Pictures of my system. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my system.

Lord_Magnepan
10-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Hello all :-)
So here are some pictures of my equipment. The camera i used is not great, but it works. I have my experience in small Home Theaters as i have owned quite a large variety of "payable" HT systems in the past. I am a fan of Maggies (already known), and everything about them. I also enjoy other speakers(yes even boxes) too. I am a fan of Maggies, and everything about them.And Maggies are really cool in a HT too :p
Everyone chooses what they like best.

So i am done ;-)

PS: I am 21, so please dont nag on the room too much. I still live in my parents house.

Here are some pictures of my setup. (looks nice in real life)

http://www.maggiefanclub.de/pics/mg36/1.jpg
http://www.maggiefanclub.de/pics/mg36/2.jpg
http://www.maggiefanclub.de/pics/mg36/3.jpg
http://www.maggiefanclub.de/pics/mg36/4.jpg
http://www.maggiefanclub.de/pics/room.JPG

Jimmy C
10-14-2004, 04:09 PM
.... and don't worry about living with the 'rents...a GREAT chance to save some $$$!

Probably a great sounding rig, curious about the low-horsepower Itialian integrated powering the Mags...

Enjoy the sound, I have to finish my meatloaf...

Lord_Magnepan
10-15-2004, 02:07 AM
The Pathos may have a low power rating, but it blows many 150 watt per channel AMPS out of the water with ease. We tried a Denon AVC1 on them and he just got warm and shut down, so did the Onkyo 939, the NAD 216 and the Bell Audiolabs :p

Rating doesnt say it all.

Thanks for looking

chimera128
10-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Do you own a VW Bug?.... Lots of flowers =).

RGA
10-16-2004, 07:35 AM
That's a nice looking an amp - Tell us more about it.

Also you ae 10 feet away from the speakers the speakers are 6 feet from the wall - and you say the room is 16 feet long - but it looks like you are several feet from the back wall? curious - perhaps your room is 20-22 feet?

Lord_Magnepan
10-16-2004, 08:36 AM
The drawing is wrong ;-)

I sit about 50cm to the Backwall. The Pathos AMP is very special indeed.

http://www.pathosacoustics.com/CO1.jpg
http://www.pathosacoustics.com/CO3.jpg

Main specifications:
Output power: 2 x 70W RMS @ 8 Ohm 2x130 @ 4 Ohm, 270W in mono
Frequency response: 2Hz-100KHz ±0,5dB
THD: <0.05%
S/N ratio: >90dB
Ingressi: 5 line-inputs, one balanced (XLR)
Input impedance:100 KOhm

He has a Tube Prestage, and a Solid state in the power section. Just an incredible AMP.

cheers

Geoffcin
10-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Hello all :-)
So here are some pictures of my equipment. The camera i used is not great, but it works. I have my experience in small Home Theaters as i have owned quite a large variety of "payable" HT systems in the past. I am a fan of Maggies (already known), and everything about them. I also enjoy other speakers(yes even boxes) too. I am a fan of Maggies, and everything about them.And Maggies are really cool in a HT too :p
Everyone chooses what they like best.

So i am done ;-)

You should move the maggies further away from the side walls. 1ft is not enough clearance to escape side wall interaction. If you move them together 2ft, then you can try the tweeters outboard also, that's the designed orientation. You appear to have nearly 30 degrees of angle in on your speakers. While this will make for a very focused image, the size of the soundstage will suffer, it's probably why you've pushed the speakers so wide. Try reducing this angle to 10-15 degree and the soundstage should widen considerably. Also, you appear to have wall treatments on the front wall. If these are dispersive then that's good, but if they are absorbtive then they are on the wrong wall. All absorbtive treatments should be to the side, or behind your seating position.

Lord_Magnepan
10-16-2004, 11:21 AM
I already tried it with the ribbons on the outside and never liked the large unfocused stage. But i will try it again, with 1ft from the side walls and write back.

Thanks for the tips

Lord_Magnepan
10-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Well ok i tried what you suggested. I also tried the Cardas method and i think i found the differences..

Most Americans like a "big sound" with "big bass", thus positioning the ribbon or qr on the outside will give you that. All of my european Maggie friends have the on the inside. The image is more precise with the ribbon on the inside but the soundstage is not as large. Magnepan (in the new manual) suggest that the ribbon inside or outside are taste and room dependand and not a must.

I tried them with the ribbon on the outside, and know what you like about that. But thats not the way i like it ;) I like the deep and precise location sound, which is a bit smaller than the US way.

Cheers

Jimmy C
10-16-2004, 11:53 AM
The Pathos may have a low power rating, but it blows many 150 watt per channel AMPS out of the water with ease. We tried a Denon AVC1 on them and he just got warm and shut down, so did the Onkyo 939, the NAD 216 and the Bell Audiolabs :p

Rating doesnt say it all.

Thanks for looking

...elaborate and elucidate. I didn't mean to infer that a lower power unit can't have the balls of a "higher rated" unit, it's just that most complain of the Maggie's needing big power supplies/current demands to begin with. I can testify to the misleading to some degree... my Denon receiver doesn't sound BAD, but it can't deliver the dynamic slam the Rotel stuff does.

