Speaker Cabinet Buzzing [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Cabinet Buzzing

mr. grieves
10-17-2004, 09:44 AM
I have a pair of JBL800s that I've had for about 6 years. I've noticed a buzzing sound when listening to music at reasonably high volumes and traced it to the bottom edge of one of the speaker cabinets. It appears that the edge extending from the front to back of the cabinet at the lower right corner is slightly separated and I can feel a lot of vibration when I touch the speaker there with music playing. The other speaker has no such vibration and when I squeeze the edge together on the offending speaker the vibration and buzzing sound disappears.

I had a tweeter replaced in this speaker a while back and I'm wondering if they didn't close the cabinet properly. Is there anyway for me to fix this easily?

Lensman
10-18-2004, 11:02 PM
I have a pair of JBL800s that I've had for about 6 years. I've noticed a buzzing sound when listening to music at reasonably high volumes and traced it to the bottom edge of one of the speaker cabinets. It appears that the edge extending from the front to back of the cabinet at the lower right corner is slightly separated and I can feel a lot of vibration when I touch the speaker there with music playing. The other speaker has no such vibration and when I squeeze the edge together on the offending speaker the vibration and buzzing sound disappears.

I had a tweeter replaced in this speaker a while back and I'm wondering if they didn't close the cabinet properly. Is there anyway for me to fix this easily?

With luck only the outside of the cabinet is separated and your internal bracing is okay. Can you only hear the buzzing sound from around the corner that came apart?

If yes, you should be able to glue the cabinet back together with Carpernter's Wood Glue, which can be found at any home imrpovement store or a lot of other places (even Wal-Mart). This looks a lot like regular Elmer's glue except it's tan in color. As you've discovered, your speakers create air pressure in the cabinets when they are playing. This is crucial for the speakers to work properly. So you need to try to reseal the box as air-tight as possible.

Apply a generous amount of wood glue to the entire surface of the crack. The cabinet will need to be held together while the glue dries. You can use clamps or rachet straps like the ones used to hold lugguage on top of cars. You can even use bungie cords. Just make sure the cabinet is held together reasonably well, but not so tight that it squeezes too much glue back out of the joint. Let the glue dry at least 24 hours before removing the clamps/straps and hooking the speaker back up.