Connection Help needed. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Connection Help needed.

azbank
12-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Hello all, need your help.

I bought new 5.1 channel DTS DVD player with optical outputs and etc.
I also bought a new XR25 panasonic dts receiver.

What is the best way to connect the dvd to a receiver in terms of surround sound ?

1) I can connect each DTS output on the DVD ( there are 6 outputs including the sub.) to my receiver’s DTS inputs and then from DTS channels on the receiver connect the speakers.

or:

2) Connect DVD ( digital optical audio out ) to the receiver’s optical audio in. Then use receiver’s DTS outputs to connect the speakers.

Please tell me what is the best way to connect the dvd so I can get the best surround sound processing. I appreciate your help, as I am totally new to these things.

Thanks and best regards.

woodman
12-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Hello all, need your help.

I bought new 5.1 channel DTS DVD player with optical outputs and etc.
I also bought a new XR25 panasonic dts receiver.

What is the best way to connect the dvd to a receiver in terms of surround sound ?

1) I can connect each DTS output on the DVD ( there are 6 outputs including the sub.) to my receiver’s DTS inputs and then from DTS channels on the receiver connect the speakers.

or:

2) Connect DVD ( digital optical audio out ) to the receiver’s optical audio in. Then use receiver’s DTS outputs to connect the speakers.

Please tell me what is the best way to connect the dvd so I can get the best surround sound processing. I appreciate your help, as I am totally new to these things.

Thanks and best regards.

You have two choices of how to make this hookup. The one where you connect 6 separate cables from the DVD player to the receiver is basically provided for the playing of DVD-Audio discs - not for the playback of DVD soundtracks. It could be used for this purpose however IF the DVD player has DTS and DD decoding onboard, and can send the 6 discrete channels of surround sound to the receiver.

If you don't have any DVD-A discs and are not planning to get any, then hookup #2 above is probably your best choice.

Hope this helps you

woodman

azbank
12-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Thank you!

The DVD has BUILT IN 5.1 DOLBY DIGITAL DECODER

I can connect it either way., what I don't know is if the optical connection splits the sound into surround. and if this option (optical) is better than 6 cable hook-up, in terms of surround sound processing.

Thanks,
azbank

JDaniel
12-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Thank you!

The DVD has BUILT IN 5.1 DOLBY DIGITAL DECODER

I can connect it either way., what I don't know is if the optical connection splits the sound into surround. and if this option (optical) is better than 6 cable hook-up, in terms of surround sound processing.

Thanks,
azbank

As Woodman said, either will work fine. For me, it's a no-brainer - one cable vs. 6. It's already a spaghetti mess of cables back there anyway. Why complicate it with 5 extras.

Basically, with the 6 analog connections, the DVD player is doing the decoding. With the digital/optical connection, the receiver is doing the decoding. To answer your specific question, yes, the optical does split/route the surround sound to the proper channels.

You don't mention your brand/model of DVD player, so we can't give an opinion as to which might be better at decoding (receiver vs. dvd player).

And please note that depending on which hookup you use, you will have to go into the dvd player's menu and tell it the correct one, or you may end up with no sound, or only stereo sound.

JD