On a Budget...Cheapo Altec Santana II's or (double price) Klipsch Heresy's??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : On a Budget...Cheapo Altec Santana II's or (double price) Klipsch Heresy's???

Sunrayman
10-16-2004, 10:35 PM
That's my question...For a second room set up on a budget...do I get the $200 - 300 1978 Altec Santana II's (two-way system no horns, 89 db sensitivity, 25-140 watts, 107 db max spl) or spend about $350 - 450 for 70's-80's Klipsch Heresy's or Heresy II's (three way system horns, 98 db sensitivity, 25-100 rms, 150 peaks?, 110? db max spl)

I really can't afford the klipsch now...but will I regret buying the cheaper Altecs??? I use e-bay often, but what do y'all do when they're in front of you???
"Sunrayman"

Jimmy C
10-18-2004, 02:51 PM
...I'll take this opportunity to reccommend the Dayton BR1 kit. Yes, you must assemble it (not too bad at all) and you can't actually demo it B4 buying, but it sounds REALLY good for $139.

Yes - a slight chance taken (BUT - not talking Enron stock, here) for a second system... I think they are PERFECT! No, they don't have the sensitivity of the Ks (I'm not a huge fan, BTW) but they WILL fill the room with music. Easy on the ears and fun to build.

Either the thought of assembling interests you, or it's a major put-off - I understand. If you are of the previous camp, I would give her a shot!

spacedeckman
10-22-2004, 09:07 PM
You couldn't pay me to take the Klipsch, so, the Altecs would be looking better. But, there are 500 brands of speakers in the US, and some of them don't suck.