What DVD recorder would you choose? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What DVD recorder would you choose?

stereonewbie
10-13-2004, 11:17 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001WV6W8/qid=1097564549/sr=8-1/ref=__1/103-5642428-8659858?v=glance&s=electronics

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002GTVHA/qid=1097191771/sr=1-148/ref=sr_1_148/103-5642428-8659858?v=glance&s=electronics

Panasonic w/VCR

or

Phillips

hershon
10-13-2004, 11:30 PM
Here is a quick lession that I picked up on this forum, if I am wrong on anything I'm saying,
please someone correct:

1. If you are planning to copy commercial DVD's, you can not copy them on these stand alone recorders because it is hurting people like Brad Pitt's $15 million salary. Just kidding! But seriously, the only way to copy commercial DVD's (almost all of which are encrypted) is through a DVD burner either built in your computer or an external recorder which you can attach by USB and a free software program called DVD Shrink (there are several others as well). A program like DVD shrink decrypts the DVD. These type programs are not commercially sold no matter how "DVD recorder software misleads you to think you can do this with their stuff-you can't in reality". Again its easy to use and free on the internet. Therefore if you are planning to copy a commercial DVD do not buy a stand alone DVD burner but one that you can either attach internally or externally to your computer. You can believe it or not get an excellent new sealed DVD recorder for your computer, internal or external from between $80-$140 on Ebay (Buy it now feature as well).

2. Secondly, DVD standalone recorders do not record in 5.1 surround sound but DVD internal or external recorders for your computer, does.

stereonewbie
10-14-2004, 02:33 AM
But can I record programs off of tv from my PC with it?

sy_lu
10-14-2004, 05:10 PM

Yes, if you get a TV tuner card or external TV USB box. You can also get a cheaper video capture card/box but you need to feed your TV video out to it and loose the ability to do timer porgram recording.

kpzbee
10-15-2004, 03:06 AM

Yes you can record off of a TV just like a VCR. I bought a Pioneer DVR 520H (80gb hd)about a month ago. I love it. I wanted to replace my VCR with it. Way better IMO, to watch a recorded TV show on my 57" screen.
As for making a backup of your DVD collection, yes it can be done with an Video Stabilizer. I'm not sure that it will copy the 5.1 soundtrack. I haven't got that far into it yet. There is a lot of info at this site AVS forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=106&x=12&y=8) I'd suggest doing some reading up before you buy. As I said, I love mine for what I use it for.

hershon
10-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Hi, I'm renting for $10 a month an HD DVR from Time Warner Cable that works great and doesn't require a phone line. In regards to your DVR, do you have to still pay the cable people for this (unless you have Direct TV) and will it still work with your cable box even if you're not paying the cable people for it? How much did yours cost? Thanks

Yes you can record off of a TV just like a VCR. I bought a Pioneer DVR 520H (80gb hd)about a month ago. I love it. I wanted to replace my VCR with it. Way better IMO, to watch a recorded TV show on my 57" screen.
As for making a backup of your DVD collection, yes it can be done with an Video Stabilizer. I'm not sure that it will copy the 5.1 soundtrack. I haven't got that far into it yet. There is a lot of info at this site AVS forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=106&x=12&y=8) I'd suggest doing some reading up before you buy. As I said, I love mine for what I use it for.

kpzbee
10-15-2004, 11:53 AM
No, I don't pay anything since it has no Tivo. I didn't want to pay any subscription with one. I don't have a cable box but it will work with it if I do get one. I found it on sale for $449. You can get cheaper ones without the hard drive. I didn't want to have to record to a media (like a VCR) just to record a TV program. I just record to the HDD, watch it later & hit the delete button afterwards. It's just that simple! Basicly, I bought it replace my VCR but it will do a lot of other stuff.

If your interested, you can to to Pioneer's website & look it up. If you register, you can d/l the owners manual for it & read it. This way you'll have a perfect feel for what it will do.

hershon
10-15-2004, 05:05 PM
I use my DVR to record anything that shows up on my digital onscreen listing of channels 1-1000 or whatever and I can record up to 2 channels at once or can record one channel while watching another. The HD broadcasts are recorded in perfect HD. Explain to me if you don't mind, again, how your DVR is working without paying the cable people anything.
Specifically can you record 2 non basic cable channels at once, record a non basic cable show while watching another show, etc?

No, I don't pay anything since it has no Tivo. I didn't want to pay any subscription with one. I don't have a cable box but it will work with it if I do get one. I found it on sale for $449. You can get cheaper ones without the hard drive. I didn't want to have to record to a media (like a VCR) just to record a TV program. I just record to the HDD, watch it later & hit the delete button afterwards. It's just that simple! Basicly, I bought it replace my VCR but it will do a lot of other stuff.

If your interested, you can to to Pioneer's website & look it up. If you register, you can d/l the owners manual for it & read it. This way you'll have a perfect feel for what it will do.

kpzbee
10-16-2004, 10:36 AM
I can only record one program at a time with mine. Mine is considered a DVD recorder. I can record a program & burn it to a DVD if I wanted to. If I'm recording a TV program & come in late, I can watch it while it's still recording. It's called chase play. I'm not sure it can record in HD since I don't have it. (basic cable only) There is no subscription with this unit since it has no Tivo in it.
I hope that explanation helps.

stereonewbie
10-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Hershon, where can I get one? I live in Wa. state. Its only $10 a month? Do you have to subcribe to anything?

hershon
10-16-2004, 08:10 PM
I owe this to Eisforelectronic in Hawai First off i get my HD digital cable service from Time Warner in Los Angeles but even if you don't have Time Warner, you might want to ask your cable company about this. Apparently Time Warner is now renting out HD DVR's but they're not publically telling anyone this or putting it on their website until some time in the near future but you can get one if you call them and ask- this makes no sense to me whatsoever but hey what do i care? Anyway, they're only charging $10 a month for this DVR which records in HD, records up to 40 hours, you can record 2 channels at a time or record one channel when watching another & you don't need a phone line like Tivo. it's easy as hell to use and the picture and sound have been perfect. It doesn't have all of Tivo's features, I don't think you can bypass recording commercials or program it to look for a particular actor/actress but to me its great. I'm very satisfied with the HD DVR. The only thing unfortunately it can't do yet, is let you externally record your digital program to a DVD or VCR. Time Warner says it will in the future send a computer signal out to activate the DVR to do this. Again, the logic of this I don't understand. What I recommend you doing is calling Time Warner if that's your cable carrier or your own cable carrier and ask them if an HD DVR is available and if so telling them you want it now. Again, why they
aren't publicizi8ng this I don't understand. Time Warner also started an even faster Roadrunner service for $30 more a month to double your broadband width but they didn't publicize that either. Good luck.

Hershon, where can I get one? I live in Wa. state. Its only $10 a month? Do you have to subcribe to anything?