Also - many k'vetch about the bass, I didn't think that was a huge problem in my last Magneplanar demo, but many feel the bass and dynamics are a bit wanting.

Hopefully, I "unconfused" myself!

Lord_Magnepan
10-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Thats fine.

Well many people say that you need high powered AMPs to make the Maggies shine. Well i dont fully agree to that. Yes you do need power for them, but you need power with finesse. They need some Magic fit, which is what the pathos is. They dont lack slam, or dynamics at all. Its very electronic and room dependant.

example: Many Americans love the sound with the ribbon on the outside. To me, that sounds big and boring. I like it in the inside, which has a bit smaller stage but much more live.

Maggies dont sound good at all on Japaneese electronics, we tried a Denon AVC-1, the Onkyo 989 and the Marantz SR12. The Only AMP that worked on them was the litte Cambridge Audio Azur 540R. We dont know what it is exactly, but it just works.

Maggies can have a lot of bass (down to 25Hz if Actively driven a 3.6). You must have a AMP with that certain sparkle like Unison Research, Pathos or Audio Refinment.

Its all a match for components and room. A lot of personal taste too.

Does it answere your question somewhat?

Geoffcin
10-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Well ok i tried what you suggested. I also tried the Cardas method and i think i found the differences..

Most Americans like a "big sound" with "big bass", thus positioning the ribbon or qr on the outside will give you that. All of my european Maggie friends have the on the inside. The image is more precise with the ribbon on the inside but the soundstage is not as large. Magnepan (in the new manual) suggest that the ribbon inside or outside are taste and room dependand and not a must.

I tried them with the ribbon on the outside, and know what you like about that. But thats not the way i like it ;) I like the deep and precise location sound, which is a bit smaller than the US way.

Cheers

I don't know if inside is more precise, but it does seem to focus the central image. I reccomend inboard tweeter placment if your room is smaller than 16' wide, as the tweeter is what you want to avoid having interactions with the side walls. As to European vs. USA maggie preferances; I'm not sold that we're two different animals, as we've both prefer the same speaker.

Lord_Magnepan
10-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Well dont see it too hard. I didnt mean that in a offensive way. But actually almost all europeans prefer the ribbon inside, and are happy with the bass. And most Americans like the bigger, larger soundstage and need bass bass bass. Not all of course, but the majority tends to be that way.

PS: A Maggie is a Maggie,, no matter where the ribbon is. We are just talking about a "bit" of a difference.

Geoffcin
10-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Well dont see it too hard. I didnt mean that in a offensive way. But actually almost all europeans prefer the ribbon inside, and are happy with the bass. And most Americans like the bigger, larger soundstage and need bass bass bass. Not all of course, but the majority tends to be that way.

PS: A Maggie is a Maggie,, no matter where the ribbon is. We are just talking about a "bit" of a difference.

With my audio room being almost exacty twice the size of yours, it's hard to duplicate the same conditions you have. Most of the maggie owners that I know here also have them in larger rooms, with my 16' x 22' room being about average. I would say that is one of the reasons why I suppliment the bottom octave with my subs. The 3.6 is one of the worlds best speakers, but it does have a limit to it's bass, both in extention, and available SPL. I don't overdo the bass reinforcment, but I'm unwilling to give up full bass extention in my system.

RGA
10-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Lord magnepan

Question - nice looking and seemingly well built amp by the way - like to hear them sometime. Anywho - how did you post such large pictures? I have a few pictures needing developed and could post em here but I tried before but when I scanned them to my computer they come out the size of the screen instead of a normal size. useless lexmark scanning printer - NEVER buy a lexmark freaking ink sucking bloody slow as a moles asses machines.

Lord_Magnepan
10-16-2004, 02:02 PM
You could go active with them and put them down to about 25Hz. And then add a sub (2) for the bottom ones. :p

Lord_Magnepan
10-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Lord magnepan

Question - nice looking and seemingly well built amp by the way - like to hear them sometime. Anywho - how did you post such large pictures? I have a few pictures needing developed and could post em here but I tried before but when I scanned them to my computer they come out the size of the screen instead of a normal size. useless lexmark scanning printer - NEVER buy a lexmark freaking ink sucking bloody slow as a moles asses machines.

Well i shrink or enlarge the pictures using PhotoImpact or the MS tool. then i upload them to my Magnepan Fan Site and link them here. If you need pictures to be posted, just sent them to me and i can upload them for you :p on my site.

cheers

Jimmy C
10-16-2004, 02:24 PM
With my audio room being almost exacty twice the size of yours, it's hard to duplicate the same conditions you have. Most of the maggie owners that I know here also have them in larger rooms, with my 16' x 22' room being about average. I would say that is one of the reasons why I suppliment the bottom octave with my subs. The 3.6 is one of the worlds best speakers, but it does have a limit to it's bass, both in extention, and available SPL. I don't overdo the bass reinforcment, but I'm unwilling to give up full bass extention in my system.

...I just noticed you were in N.Y. ... on the Island, by any chance? I wouldn't mind getting together with others in the "hobby" to hear other systems... I must admit, I'm curious :*) I have met "Emil" (from AA) with a Naim/de Capo rig, now a Naim/Neat system.

I'm in Commack... if local, give me a shout!