davey, ever heard them? pretty cool instrumental post-slint stuff)..

some Katatonia (DISCOURAGED ONES)

some Gathering (MANDYLION)

Masters of Reality (LIVE AT THE VIPER ROOM)

Mike's new comp. Thanks! Lots of goodies here.

-jar

Stone
10-20-2004, 05:50 AM
A lot of first listens this week (so all these impressions are based on one listen, which was often distracted to some degree):

Arcade Fire - Funeral
I only had a very distracted listen with this one, but I think I'm going to like it.

Ted Leo + Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets
My initial impression is that I think I'll like it better than the last one, but it started to sound very samey by the end.

Isis - Panopticon
Massive, sprawling metal. This appears to be very well done, but I really wish these guys would mix the songs up more than they do by throwing in some more riffs that would make me want to bang my head. I tend to get bored by the end of the songs for most of them.

Elliott Smith - From a Basement On the Hill
Nice record, more along the lines of the last two records than either/or.

Solex - The Laughing Stock of Indie Rock
At the beginning of this record, I was really liking the strange arrangements and vocals, but by the end I was tiring of it.

I also listened to these:

Planesmistakenforstars - Up In them Guts

Helmet - Size Matters
I am not digging this one at all. The vocals ruin it for me.

Idaho - Levitate

The Gris Gris - s/t

Hop on Pop - As Drawn By Ethan, Age 2

Jim Clark
10-20-2004, 06:04 AM
Tuesday thread for the chronologically challenged? Whatever works, right? That does give me time to include 3 spins of the Le Tigre album.

Le Tigre-This Island. Le Tigre makes a synthpop album? Yeah, it's true. Pretty much gone is the punk leaving the synths and a disc full of danceable pop songs. That's not gonna fly too high around here is it? I like it quite a bit despite the rawness that evaporated from the last discs I bought from them. This disc is certainly the most consitent I've heard from them but it's not without a massive clunker. Their cover of "I'm So Excited" is tough for me to listen to more than once. Fun is going to be the most commonly used adjective for this effort, and it will be correct. Of course it also includes the songs with a political (anti war song that even works Lawrence, Ks into the lyrics) and feminist (read "dyke") slant. The common thread being that all of these songs are, well, fun.

Fiery Furnaces-Blueberry Boat. Late to the party, but just enough to be fashionably late this time. This is one of those that once you start playing everyone within earshot turns and says , "WTF?". It's going to be tough to maintain the stand that you listen to cool music when they know you were playing, and liking, this. These guys are pretty much the kings and queens of the couplet aren't they? At first it seemed that most of these lines followed the same meter. Would that be iambic pentameter? At any rate it takes some time to get into and once I was acclimated to the sing song nature of the rhymes I started enjoying it more. I'm playing it right now and it's the most enjoyable listen yet. This definetly takes some time to get into.

I Am The World Trade Center-The Cover Up. Again pretty much a straight ahead synthpop album and it's unabashedly 80's in nature with no apolgies as evidenced by the lack of any attempt to bring the tracks up to date. If you like this kind of thing there is nothing at all to find fault with. Of course I do like this kind of thing and regard it as one of the most solid synthpop albums I've heard this year. Great listen.

Regards,
jc

Davey
10-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Red Stars Theory (LIFE IN A BUBBLE CAN BE BEAUTIFUL) (Davey, ever heard them? pretty cool instrumental post-slint stuff)..
Yeah, I love that album! Used a couple songs on two or three comps including that <a href="http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbicomps.htm#Daydream">Daydream</a> one that I made mainly for <b><font color=red>you!</font></b> Hehehe, I'm always doing that with you too, huh? Nice stuff, and not even all instrumental either since they are joined by Lois Maffeo for some vocals http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Javier
10-20-2004, 09:55 AM
the mood hit me so i played:
Scherezade, Andre Previn conducting vienna philarmonic on phillips.
Nigth on the bare mountain Andre Dutoit with Montreal shymphonic.
Pictures at exhibition also with Dutoit.
Romeo and Juliet pentatone SACD ( forgot the performers)
Yes shymphonic DVD ( not clasical but and orchestra is there.

