Thiel 3.6 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thiel 3.6

love2listen
10-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Looking for any experience anyone has had with Thiel 3.6's and the amps used to drive them!!!

RGA
10-15-2004, 11:01 PM
What do you think of them? There are wildly different takes on Thiel speakers - they measure well as measuring crowds will note. I was not thrilled with what I heard but that was years ago. Thing is tastes are different - you need a high power amp to run them well.

Try and listen to several different designs - Thiel certainly has a camp of supporters as some people like this who feel differently(though about the 2.4) http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=speakers&n=152122&review=1

But do listen for yourself. When you do listen listen for the cohesiveness of the sound from top to bottom - I have had trouble getting excited by speaker above 2-ways and the Thiels have their drivers very far apart - so despite their supposed time alignment - I'm not sure why I heard the woofer seemingly disconnected from the treble - in some ways it reminded me of the problems I have with Martin Logan - though minor quibbles still something to really listen for. Speaking of Martin Logan - also worth a listen - neither are going to really ROCK that well but you might like the holographics the ML's produce.

After you read the reviews pay close attention the replies at the bottom - you'll notice the running theme that they are NOT room friendly they are picky about amps etc --- usually when things like this continuosuly get said they are speakers i would tend to avoid.

I know too many people who spend months and years trying to get their speakers to sound right by room treatments position changes more treatments, cables amps changes various equalizers until finally they realize that "oh hell it was the speaker all along."

I'd be REALLY careful about this brand if I were you and be prepared to really really work at getting them right.

Geoffcin
10-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Looking for any experience anyone has had with Thiel 3.6's and the amps used to drive them!!!

True full range floor standing speakers. If your room is smaller than 18' deep, I would seriously NOT reccomend them for you. You need to have to room for these speakers to develop thier true nature. If you do, then you will understand why some people want, and demand speakers capable of full range performance.

Lord_Magnepan
10-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Yes i agree to that. The Thiels can be very very good, but they need a perfect match of room and electronics.

Cheers