Subwoofer setup Q's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer setup Q's

Lord Nikon
10-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Got my new Velodyne 10" Subwoofer today...

I am running a single Line-level input to LFE....

Could someone explain the difference between Line-level inputs and Speaker-level inputs? Why would you use on over the other. There is R and LFE do I hook both up... info please! :)

Garrardman
10-14-2004, 12:29 AM
The speaker level inputs accept an input that is at speaker output level from an amplifier(e.g. from the speakers B output of your amp if it has them). This is to cater for people who perhaps only have a stereo setup but wish to add a subwoofer. A preamp output would be required to drive the line level inputs, but not all stereo integrated amplifiers have this.
Internally, there is nothing extra special done with the speaker level signal - it is merely attenuated to a similar level to the line input and then sent to the subwoofer's preamplifier and filtering stage at exactly the same point as the line inputs.

You only need to run one signal cable to your subwoofer. Even if there are L and R inputs, they are summed together in the amplifier as the sub has only one amp and one driver (multiple driver subs just have them connected together either in series or parallel).

Hope this helps a bit!

Adam.

Lord_Magnepan
10-14-2004, 05:45 AM
Yup, definetly a very good explination :) If you use it in a HT enviroment, you would wanna choose the dedicated LFE input on the Velodyne and set the x-over to external in order to use the x-over from the processor/receiver.

Have fun

Lord Nikon
10-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Since I already have my receiver sending anything 80hz and lower to the sub do I need to set the xover on the sub to also 80hz (which is what I've done)? Or do I turn it all the way down or all the way up?

Since the receiver is already sending the signal to the sub, I didn't know if the sub xover had any function now.

Woochifer
10-14-2004, 11:08 AM
Since I already have my receiver sending anything 80hz and lower to the sub do I need to set the xover on the sub to also 80hz (which is what I've done)? Or do I turn it all the way down or all the way up?

Since the receiver is already sending the signal to the sub, I didn't know if the sub xover had any function now.

If the receiver's handling the bass management, you bypass the crossover on the subwoofer if the unit gives you that option, or you turn the crossover setting on the sub all the way up. With the receiver doing the crossover function, the sub should not have any role in that.