Yamaha owners... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha owners...

Lord Nikon
10-18-2004, 07:40 AM
When listening to cd's which sound mode do you use? I am under the impression that cd's should be listened to in L/R speaker format and not L/R/Center?

JSE
10-18-2004, 12:26 PM
It's really up to you. I generally listen in 2 channel but there are some recordings that just sound better in DTS Neo 6 or 7 Channel Stereo and others. I really like DTS Neo 6 for some music. But then again, I don't consider myself a "critical" listener. For example, Tool CDs sound unbelievable in DTS Neo 6. Some people would never even consider Neo 6 or other formats as a viable format for CDs. Go with what you like.

JSE

Eric Z
10-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm on the exact same page as JSE- sometimes 2 channel and sometimes Neo 6. It sounds great both ways, but sometimes I like to hear some of the vocals coming from my center channel- I guess I may as well get my money's worth, haha!

kpzbee
10-18-2004, 01:59 PM
It's really up to you. I generally listen in 2 channel but there are some recordings that just sound better in DTS Neo 6 or 7 Channel Stereo and others. I really like DTS Neo 6 for some music. But then again, I don't consider myself a "critical" listener.

I'm pretty much the same. I like the 7 channel stereo the best.

kfalls
10-19-2004, 05:36 AM
I'm not into the different programs that much, but I do like to listen occasionally to one of the Yamaha' s Jazz club DSPs, 5/6 channel stereo, Pro Ligic II, or direct two-channel. If you have speakers that image real well, it's amazing how many people think the center is still on during direct two-channel listening. They have to put their ear to the speaker to be convinced. IMO Yamaha is king when it comes to DSP programs, with a possible exception of Lexicon. Both have many programs to choose from and customizing controls to suit your tastes and environment.