RPTV congervence went bad??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RPTV congervence went bad???

jayshen
10-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Got a 4 yr old Toshiba 40H80 and all of the sudden the Red Gun convergence went all wacky. (way off on the right side, not so bad in the middle way off on the left) There is no way adjusting the convergence with the remote will bring it in. The other two colors are fine. Is this an easy/cheap repair?

BRANDONH
10-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Got a 4 yr old Toshiba 40H80 and all of the sudden the Red Gun convergence went all wacky. (way off on the right side, not so bad in the middle way off on the left) There is no way adjusting the convergence with the remote will bring it in. The other two colors are fine. Is this an easy/cheap repair?

What happens when you bring up the convergence adjustment screen?

jayshen
10-20-2004, 03:18 PM
What happens when you bring up the convergence adjustment screen?

Some of the convergence targets I can line up and some have the red cross a couple of inches off in the vertical axis.
The targets are like this

1 2 3
4 5
6 7 8

the corners 3 and 6 and way off, 1 is ok the rest are a little off

kfalls
10-21-2004, 05:23 AM
I had a similar problem with my Pioneer Pro-100. I'm told the problem is with a bad convergence chip requiring replacement (not adjustable). I bought a new Hitachi set, but plan to look at Pioneer in my spare time. The fix is about $1000 at the repair shop, so I don't have a lot to lose since my set was over 5 years old.

jayshen
10-21-2004, 10:37 AM
I had a similar problem with my Pioneer Pro-100. I'm told the problem is with a bad convergence chip requiring replacement (not adjustable). I bought a new Hitachi set, but plan to look at Pioneer in my spare time. The fix is about $1000 at the repair shop, so I don't have a lot to lose since my set was over 5 years old.

Thanks kfalls, I figured it was probably a bad board or IC, if it costs around 1000 I'll just get a new one as well.

BRANDONH
10-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Some of the convergence targets I can line up and some have the red cross a couple of inches off in the vertical axis.
The targets are like this

1 2 3
4 5
6 7 8

the corners 3 and 6 and way off, 1 is ok the rest are a little off
There should be a way to reset the set back to factory specifications, in essence you reboot the system, but just turning it off and then on again is not the same as resetting it.
Note: you will loose all your previous settings.
The owners manual should tell you how to reset it back to factory specifications if not then You could try calling Toshiba.
If that does not work I couldnt guess what is wrong or how much it will cost. and if it does cost a 1000.00 ouch.