best type of cables - help please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : best type of cables - help please

crepu
10-13-2004, 01:42 AM
Although I search in previous posts whether I can find an answer to my problem , but I could not.
So please help me with choosing the best type of connection/cables for connection my dvd player + av receiver + tv.
Presently, for audio, I am using an optic cable between dvd player and av receiver and for video, my dvd player is connected directly to TV (non-HDTV) with s-video cable. The alternative possible connections on my TV are :
s-video, rca, scart.
so what should I do to get the best possible video connection ? I think I cannot use component video connection because there is no component input on my TV.

JDaniel
10-13-2004, 05:24 AM
Although I search in previous posts whether I can find an answer to my problem , but I could not.

I read through your post twice, and didn't find what the "problem" was. It sounds like you have everything correct, and S-Video is a very good option (probably the best if you don't have component connections on your tv). I know nothing about S-cart though.

If your "problem" is what's the best possible video connection - just experiment. Try all three types, then choose what looks best to your eyes. Borrow or buy the extra cables, then return the one you don't use.

Have you properly calibrated your system with a calibration disc? If not, that will probably give you more improvement than any changing of cables.

JD

alumpkin
10-13-2004, 05:26 AM
So please help me with choosing the best type of connection/cables for connection my dvd player + av receiver + tv.
Presently, for audio, I am using an optic cable between dvd player and av receiver and for video, my dvd player is connected directly to TV (non-HDTV) with s-video cable. The alternative possible connections on my TV are :
s-video, rca, scart.
so what should I do to get the best possible video connection ? I think I cannot use component video connection because there is no component input on my TV.

Reading your post, I think you are fine with the cabling setup you have now - S-Video and Optical audio. S-Video will definitely be better than RCA (Composite). The SCART option is not bad, but from what I know about SCART, it is similar to S-Video quality if not worse. Picking through a few online sites about SCART, it appears the original purpose for SCART was to adopt a European standard and help preventing foreign competitors. Regardless, SCART can limit you. The original SCART connectors did not support S-Video quality signals so you must make sure that your SCART connector explicitly supports S-Video as it is not part of the original SCART standards. Component is definitely better than SCART and S-Video, but as you said, you do not have component inputs on your television.

Overall I think you are fine with your current setup.

A few pages from one site concerning SCART and S-Video:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video