-Jar-
10-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I love that album! Used a couple songs on two or three comps including that <a href="http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbicomps.htm#Daydream">Daydream</a> one that I made mainly for <b><font color=red>you!</font></b> Hehehe, I'm always doing that with you too, huh? Nice stuff, and not even all instrumental either since they are joined by Lois Maffeo for some vocals http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

The thought crossed my mind after I posted this but I was too lazy to go back and do the research. Your name did come to my mind, so I suppose subconsciously I already knew you knew about them. Funny how sometimes a band from one source (a tape made by a friend in Texas) can seem like a different band from another source (a mix cd made by a friend in California (at the time)). Hehehe. I'll go sit in the corner now.. one of these days I'll actually buy that cd! :rolleyes:

-jar

mad rhetorik
10-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Converge: <b>Jane Doe</b>
A lot of metalheads have been raving up and down about this album, and it's been on my list for like forever, so I finally pulled the trigger and bought it. I'm glad I did. Very furious and intense, it barely ever lets up for the 40 (?) minute duration. Describing it is sort of difficult--it's not overtly "mathy" like Dillinger Escape Plan or Botch, but it's a lot harsher and less melodic and Gothernburg-influenced than most so-called "metalcore" (which is how Converge is most often described). Which is not to say that there isn't any melody--it's just obscured by the fast, dirty, harsh nature of the sound and Jacob Bannon's feral, unintelligible screams (how does he do that with his voice? Is it electronically distorted? Is he hurting himself doing that?). The production is excellent, kind of rough around the edges but not really lo-fi per se, it adds a sense of urgency to the proceedings. Every song is great, though the real killer is the 12-minute epic title track, which ends on an incredible crescendo. Definitely essential listening (Jar, PM me your addy if you're interested).

Other albums I've been listening to:
McLusky: <b>Do Dallas</b>
Charlie Parker: <b>The Bird Returns</b>
King Crimson: <b>Discipline</b>

Isis - Panopticon
Massive, sprawling metal. This appears to be very well done, but I really wish these guys would mix the songs up more than they do by throwing in some more riffs that would make me want to bang my head. I tend to get bored by the end of the songs for most of them.

Isis is not really a "headbanging" sort of band. Judging from the albums I've heard (<b>The Red Sea</b>, <b>Oceanic</b>) they are more atmospheric, sort of a metal version of Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Texture and mood are the order of the day, not all-out "slay" mode. Give it some time, Stone.

JDaniel
10-20-2004, 12:39 PM
The ones I can remember:

Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins - Neck & Neck

Jessie Sykes - O My Girl

Johnny Lang - Long Time Coming

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Live At Montreux 1982 & 1985

The Austin Lounge Lizards - Creatures From The Black Saloon

Lots of Joan Armatrading LPs

HYFI's Bruford Kits (1-3)

various John Prine

Guy Clark - Cold Dog Soup

Mike's Mid Year comp

Gotta reload the cd case - taking a road trip tomorrow for a few days.

JD

Troy
10-20-2004, 12:46 PM
I got some "Cardiacs" discs too, based on lots of conversations on another music board. I have spun one of them a lot: "Songs for Ships and Iron". Imagine a very British Oingo Boingo at their most operatic and ornate. It's pretty wild, but the vocalist grates. Anyone else around here know this band?

Pete Townshend's "White City" absolutely rocks. The only track I don't like is the single "face the Face". The rest is really strong and melodic. I like it more than any Who album. Heresy?

That "Secret Machines" disc saw some play too. I like it more than when I first got it. "Pharohs Daughter" has the best melodic hook. It's an entertaining 3.5 star disc. No amount of spins is ever gonna get me to say that the album sounds good though. It's a crap recording.

unleasHell
10-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Hey Ex Lion Tamer

can you list the link for the JD lyrics site???

I liked the actor who played Ian in 24hr Party...

Did you check out this link I posted yesterday?
http://www.newwavephotos.com/JoyDivision.htm

Also have you heard: The Wake: Harmoney + Singles
very JD like, not so much in sound as in feeling....

peace...

skewiff
10-20-2004, 01:57 PM
I got some "Cardiacs" discs too, based on lots of conversations on another music board. I have spun one of them a lot: "Songs for Ships and Iron". Imagine a very British Oingo Boingo at their most operatic and ornate. It's pretty wild, but the vocalist grates. Anyone else around here know this band?

Pete Townshend's "White City" absolutely rocks. The only track I don't like is the single "face the Face". The rest is really strong and melodic. I like it more than any Who album. Heresy?

That "Secret Machines" disc saw some play too. I like it more than when I first got it. "Pharohs Daughter" has the best melodic hook. It's an entertaining 3.5 star disc. No amount of spins is ever gonna get me to say that the album sounds good though. It's a crap recording.

Give Blood is a brilliant song, worthy of any Who Album. This really is a great album.

Tony

Davey
10-20-2004, 02:43 PM
I listened a bunch to the new Pinback <i>Summer in Abaddon</i> and like it a lot so far. Headed toward top 10 territory for me.

Also played the recent Sundazed reissue of The United States of America with the 10 bonus tracks. Likely to be the reissue of the year in Davey's world. Cool 60's pyscho pop.

And that Flaming Stars <i>Sunset & Void</i> that me and Mark talked about. Missed it in 2002 but found it earlier this year. New one soon.

And ....

Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Mekons - Journey....Night
And a few others

audiobill
10-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Walt Mink's * Miss Happiness

Melvin's * Stoner Witch

Godspeed You Black Emperor's * Lift Your Skinny Fist Like Antannae to Heaven

Jethro Tull's * Minstrel in the Gallery

Emmylou Harris' * Red Dirt Girl

Wilco's * Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Elliott Smith's * XO

Rox Sexsmith's * Whereabouts (the one with the front cover of Ron holding a blazing maple leaf in his hand)

All in all, I'm in an autumnal state of mind and the music just perfectly seals it for me.

N.P., Metallica's "Master of Puppets"

unleasHell
10-20-2004, 02:51 PM
what am I listening to?

Hawkwind: 1st release (Remastered)

Far Out: 1st (and only) release (Remastered)

Appliance: Manual (soon Jim, soon)

Jim Clark
10-20-2004, 02:58 PM
what am I listening to?

Hawkwind: 1st release (Remastered)

Far Out: 1st (and only) release (Remastered)

Appliance: Manual (soon Jim, soon)

hehe, not worried about a single solitary thing. Coulda, woulda, shoulda bought the thing off ebay anyway. I guess opening the Visa bill right before that had me overreacting a bit in the opposite direction. I couldn't help but notice that this month's bill just showed up today...

I need a raise and I need to get back to ordering online and quit browsing Borders, which actually has a reasonable selection and a really nifty 'search store inventory' feature online. That's where the problems begin.

jc

Davey
10-20-2004, 04:16 PM
The thought crossed my mind after I posted this but I was too lazy to go back and do the research.
Hehehe, you do owe it to yourself to do some research on the new Pinback album. Really incredible stuff. Might be the only album someone like you or me really needs :)

Yeah, I know, too much hyperbole. It's kind of like a parallel universe version of that Appleseed Cast album that opened the comp we were just talking about - but mixed with that very cool ringing guitar sound of American Analog Set. Plays right to my soft spot(s) :)

Celtic Bob
10-20-2004, 05:13 PM
This past week for me been....
U2 - Joshua Tree (LP)
Starz - s/t (LP)
The History of Tuff
Microwave Dave and the Nukes - Goodnight Now
Love - Forever Changes
U2 - Rattle and Hum
Naked Beggars
Duran Duran - Greatest

Davey
10-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Arcade Fire - Funeral
I only had a very distracted listen with this one, but I think I'm going to like it.

Solex - The Laughing Stock of Indie Rock
At the beginning of this record, I was really liking the strange arrangements and vocals, but by the end I was tiring of it.

Hey, I don't see any mention of the Glaswegians that are responsible for your latest avatar!? What's the deal? Are you a big fan of the Delgados? I'd rather listen to their Franz Ferdinand countrymen myself, but I know the Delgados have a pretty loyal following. Cool cover.

I loved that previous Solex album (and lots of the one before that too) but what I've read of the newest is that it isn't nearly as interesting or as good. And both you and Dusty seem to agree with the reviews. Too bad, she's a treat.

And you are gonna like Arcade Fire, at least for the amazing "Neighborhood" suite. Especially the "(Power Out)" section, that's my favorite :)

Pat D
10-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Unusual stuff. Of course, I listened to some better known music such as Mozart's Horn Concertos, Haydn's Symphony no. 77, a delightful work, some Italian Baroque trumpet concertos on Nimbus, and so on. But when my wife went off to a conference for two days, I took some time to listen to Mayuzumi, as I am pretty sure she wouldn't like it and many others wouldn't like it either. It sounds rather dark and often clangy to Western ears.

Toshiro Mayuzumi (1929-1997) is a Japanese composer who studied some in Europe and was influenced by the music of Edgar Varese, Schoenberg, Messaien, and Boulez. He wrote some film music, notably the music for The Bible. He was greatly interested in the analysis of the sounds of Buddhist temple bells. He wrote only two symphonies as far as I know, and I have two recordings each of the Nirvana Symphony and the Mandala Symphony. I don't really like the Mandala Symphony myself. Anyway, here are the recordings I listened to:

Mayuzumi, Nirvana and Mandala Symphonies. Yozo Toyama and Kazuo Yamada, NHK Symphony Orchestra, Japan Chorus Union. Philips LP 9500 762.

Akira Myoshi Concerto for Orchestra; Toru Takemitsu, Textures; Toshiro Mayuzumi, Mandala Symphony. Hiroyuki Iwaki, NHK Symphony Orchestra. Columbia Odyssey LP 32 160152

Mayuzumi, Nirvana-Symphony; Buddhist Chant of Yakushiji Temple. Hiroyuki Iwaki, Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra, Tokyo Philharmonic Chorus; monks of the Yakushiji Temple. Denon CO-78839. This is a magnificent recording, I must say, whether you like the work or not. I really wish I knew what the words were (translated, of course!), but neither this nor the Philips recording provides them.

