Any advice on (noncomputer) DVD recorders? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on (noncomputer) DVD recorders?

hershon
10-18-2004, 08:27 PM
While I'm totally happy with my computer DVD burner (for which I will continue to burn DVD clones from comercial DVD's using DVD shrink program & getting 5.1 sound), for a miriad of other reasons, I am planning to buy (a noncomputer) DVD recorder. My main use for this recorder is: 1. To copy a bunch of my VHS recordings to DVD, 2. To also copy and/or reuse TV shows. For some reason, on my HP Media Center Computer I can make DVD copies of TV shows but they'll only play on my computer- strange but true, so I therefore will be buying a standalone one.

A few questions for anyone knowledgeable on this: 1. Is it true these DVD recorders won't record 5.1 surround sound, 2. Which brands/models do you recommend- obviously the cheaper the better if the end DVD result is basically the same. I'm assuming there are no HD DVD recorders under $500? If there are please let me know. Right now, I'm leaning towards for $180.00 on sale Lite-On DVD Player/Recorder (LV-W5001) It lists under the advertising blurb "Digital audio: Take advantage of Dolby® and DTS™ compatibility for terrific digital sound"- does this mean it records in 5.1 surround sound? The only drawback I see in this model is you can only record 6 hours on DVD and for "throwaway
DVDRW recordings of TV shows" I'd prefer 8 hours as minor quality differences in a TV picture are not important to me if they're shows I'll rerecord on." Any comments pro or con? Any other recommendations? Your help will be much appreciated.

JDaniel
10-20-2004, 09:11 AM
A few questions for anyone knowledgeable on this: 1. Is it true these DVD recorders won't record 5.1 surround sound, 2. Which brands/models do you recommend- obviously the cheaper the better if the end DVD result is basically the same. I'm assuming there are no HD DVD recorders under $500? If there are please let me know. Right now, I'm leaning towards for $180.00 on sale Lite-On DVD Player/Recorder (LV-W5001) It lists under the advertising blurb "Digital audio: Take advantage of Dolby® and DTS™ compatibility for terrific digital sound"- does this mean it records in 5.1 surround sound? The only drawback I see in this model is you can only record 6 hours on DVD and for "throwaway
DVDRW recordings of TV shows" I'd prefer 8 hours as minor quality differences in a TV picture are not important to me if they're shows I'll rerecord on." Any comments pro or con? Any other recommendations? Your help will be much appreciated.

I recently bought a Gateway AR-230 DVD Recorder. Gateway is getting out of the consumer electronics market, and have all their stuff clearanced. I actually picked this one up for $125 new. Some internet research I found said this is a repackaged Liteon LWV-5001, so you might want to check out the Gateway as it is the same/similar model you are considering. I bought it strictly to transfer a bunch of old home videos of various format (VHS, VHS-C, Hi-8 etc.). So far, it has worked flawlessly. Their are hacks available to make it region free, etc.

Advantages - easy to use. Even plays my jpeg picture cds as a slideshow. Front A/V inputs are convenient too. Gold color looks good too.

Main disadvantage (not for me, but possibly others) - it only has the one tray. No 2nd dvd player tray, no vcr in same unit. So if you are doing analog X-fers, you have to use the AV inputs.

Mine does have DD, DTS audio options, but I can't answer as to whether it records in DD5.1, or only plays it. I don't have access to any 5.1 broadcasts to test it on. I have recorded normal TV, and it works fine.

Hope that helps.

JD

hershon
10-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the info. I may be considering this model which I see on Ebay quite a bit. For your info, I also see that someone is selling for about $100 on Ebay a device that decrypts the commercial DVD "blocker" so you can copy commercial DVD's just like you can on a computer DVD burner with a free program like DVD shrink.
I recently bought a Gateway AR-230 DVD Recorder. Gateway is getting out of the consumer electronics market, and have all their stuff clearanced. I actually picked this one up for $125 new. Some internet research I found said this is a repackaged Liteon LWV-5001, so you might want to check out the Gateway as it is the same/similar model you are considering. I bought it strictly to transfer a bunch of old home videos of various format (VHS, VHS-C, Hi-8 etc.). So far, it has worked flawlessly. Their are hacks available to make it region free, etc.

Advantages - easy to use. Even plays my jpeg picture cds as a slideshow. Front A/V inputs are convenient too. Gold color looks good too.

Main disadvantage (not for me, but possibly others) - it only has the one tray. No 2nd dvd player tray, no vcr in same unit. So if you are doing analog X-fers, you have to use the AV inputs.

Mine does have DD, DTS audio options, but I can't answer as to whether it records in DD5.1, or only plays it. I don't have access to any 5.1 broadcasts to test it on. I have recorded normal TV, and it works fine.

Hope that helps.

JD