Newbie "Up-Conversion" question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie "Up-Conversion" question

wmelton
10-18-2004, 01:11 PM
I will be purchasing a new A/V receiver to use with a HDTV. I am planning to connect the HDTV to the receiver via a Component cable. I'm sure watching sources with Component outputs (DVD, HD Cable) will be no issue however I'm confused about a VCR w/ composite or a TiVo DVR with S-Video.

Is "up-conversion" required to view the non-Component source on the HDTV through the receiver via Component?

If a receiver states "Composite -> S-Video" up-conversion but not "Composite -> S-Video -> Component, would I have to have a second (S-Video) connection to the HDTV from the receiver to view the non-Component source?

Thanks in advance,

Walt

Woochifer
10-18-2004, 05:29 PM
If the literature does not explicitly say that it upconverts the video signal to component video, then you should assume that the receiver does not do that conversion. If you wind up with a receiver that does the upconversion only to S-vid, then you will need to run the S-vid cable to your HDTV. The receiver should pass any component video signals through the component outputs. It's just less convenient because you have to manually switch between the S-Vid and component inputs on your TV.

spacedeckman
10-18-2004, 06:06 PM
of transmission, not the quality of the picture.

Buy a receiver from one of the better companies (Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, hk,...) and you will be virtually guaranteed decent switching components in the circuits. Avoid the real cheap stuff, and you will be okay.