Team America [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Team America

GrendelZ
10-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Well I saw this saturday,how can I begin to describe it.Its absolutly hilarious,I mean laugh out loud,fall down funny.I was aprehensive about it because im not a huge Parker/Stone fan but they have outdone themselves here.It is WAY over the top and maybe a little too profane for some,but the laughs just keep coming.The infamous sex scene was left in (I had heard they cut it) and thank goodness,its the funniest part.The people in the theater with me were still laughing long after the scene had ended,it makes me smile just thinking about it.But best of all is the treatment the pretentious,preachy,holier than thou actors get.Every time from now on when they spout off I will think of what orginazation they belong to,the
Film Actors Guild,you figure it out.Its about time someone took it to them.I would tell you if you love political humor,mixed with LOTS of profanity then definitely go see this.

Retardking
10-19-2004, 04:43 AM
I was surprised by this movie. It made South Park seem like a children's show. Team America is one of the most vulgar movies I have ever seen. And I enjoyed the heck out of it. Much like the South Park movie, it is a lot better than most people will give it credit for being. The humor is over the top most of the time, but there are some more subtle hilarious parts too. The music is very good (crude, but good). And they made a full length movie with freakin' puppets! The movie may not have had the same effect if they hadn't used puppets. They really took a chance and it paid off.

I'm still waiting for those actors potrayed in the movie to start hinting at lawsuits against Parker and Stone!

Worf101
10-19-2004, 06:26 AM
I was waiting to decide whether to see this or not, guess I'm going on Saturday night. Question though, is it too vulgar to take an impressionable 11 year old to? Enquring minds wanna know...

Da Worfster. :confused:

Troy
10-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Saw it on the weekend.

Way WAY too much for an 11 year old.

The funniest movie I've seen in a looong time. Man, was that filthy or what? Gawd!

What I really find hillarious is all the nods to the 60s British sci fi puppet TV shows like Supercar, Fireball XL5 and Thunderbirds that I grew up watching. There are dozens of references to these lost childrens shows in Team America. And I bet that 90% of the people in the theater when I saw it were too young to even know these shows exist. Did you younger guys know about these shows?

The first 30 minutes had the entire theater in tears. I suppose it depends on your political bent, but I found the depiction of the American military's brutal jingoism to be the funniest part and that a lot of the Hollywood star gags fell flat. But I roared at just about everything. Kim Jung Il is not gonna be very happy being depicted as a giant cockroach from space, I think. I hear that Sean Penn is really furious too.

The sex scene was a beauty. If that was done with real actors it would have had to have been rated X. Ditto the violence. I loved the "panther" scene. The puppets looked really creepy when they were dead. Those bodies floating in the Panama flood were shockingly morbid. It was weird how affecting that was, moreso than if they had been people. They just look more dead than people can.

And the songs! "America, Fuk YEAH, gonna tell the world to lick my balls!" is a spectacular anthem that I can't WAIT to see used during July 4th fireworks shows in place of "Proud to be an 'Merican!" I also loved the love song about how bad the movie Pearl Harbor was that used lyrical analogies like "I need you like Ben Afleck needs acting lessons". I was crying, I was laughing so hard.

Lots of reviewers are panning this movie because it pulls no punches on ANYTHING. It's interesting to see which reviewers have limited senses of humor. To those guys who say that you can't joke about terrorism I have 2 words for you. Doctor Strangelove. THAT movie was very controversial on first release too. Many reviewers thought it was too sensitive a subject, but part of Strangelove's long term glory is that it was the first movie to have the balls to make a joke of what was, until that point a very taboo subject. Team America is way more juvenile and low brow to be sure, but I personally, can't miss the parallel. I wonder if Parker and Stone even realized what they were doing . . .

GrendelZ
10-19-2004, 01:54 PM
I would keep an 11 year old FAR away unless you want them to curse like Tupac.The kids I saw coming out were cursing like crazy,I still dont know how they got in.They were all singing the America *&#@ yeah song.

kexodusc
10-20-2004, 04:28 AM
Agreed!
While the plot and some of the cheap-pop jokes were a little tiring and disappointing at times (you can tell anything Stone and Parker put their hands on - this could have easily been a 1-1/2 hour episode of South Park) the absolutely hillarious songs and excellent use of puppets made this film worth the price of a ticket!!!
In fact, the songs transcended this movie!!! I have a feeling the movie was just a tool to give the songs a proper forum...
The 1st 1/2 hour or so is so good that the rest of the movie has problems keeping up...

My only advise...if youre fiancee is a highly educated person with any class whatsoever, leave her at home or she'll ruin it for you and make you feel guilty for watching. :mad:

I had to go back and watch it a 2nd time with my dumb hockey team buddies to really enjoy the whole thing.

My Dad served in Desert Storm, Afghanistan, and several other UN tours and he loved it too...I don't understand the "un-patriotic" complaints...sometimes the truth hurts, I guess.

My favorite songs had to be the Pearl Harbor ditty..."Freedom costs a buck-o-five" was a wicked line, and of course the "America, **** Yeah!" Anthem.

I can't wait for the uncut DVD!!!

alumpkin
10-20-2004, 05:59 AM
I just wanted to say that I watched it this past weekend and thought it was probably the funniest movie I have ever seen. Seriously and honestly, the funniest - not just using the expression. The sex scene and the barf scene almost made me choke/cry they were so funny. This is the first movie I have ever been to were the entire audience were laughing out loud.

Although I have to say that I laughed just as hard, if not harder, about the Matt Damon puppet. I went to the movie with my brother and now everytime we talk, one of us will always start the conversation with "Matt Damon." I am laughing thinking about it now.

Worf101
10-20-2004, 07:08 AM
I would keep an 11 year old FAR away unless you want them to curse like Tupac.The kids I saw coming out were cursing like crazy,I still dont know how they got in.They were all singing the America *&#@ yeah song.

Thanks for the information man, that's quite helpful and real funny...

Da Worfster
:D

kexodusc
10-20-2004, 07:52 AM
This is probably none of my business, but I would sincerely and respectfully ask without judgement, from the perspective of a future father, why an 11 year old shouldn't be exposed to this film in the presence of a guardian who could discusses what he sees? (I woudldn't send him in alone).

There is a ton of cursing, but I'm sure it is a mouse fart compared to what he hears everyday on the school grounds...if anything, the puppet sex scene is worse but he probably knows more about that stuff than I do.

Wouldn't you rather be there with him than for him to hear about it and see it at a friends? Wasn't this what the "South Park" movie was about? At what age could he start to be exposed to stuff like this?

...(thinking maybe I've answered my own questions)

Dusty Chalk
10-21-2004, 11:20 AM
I miss you like Michael Bay missed the mark...

I loved the songs, they were the best part about the film.

Disclaimer -- I was in a really foul mood when I saw the film.

I still liked it. Vile beyond words. The throwing up scene alone should discourage anyone but those with the strongest constitutions. But if you like your cliche's exaggerated to the point of satire, this movie is for you. I liked the Bummer Remix of that anthemic piece to which Troy referred. That scene where everyone was...well, bummin'.

I think a lot of kids just won't get it. For example, when Wormwood (or whatever his name was) calls the main character a "renegade maverick", you won't get it unless you've seen Top Gun (and practically every other Tom Cruise movie from that era).