Peter Gabriel backed by Slowdive for an experimental doo-wop album [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gabriel backed by Slowdive for an experimental doo-wop album

Davey
10-13-2004, 03:59 PM
That's the line amazon.com pulls out of a short and sweet Vice magazine article about the band TV on the Radio and their previous EP to substitute, along with a few other magazine excerpts, for their own missing review of the <i> Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes</i> LP. I kind of like that line, though :)

I've got kind of a hazy and ambiguous love/hate relationship with this album, although I don't really hate anything on it. Sometimes it just seems to miss the mark. But boy, it does hit some pretty high marks on occasion so it's not something I can dismiss. And the more I listen, the higher those hits go. The whole 4-song beginning segment is very strong, and the single "Staring at the Sun" sounds almost like a classic with the skittering rhythms and background drone and some of the best vocal interplay on the album. And then "Dreams" comes along and I'm totally sold. It seems to be the musical realization of those lines of neon lightning across the cover art, with the incessant beats and the center stage vocals bringing to life lines like, "<i>All your dreams are over now / All your wings have fallen down</i>". Really nice direction. And the next song continues the journey, but then it gets downright doo wop annoying on "Ambulance" and I tend to turn off after that. What a mood breaker. But when I'm feeling more charitable and just hit skip, I'm rewarded with a strong but uneven second half that even veers into Trail of Dead territory, albeit with more soulful vocals. Still hard to say how much I like this one, but I do like it way more that the first couple listens. I'd say they have great potential....and some of that potential has already been fully realized. The guy at http://www.fastnbulbous.com/tvontheradio_desperate.htm has it right now as his best of the year but that's way past what I would rate it. Definitely worth checking out, though, and I'm glad I did. Nice listen with some stellar moments. I know a few others have heard this around here, so what do you think?

http://www.viceland.com/issues_uk/v10n7/htdocs/hip/1.jpg

Ex Lion Tamer
10-14-2004, 08:38 AM
I know a few others have heard this around here, so what do you think?

This was a struggle for me at first as well, but I've grown to enjoy it for the most part, with gusts up to really really like it. I agree with you on the high points and low points and the uneven nature of the album in general, but I (strongly?) disagree on "Ambulance" which is one of my favorites on the album.

Your post did confuse me in the way you described the first 4 song sequence, so I went to allmusic.com and confirmed the suspicion your description raised...the vinyl is sequenced differently from the CD. "Staring at the Sun" doesn't make it's vinyl appearance until side 3 (of 3); the ninth song. Plus, instead of the "multimedia track" of "Dreams" that closes the CD, vinyl listeners get a bonus song; "You Could be Love", which has a great soulful vocal over a minimalist bass and drum accompaniement, with occasional keyboard accenting, three piano chords provide a minimalist melody mid way through. The song snails along at a dirge-like pace, and ends with some weird vocal silliness; not something I'd normally like, but for whatever reason, and notwithstanding that goofy ending, I do like this. I like the vinyl sequence, as it makes me look forward to what I think, along with Dreams, is the hilight of the album, but now I'm thinking I'll make a CD-R copy sequenced as the CD is and see which is better....

I agree that the second half of the album is uneven, but it has enough high points, ie "Wear You Out" to keep me interested enough so that I just don't skip over side 2. I also disagree with most everyone else on "The Wrong Way" which is one of my least favorite songs on the album.

At first I was disappointed that I'd bought this album, but for me at least perserverance has paid off.

Davey
10-14-2004, 10:00 AM
"Staring at the Sun" doesn't make it's vinyl appearance until side 3 (of 3); the ninth song.
Hmmm, that would change it quite a bit for me because I really like that skronky ending on the opener flowing into the Beach Boys beginning on "Staring At The Sun", and then "Dreams" seems to follow that perfectly, especially when it amps up into Joy Division territory after the opening chorus. Wow, that's some good s</>hit. One of the best songs of the year for me.

Hey, I've been listening to an album by The Flaming Stars called Sunset & Void and it's some really good stuff, kind of a mixture of Nick Cave and VU and The Mekons and Tindersticks and stuff like that. If you do downloads, go <a href="http://www.alternativetentacles.com/bandinfo.php?band=flamingstars">here</a> and listen to the first two songs from the album, "A Little Bit Like You" and Cash 22", for a good taste (and let me know what you think). They've got a new one coming out soon that's supposed to be very good too.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006G9ZZ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Ex Lion Tamer
10-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Hmmm, that would change it quite a bit for me because I really like that skronky ending on the opener flowing into the Beach Boys beginning on "Staring At The Sun", and then "Dreams" seems to follow that perfectly, especially when it amps up into Joy Division territory after the opening chorus. Wow, that's some good s</>hit. One of the best songs of the year for me.

I hear you on that. I'm anxious to record it in the sequence you're used to and see if it changes my impressions of the album over all.

Hey, I've been listening to an album by The Flaming Stars called Sunset & Void and it's some really good stuff, kind of a mixture of Nick Cave and VU and The Mekons and Tindersticks and stuff like that. If you do downloads, go <a href="http://www.alternativetentacles.com/bandinfo.php?band=flamingstars">here</a> and listen to the first two songs from the album, "A Little Bit Like You" and Cash 22", for a good taste (and let me know what you think). They've got a new one coming out soon that's supposed to be very good too.

Wow!!! Way excellent stuff. A sound that I can really warm to...very Velvets in feel, especially on A Little Bit Like You, but Cash 22 is excellent too. They are definitely going on "the list"

Thanks Davey.

N.P. Cards/Astros; Cards just hit back to back jacks to take a 6-4 lead.