Hey...it's time for Friday Song of the Day! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey...it's time for Friday Song of the Day!

Davey
10-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Show me yours and I'll show you mine. Well, maybe not in public, and I'll probably deny any knowledge of the incident later.....

Hehehe, reminds me of the story about George Michael and the Beverly Hills cop and the restroom in the park :)

OK, my song of the day is one I can't get out of my head since talking about it some with Mark the last day or so. TV On The Radio and "Dreams". Third song on the CD (or second one in on the LP according to the Ex Lion Tamer). Great song on a pretty strong and unique sounding album. Starts out simply with some syncopated drums under the opening chorus, but then swirling guitars and keyboards take over the background...and the drumming gets more insistent and complex...and then two-part vocals take the lead bringing out a very compelling counterpoint harmony and lyrics that define the direction for most of the song. For example, the chorus becomes one voice singing...
<i>But your heart can't grieve / for your little dreams...</i>

while the other answers...
<i>but all your dreams are over now / and all your wings have fallen down...</i>

And then towards the finale it dissolves into a flurry of grief-stricken words delivered over a swirling background of guitars and driving percussion...

<i>oh warfarin' terrapin / unconfined undesigned / undersigned bantering / bartering bellowing / barracking blundering / pillaging plundering / living and lavishing / hammerings harrowing / flourishing flattening / leveling reveling / wrecking and ravaging / savoring savaging....you've got me / worried and wondering / worried and wondering / worried and wondering / worried and wondering....</i>

Pretty cool. One of those songs I might listen to over and over on some lazy Friday afternoon. Lots of places on the web you can listen to it or download the mp3 like at http://www.toolshed-media.com/tvotr-tour-enews/dreams.mp3. The CD comes with a psychedelic video for the song too. Here's a little band shot from it below.

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/tvontheradio.jpg

nobody
10-15-2004, 10:58 AM
I've been listening to some Lou Reed solo stuff from the 70s lately that I hadn't pulled out in a while, and digging it a bunch. Was gonna make a little comp, but I can't find My Street Hassle album, so the project is on hold until I do.

Anyway, taking my recent listening into consideration, I'm gonna grab my favorite song off his 76 release Coney Island Baby...

<b>Kicks</b>

Troy
10-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Black Maria

Todd Rundgren's "Something/Anything" album.

Es muy bueno.

MindGoneHaywire
10-15-2004, 11:57 AM
My song of the day is from my friend C*ck Lorge. Yes, he actually is a friend of mine & he just sent me this link. He's got a release up on CDBaby...

This is NOT for ForeverAutumn or any other females (a mild warning). Or anybody, for that matter, unless you have no fear of, um, a very dirty sense of humor. Most people will probably find this unfunny & juvenile. I expect this. You may remember a couple of years ago I wrote a piece about a friend that passed away who had a band & wrote very tuneful songs about hookers & diarrhea. C*ck Lorge is, well, kind of carrying on that tradition in his own inimitable fashion. This song is called "I Want You." Anyone who takes offense, don't say I didn't warn you...but just so you know, there's no nudity or anything like that in this link, it's a cartoon, suggestive, but only suggestive. You might not want to have the volume up too high if there are any kids around, or if you're at work, or whatever.

Troy, I do want to know what you think of this...

http://mediapickle.com/new/clients.php?id=568&gen=no

Stone
10-15-2004, 12:24 PM
I've been listening to some hip hop lately. Last night I listened to It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back. I generally tend to prefer the indie rock stylings, but damn this is one great album. Intense from the opening right through to the end, but very good and interesting rhymes. My pick of songs is "Night of the Living Baseheads."

