TV Audio through HTS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV Audio through HTS

lookapypy
10-15-2004, 12:31 PM
This may be a stupid question. I have recently started putting together a HTS. I have a Yamaha 5650 receiver, and a regular cable ready tv. Is there a way to get the audio from the TV to run through my HTS? I believe I have the cables hooked up correctly, but I can't seem to be able to get the TV audio to come through the receiver.

tpcounty
10-15-2004, 12:41 PM
This may be a stupid question. I have recently started putting together a HTS. I have a Yamaha 5650 receiver, and a regular cable ready tv. Is there a way to get the audio from the TV to run through my HTS? I believe I have the cables hooked up correctly, but I can't seem to be able to get the TV audio to come through the receiver.

If you plugged the audio out from the TV into the receiver, make sure you switch the input selector on the receiver to the correct one.

markw
10-15-2004, 02:12 PM
If you plugged the audio out from the TV into the receiver, make sure you switch the input selector on the receiver to the correct one.

You may also need to get cozy with your TV's menu system. Sometimes you have to activate these outputs and mute the internal speakers.

On my proscan, I have to turn the internal speakers off and have the outputs turned on to avail myself of this feature.

One other oprtion I have is that I can have these outputs fed the signal at a constant level, whereby all volume changes are done thru the receiver or have them variable, so I can set the receiver's volume once and henceforth control the volume via the TV's remote.

tpcounty
10-15-2004, 02:40 PM
You may also need to get cozy with your TV's menu system. Sometimes you have to activate these outputs and mute the internal speakers.

On my proscan, I have to turn the internal speakers off and have the outputs turned on to avail myself of this feature.

One other oprtion I have is that I can have these outputs fed the signal at a constant level, whereby all volume changes are done thru the receiver or have them variable, so I can set the receiver's volume once and henceforth control the volume via the TV's remote.

Didn't think about that. Thanks.

Mr Peabody
10-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Why use your TV for anything else other than a monitor? TV preamps are typically horrible and provides an inferior sound source. If you have a cable box or satelite receiver, I first recommend using the digital output directly to your receiver, if not available then use the analog output. Even if all I had was cable out of the wall I would use my VCR output before the TV. You may get better video using the TV as a video switcher but you want to use your receiver to control your audio. All audio should go to your receiver directly BYPASSING the TV.