Speaker placement "hole in the middle" effect [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement "hole in the middle" effect

michelescov
12-10-2003, 11:15 PM
Hi:

I need some help on speaker placement, How much distance between speakers is better. Do 5 meters or more create a hole in the middle in the image? Or what is the max that you can separate speakers withouth having this effect?

Thanks

Jimmy C
12-11-2003, 04:35 AM
...to find the best distance apart from each other. I would say 15 meters is too far... about 10' (around there) is usually the limit for most speakers - after that, the center image will start to fall apart.You will probably want to strike a balance between the widest soundstage possible and the least sidewall reflections.

Also, try to keep each speaker in an acoustically similar place... not always easy, I know.

Good luck...

spacedeckman
12-11-2003, 06:29 AM
Try to place yourself back from your speakers 1.3 times the distance between them. In most rooms, getting further apart than 3-4 meters isn't going to work.

bturk667
12-11-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi:

I need some help on speaker placement, How much distance between speakers is better. Do 5 meters or more create a hole in the middle in the image? Or what is the max that you can separate speakers withouth having this effect?

Thanks

Trial and error, it's the only way.

spacedeckman
12-11-2003, 09:17 AM
from them.

michelescov
12-11-2003, 09:18 AM
So, if I place the speakers with a space of 8 meters i wonīt have that problem of loosing the image. And what about the distance from the listener to the soeakers.

Thank you.

RGA
12-11-2003, 12:03 PM
So, if I place the speakers with a space of 8 meters i wonīt have that problem of loosing the image. And what about the distance from the listener to the soeakers.

Thank you.

The best way to do this is first start in an equalateral triangle. If the speakers are 8 feet apart from each other you want to be 8 feet back. Some speakers require toe in some don't and some like mine can operate with a hefty toe in and without...but then you get a different sound too.

The perfect sitting position may in fact NOT be an equaliteral triangle but it's usually the best starting point and you make adjustments accordingly. Many speakers that require a toe in like tohave the tweeters cross before they reach the listener (1-2 feet in front) to help the center stage...but then you lose in other areas possibly.

michelescov
12-11-2003, 05:06 PM
The perfect sitting position may in fact NOT be an equaliteral triangle but it's usually the best starting point and you make adjustments accordingly. Many speakers that require a toe in like tohave the tweeters cross before they reach the listener (1-2 feet in front) to help the center stage...but then you lose in other areas possibly.[/QUOTE]

And what is the limit before star loosing in other areas, I guess that if I separate the speakers about 7 meters or 21 feet the hole in the middle will appear, or maybe it will affect in some other areas, but I donīt know.

What do you think?

Thanks