Here it is
BAM
And you say, goddamn
This is the dope jam
But let's define the term called dope
And you think it mean funky now, no
Here is a true tale
Of the ones that deal
Are the ones that fail
Yeah
You can move if you wanna move
What it prove
It's here like the groove
The problem is this - we gotta fix it
Check out the justice - and how they run it
Sellin', smellin'
Sniffin', riffin'
And brothers try to get swift an'
Sell to their own, rob a home
While some shrivel to bone
Like comatose walkin' around
Please don't confuse this with the sound
I'm talking about...BASS

Mr MidFi
10-15-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm going to throw out David Bowie's "Slowburn," from his kinda-sorta recent Heathen disc. I'm not really a late-era Bowie guy at all, but my next-door neighbor burned me a copy of Heathen and, well, it's not bad. Slowburn is a nice, mid-tempo pop/rocker and a showcase for Bowie's distinctive vocal stylings as well as some fat guitar hooks. The lyrics assert themselves darkly over the sleek pop craftsmanship:

Here shall we live in this terrible town
Where the price for our eyes shall squeeze them tight like a fist
And the walls shall have eyes
And the doors shall have ears
But we'll dance in the dark
And they'll play with our lives

Like a slow burn
Leading us on and on and on
Like a slow burn
Turning us round and round and round

But who are we
So small in times such as these
Slow Burn
Slow Burn

Oh, these are the days
These are the strangest of all
These are the nights
These are the darkest to fall

But who knows?
Echoes in tenement halls
Who knows?
Though the years snare them all

It's not really stunning, compared to most of his classic 70s output...but if it came from a new band on an indie label, you'd be proclaiming your love.

tentoze
10-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Mine is still Please Stay (Once You Go Away) from Twilight Singers' She Loves You. Why? Because it really does kick @$$.

Troy
10-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Troy, I do want to know what you think of this...

http://mediapickle.com/new/clients.php?id=568&gen=no

Very elegant.

Yeah, it's funny (especially the way it makes fun of the audience grooving on it so much with the lighters and all), but it goes on way too long.

ForeverAutumn
10-15-2004, 02:38 PM
This is NOT for ForeverAutumn or any other females (a mild warning). Or anybody, for that matter, unless you have no fear of, um, a very dirty sense of humor.

So...what? Now I have no sense of humour? I can get down and dirty with the best of them my friend. I just choose not to do so on a public forum. :cool:

But...you do have me wondering why you're so interested in Troy's opinion? Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

P.S. I agree with Troy. Even though size does matter. It was a little long. :p

ForeverAutumn
10-15-2004, 02:41 PM
ARE WE WE ARE....ARE WE WE ARE...THE WAAAAAAAAITING.

Don't say I didn't warn you! :D

Ex Lion Tamer
10-15-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm gonna grab my favorite song off his 76 release Coney Island Baby...

<b>Kicks</b>

<b>Kicks</b> kicks some serious butt!! What a great song - maybe my favorite Lou solo song. So which one from Street Hassle makes your comp? I'd go for the awesome title song myself, but maybe it's too long..., then I guess it's gotta be I Wanna Be Black.

Oh yeah, my song of the day...

Campaign of Hate, from The Libertines new album.

nobody
10-15-2004, 05:24 PM
I think Kicks is one of his great udnerappreciated songs. I never see it putn on any of his many hits collections, even though it's one of my favorites.

Yeah, I'll grad the title track from Street Hassle, an amazing song. May also have to toss Dirt on there. Depends how much room I have, considering I know in addition to Street Hassle, I'll probably have to toss on The Bells, another time hog.

Still haven't found my record though. My seaching for stuff ability is pretty slim so it could take a while. Once I find it, I'll throw something together and offer it up here. I think his 70s catalog gets short changed beyond everyone loving Transformer. He put out a lot of good stuff in that decade. I even really enjoy his stuff on albums like Growing Up in Public. Sure, not every song a classic on many of those releases, but lots of diamonds in that rough.

Dusty Chalk
10-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Facade of Reality, Epica -- Epica is a metallish B&B (no, not Bed & Breakfast -- Beauty & Beast, I.E. alternating clean female and growled male vocals) band, very powerful and "arena rock" which hair-farmer guitars, choir, operatic vocals, machine-gun drum&bass rhythm section, and sweeping pseudo-orchestral keys. Facade of Reality references 9/11 as the ugly event that it was. Dedicated to KRS-Zero. Heh-heh.