Ascend vs. B&W [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ascend vs. B&W

HTME123
10-18-2004, 06:14 PM
I am in the market for a new home theater system and though price is definately a factor in my selection I have had my eye on B&W for a long time. I was thinking of getting four DM600 S3 a LCR60 S3 as my center channel. However, recently I have come across Ascend Acoustics speaker package composed of four CBM-170 and a CMT-340c for a center. Which do you think is a better package for the money and what sub and receiver would you match with this system when you can only spend $400 for each? Any advice would be extremely helpful!
Thanks

Lord Nikon
10-18-2004, 06:45 PM
I have the ascend 340c and the 170 mains... getting ready to upgade my mains to 340m which you should look in to. :) I am running a velodyne sub I got at Circuit City for $300

lbhkilla
10-18-2004, 07:39 PM
I'm about to buy some DM601s. I was going to get the 600s with the LCR60 to save some cash, but after listening to the 601s next to the 600s, they are definitly worth the extra cash. The 600s would be fine for the rear channels though.

prash
10-21-2004, 03:06 PM
whats u'r budget for the 5.1 system ? what does the B&W 5.1 cost ?

I have had the Ascend 5.1 system with CBMs for mains and HTMs for sorrounds and HSU VTF-1 for a sub for 3 years now and have not had even a moments regret.

The b&Ws r good, but the Ascends blow away anything else when it comes to value for money.

-prashanth

I am in the market for a new home theater system and though price is definately a factor in my selection I have had my eye on B&W for a long time. I was thinking of getting four DM600 S3 a LCR60 S3 as my center channel. However, recently I have come across Ascend Acoustics speaker package composed of four CBM-170 and a CMT-340c for a center. Which do you think is a better package for the money and what sub and receiver would you match with this system when you can only spend $400 for each? Any advice would be extremely helpful!
Thanks