John Adams quotes. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : John Adams quotes.

piece-it pete
10-13-2004, 06:28 AM
By popular request, the man who inherited the mantle of Federalism from Washington, though generally not as good a speaker:

"A desire to be observed, considered, esteemed, praised, beloved, and admired by his fellows is one of the earliest as well as the keenest dispositions discovered in the heart of man.

Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.

All the perplexities, confusion and distress in America arise, not from defects in their Constitution or Confederation, not from want of honor or virtue, so much as from the downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit and circulation.

Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

Fear is the foundation of most governments.

Genius is sorrow's child.

Here is everything which can lay hold of the eye, ear and imagination - everything which can charm and bewitch the simple and ignorant. I wonder how Luther ever broke the spell.

I always consider the settlement of America with reverence and wonder, as the opening of a grand scene and design in providence, for the illumination of the ignorant and the emancipation of the slavish part of mankind all over the earth.

I have accepted a seat in the House of Representatives, and thereby have consented to my own ruin, to your ruin, and to the ruin of our children. I give you this warning that you may prepare your mind for your fate. [Pete note: lol]

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy.

If we do not lay out ourselves in the service of mankind whom should we serve?

In politics the middle way is none at all.

Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.

My country has contrived for me the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived. [Pete note: RE the Vice Presidency]

Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak.

Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.

The Declaration of Independence I always considered as a theatrical show. Jefferson ran away with all the stage effect of that... and all the glory of it.

The essence of a free government consists in an effectual control of rivalries.

The happiness of society is the end of government.

The Hebrews have done more to civilize men than any other nation. If I were an atheist, and believed blind eternal fate, I should still believe that fate had ordained the Jews to be the most essential instrument for civilizing the nations.

The right of a nation to kill a tyrant in case of necessity can no more be doubted than to hang a robber, or kill a flea.

There are two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.

Think of your forefathers! Think of your posterity.

When people talk of the freedom of writing, speaking or thinking I cannot choose but laugh. No such thing ever existed. No such thing now exists; but I hope it will exist. But it must be hundreds of years after you and I shall write and speak no more.

Yesterday the greatest question was decided which ever was debated in America; and a greater perhaps never was, nor will be, decided among men. A resolution was passed without one dissenting colony, ''that these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States.''

And, to top it off, the cheerful thought of the day:

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide."

There you go! I think I'll go with Johns' cousin, Samuel Adams (brewer AND patriot! ) next. Any comments or requests?

Pete