Mayuzumi, Phonologie Symphonique, Bacchanale, Samsara. Yoshikazu Fukumura, Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra. Marco Polo 8.220297. Samsara is actually the first work of Mayuzumi's I heard, on a Louisville LP with the Louisville Orchestra. I didn't play it because there really is little to choose in the performance and the Hong Kong recording is slightly better--both are very good, however. The big work here is the Samsara tone poem, a very tightly organized work. It does sound rather dark and depressive at time to some and it involves a range of percussion from drums to bells. I, however, have always found it to be a strangely relaxing piece! Some (my wife included) call me eccentric . . . ;)

Now, I know there is a Mayuzumi piece for strings called Essai, which I understand is quite nice and pretty, but I never found the recording.

Stone
10-21-2004, 05:26 AM
Hey, I don't see any mention of the Glaswegians that are responsible for your latest avatar!? What's the deal? Are you a big fan of the Delgados? I'd rather listen to their Franz Ferdinand countrymen myself, but I know the Delgados have a pretty loyal following. Cool cover.

I'm definitely a fan of the Delgados (at least their recent stuff). I really like The Great Eastern and especially Hate, even though some were turned off by the Dave Fridmann production of the latter album. The new one doesn't have that over-the-top production and appears to have less strings, but the songs are very good. I don't know whether I listened to it last week or not; I don't keep a nice neat pile like I used to - I list strictly on memory now.

I loved that previous Solex album (and lots of the one before that too) but what I've read of the newest is that it isn't nearly as interesting or as good. And both you and Dusty seem to agree with the reviews. Too bad, she's a treat.

Yeah, I have Low Kick and Hard Bop too, and really like it. By the end of the new album I was thinking she was doing things simply for the sake of experimentation, and not all of the experimentation worked musically. Jury's definitely still out on that one, though.

Stone
10-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Isis is not really a "headbanging" sort of band. Judging from the albums I've heard (<b>The Red Sea</b>, <b>Oceanic</b>) they are more atmospheric, sort of a metal version of Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Texture and mood are the order of the day, not all-out "slay" mode. Give it some time, Stone.

Yeah, I know their style. Maybe headbanging wasn't the right terminology. Their songs seem to build somewhat, but I guess I wish they built more. To me they seem to build to a point, then plod along for 8 minutes, and by the end I'm bored with it. I had the same complaint about Oceanic too (http://forums.audioreview.com/html/audio/10/0EF93E1D.php). That's the same reason I really don't get into much post-rock stuff. There's a lot of long drawn out passages and at the end I feel like they didn't go anywhere. I'm not saying the new Isis is bad, just it would be a lot better (to me) if the songs had a much more pronounced buildup or climax that really kept me interested in the songs. I will give it more time, and who knows, maybe it'll really catch me after a few more listens.

Stone

Davey
10-21-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm definitely a fan of the Delgados (at least their recent stuff). I really like The Great Eastern and especially Hate, even though some were turned off by the Dave Fridmann production of the latter album. The new one doesn't have that over-the-top production and appears to have less strings, but the songs are very good.
Come to think of it, I really don't know much about the Delgados. Can't recall at the moment if I've even heard any songs. Must've shown up on some comps but I don't have my collection here with me. Which one of their albums would you suggest a newbie start with? Opinions welcome from one and all! Maybe I'll try to find some good samples online....

Flaming Stars NPing again right now, Sunset & Void. Really nice album, but I have read that some people don't care for his voice. Reminds me a little of that guy who sings for Calla (in addition to the standard Tindersticks/Nick Cave/Iggy Pop similarities). New one from Pinback on deck, and boyo, I do like it a lot.

ForeverAutumn
10-21-2004, 11:19 AM
I don't have time to post my list for the week, I'm trapped in a hotel at a four day conference. I just wanted to say that I've been listening to Death Cab For Cutie's, Transatlanticism and I'm really enjoying it.

I know that I'm late to jump on the bandwagon for this one, but it was Uncle Swishy who made the rec that broke the camel's back and got me to buy it. Thanks Swisharama!

Also, I bought this little speaker that plugs into my walkman and then sits under my pillow softly playing while I fall asleep. Talk about newly found listening time! Last night I fell asleep with Rik Emmett in my bed. <sigh> ;)

:D

Ex Lion Tamer
10-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Hey Ex Lion Tamer

can you list the link for the JD lyrics site???

http://joydivision.homestead.com/lyrics.html

Did you check out this link I posted yesterday?
http://www.newwavephotos.com/JoyDivision.htm...

Yeah, awesome site with some awesome photos, I spent about half an hour there yesterday, about a half an hour more than I had to spend, and barely scratched the surface. Thanks for the link.

have you heard: The Wake: Harmoney + Singles Never heard them but I'll check them out. Thanks.