Modern Op-Amps in 8 pin SIP? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Modern Op-Amps in 8 pin SIP?

turbodog
12-11-2003, 08:56 AM
I was looking to upgrade the op amps in my Carver CM-1090. It has op amps that were probably 'middle grade' in 1990, with slew rates of 4 to 6 V/uS and input equivalent viltages of .44uV and 1.2 uV(VNI) (NJM 2068 and 4565).

The problem is, these are all in 8-pin SIP packages, and none of the top-shelf op -amps I've surveyed come in this package.

Is anyone aware of a source for high bandwidth, low noise op amps in SIPs (looking for specs like AD826 or OPA2134)? How about a 'converter PCB', where I can solder a SOIC8 package on and it will solder in to the SIP holes in the amp PCB?

All inputs welcome.

PS, just ran across this forum, this is my 1st post. Be gentle.....

F1
12-12-2003, 06:41 AM
Recently I replaced RC5534 and LF353 in my amplifier with OPA604 and OPA2604. It works well and sounds better to me. This op amp has higher slew rate and bandwidth but also higher distortion&noise compared to OPA2134. Here's the specs:
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/opa2134.html
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/opa2604.html

Can't help you with the pin connection thing, not familiar with it.
Good luck.

turbodog
12-15-2003, 06:32 AM
Thanks... I looked at TI offerings, but they don't come in the package I need. I solved the problem (for now) by bypassing the Carver pre-amp. I'm just using the power amp section for now, in a bi-amp setup. I'm using the preamp section of my HK3475 (which also could use some op amp tweaking, but I'll wait till the warranty expires... and it uses the easy-to-find packages).

F1
12-15-2003, 07:40 AM
Actually I wanted to replace op-amps in my receiver after hearing some improvement in the other amplifier, but it seems to me that the PCB layout is too complicated to dismantle. Oh well....

turbodog
12-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Bummer. But, best not to take it apart unless you're sure you can put it back together!
I haven't even cracked the cover on my HK... hope I don't run into the same problem.