DVD Player in $150-$500 range [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player in $150-$500 range

MikeInMo
12-11-2003, 12:37 PM
It is time for me to upgrade my dvd player and move my old early second generation DVD (Teac 2107) from the HT room to a secondary viewing room. I am looking for suggestions that will allow for my system's future growth. The unit will be 90%HT and 10%music. (I know many frown on combining the 2 uses but given the limited listening time I have 2 separate equipment investments are not practical). I would hate to close myself out of any formats, (CDR, VCD, SACD, DVD-A etc.). Also I have small children and their disks get watched over and over and handled with sticky fingers so minor scratching occurs therefore I need a player that is not tempermental.

I currently am using a 36" Sony but plan to move to a projection system in the next 2-4 years (ok, maybe 3-5 years). Rest of system is B&K with DefTech speakers.

It's been too long since I've done much research and am feeling out of the loop. Please help bring me and my system up to speed.

JDaniel
12-11-2003, 01:41 PM
I'd give a serious look at the Pioneer DV-563A. For the price ($179), it gives a lot of options, including DVD-Audio and SACD playback. It also does MP3 and WMA playback.

I don't own one, so I can't give a 1st hand review. But it is the best priced of the universal players.

JD