following instructions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : following instructions

tpcounty
10-13-2004, 01:39 PM
I know that instruction manuals for AV equipment say that the units should be unplugged before connecting any cables or interconnects.

What is the possible consequences of swapping cables and stuff without powering off or unplugging equipment? What is the real chance of any problems?

Has anyone blown anything up by swapping cables while stuff in on?

E-Stat
10-13-2004, 01:56 PM
I know that instruction manuals for AV equipment say that the units should be unplugged before connecting any cables or interconnects.

What is the possible consequences of swapping cables and stuff without powering off or unplugging equipment? What is the real chance of any problems?

Has anyone blown anything up by swapping cables while stuff in on?
The danger is you could blow a fuse, take out an output device, or blow a speaker driver. Changing cables can create a sudden pop or subsonic thump that will ripple through the system and potentially wreak havoc downstream.

As for the chance, it depends upon the equipment used and the stage at which the cables are switched. I would never switch an interconnect from pre to power amp or attenuator to power amp because the gain of the latter cannot be controlled (at least on my two amps). I will, however, plug/unplug sources like CD players, turntables or tuners to a preamp with the selector switch set to another input or from source to attenuator with the gain all the way down.

rw

N. Abstentia
10-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Yep. Very easy to short out wires, especially speakers, if you're connecting them while it's on. Worst case...bye bye output stage. Also plugging/unplugging RCA's cause voltage spikes, which make loud POPS thorough the speakers.

Possible concequinces basically is toasted equipment. Won't happen every time, but it's very possible.

tpcounty
10-13-2004, 02:08 PM
What about hooking up the video from vcr or dvd player to dvd? Same issue or less dangerous?

markw
10-13-2004, 05:44 PM
You' just might get some kick ass hum that may or may not take out a speaker.

But, you can feel free to ignore all this advice. It's not as if it cost you anything ....yet.

Consider it cheap insurance.

tpcounty
10-14-2004, 09:04 AM
You' just might get some kick ass hum that may or may not take out a speaker.

But, you can feel free to ignore all this advice. It's not as if it cost you anything ....yet.

Consider it cheap insurance.

If I wasn't concerned about it I wouldn't have asked the question. I was just wondering because sometimes in haste I have swapped cables without unplugging. I know now that this is a dangerous practice and won't do it anymore.

No need to be condescending. Sorry for asking a stupid question.

markw
10-14-2004, 10:09 AM
Even after everyone told you it's a dangerous proposition you STILL kept on trying to rationalize it.

...so I gave it to you. Happy?

It's a numbers game. Most times nothing will happen and you thik it'sa foolish rule. Then, that one time you do screw the pooch you wish you had taken out that cheap insurance.

But, then again, sometimes people only learn by making the same mistakes they were cautioned against. They are called fools.

tpcounty
10-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Even after everyone told you it's a dangerous proposition you STILL kept on trying to rationalize it.

...so I gave it to you. Happy?

It's a numbers game. Most times nothing will happen and you thik it'sa foolish rule. Then, that one time you do screw the pooch you wish you had taken out that cheap insurance.

But, then again, sometimes people only learn by making the same mistakes they were cautioned against. They are called fools.

Where did I try to rationalize? I asked a single supplementary question wondering if the same holds true for video connections. I am sorry if my limited knowledge prevented me from realizing whether video or audio had equal dangers.

Sorry for inconveniencing you.

Better to be a fool than a jerk.

tpcounty
10-14-2004, 11:27 AM
but really these questions were not to rationalize future behavior but to allay fears of PAST behavior. I took heed the advice, and had all intentions of modifying future behavior. I simply had fears I may have already caused problems from past ignorant behavior done in haste. Thus the questions. Still no need for condescension. This is a forum with many diverse people and knowledge levels. Perhaps some tolerance is in order? Instead of jumping to conclusions and attacking.