Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo

tpcounty
10-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Is there any real difference between receivers from Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo? At the same price point can you expect similar performance? Is it just fitting features to you needs or is there a real tangible difference in quality or performance?

I know people are loyal to certain brands but have they really tried the other offerings?

Woochifer
10-12-2004, 03:47 PM
When you're talking about receivers at similar price points, then the sound quality differences are not all that obvious when you' listen to them in the default settings. I tried receivers from all three makers, and the sound quality differences are very subtle even under biased sighted listenings. The real tangible differences are more in the advanced signal processing functions, the user interface, the build quality, connectivity, and the features.

Also keep in mind that different receiver makers put out their new models at different times, so at any given time any one of those manufacturers will have some distinct advantage. At this time last year, Yamaha had just introduced the RX-V1400, and it had a major advantage with its newly introduced acoustic room calibration feature. That was really the main feature that set the Yamaha apart from the others, which were otherwise very comparable. Now, Denon has added a similar feature to its AVR-2805, and I would expect Onkyo to introduce some sort of room calibration function soon. Of course, now the RX-V1400 is getting closed out, so it now has a price advantage.

I would suggest that you look out for closeout deals and look at whether the newer (and higher priced) models have a feature that's essential. The other advantage of a closeout is that you can more readily check around to see if a particular model has realiability problems.

tpcounty
10-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks! Great info.

So look for current features I may want then look for closeouts etc... Can do!

Since you say you have tried all three brands, do you have a preference (if all else is equal)?

Woochifer
10-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks! Great info.

So look for current features I may want then look for closeouts etc... Can do!

Since you say you have tried all three brands, do you have a preference (if all else is equal)?

I went with Yamaha, but that's largely because I'd already bought Yamaha gear in the past and was always happy with their product quality. It was really up to the other companies to show me something that would knock the Yamaha out of the box. None of the other companies did, so I went with Yamaha again.

Lord_Magnepan
10-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Thats like what i did, only with Onkyo Integra. If you only care about DD and THX, then the Integra 939 is a killer and can be found cheap too.

tpcounty
10-13-2004, 02:04 PM
I went with Yamaha, but that's largely because I'd already bought Yamaha gear in the past and was always happy with their product quality. It was really up to the other companies to show me something that would knock the Yamaha out of the box. None of the other companies did, so I went with Yamaha again.

So by that same token, if the word Yamaha was replaced with Denon or Onkyo in the statement above, the statement would still be applicable?

Bottom line, all three brands are good and you probably won't go wrong choosing any of them?

This Guy
10-13-2004, 02:07 PM
yeah pretty much. You can add Marantz and Harmon Kardon to that list too. All make good products and the differences between them are all very minor. Just get whatever one has all the specs you need and whatever has a better price.

kfalls
10-14-2004, 06:01 AM
The three you've listed are also my top three of "mid-fi" receivers. I've had experience with all three mentioned and would give top consideration to the Yamaha and Denon. I have only heard the newer Yamaha's at audio stores, but feel their sound is much improved over past models.

As far as sound quality, I give a slight edge to Denon. The Denon sounds more fluid and is more three dimensional and projects a better surround image in the room. I'm able to easliy place instruments in the soundstage.

Yamaha is a very close second in sound, but excells in formats, and DSP programs. The sound is very dynamic and robust, providing all the power you'd need for movies as well as music. IMO they're more intuitive to interact with. I've owned several Yamaha receivers over the years and had never had a problem with any of them.

Onkyo has a higher noise level and sound less dynamic to me. I also find their build quality to be less than the others. They do provide adequate formats and DSP programs and their specs. look good.

The only experience I hav ewith Marantz is with their mono amps (MA-500/MA700) which I use to drive my subwoofer. They work like a champ, plenty of power, more than adequate to fill my 13x25 room with quality bass. They were very reasonably priced as well.

I haven't had any experience with the Harmons. I've seen them and noticed they have some common design feature with Onkyo.

If you can find a Yamaha RXV-1400/2400 at a good price I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it.

Darwin
10-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Is there any real difference between receivers from Denon, Yamaha, or Onkyo? At the same price point can you expect similar performance? Is it just fitting features to you needs or is there a real tangible difference in quality or performance?

I know people are loyal to certain brands but have they really tried the other offerings?

Denon's have a warm sound that does not cause ear fatigue. Also they are the only receiver that allows you to play music on all speakers w/o using a surround effect.

Woochifer
10-19-2004, 04:19 PM
Denon's have a warm sound that does not cause ear fatigue. Also they are the only receiver that allows you to play music on all speakers w/o using a surround effect.

Play music on all speakers w/o using a surround effect -- is that the same as five/six/seven channel stereo mode? Or are you referring to direct mode, analog bypass, or what? If so, there are several other receivers out there that are capable of that.

tpcounty
10-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Play music on all speakers w/o using a surround effect -- is that the same as five/six/seven channel stereo mode? Or are you referring to direct mode, analog bypass, or what? If so, there are several other receivers out there that are capable of that.

Do Yamaha and Onkyo have the 5/6/7 channel stereo mode? I am familiar with Denon's 5 channel stereo mode.

tpcounty
10-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Judging by most comments I have read, it seems that Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, HK, Marantz are similar in quality and price. Is it safe to say also that the next lower tier would include Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic, and Kenwood? Or are they ALL basically the same?

Woochifer
10-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Do Yamaha and Onkyo have the 5/6/7 channel stereo mode? I am familiar with Denon's 5 channel stereo mode.

Yamaha does have that mode, not sure about Onkyo.

nick4433
10-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Yamaha does have that mode, not sure about Onkyo.

Onkyo has that version too as do most other receivers. However, unlike DD or DTS, the algorithm may differ on every manufacturers 5/6 channel stereo. I could definitely tell a difference between Yamaha's and Denon's 5/6 channel stereo mode.

N. Abstentia
10-19-2004, 06:09 PM

I've had an Onkyo for nearly two years that does this. Kinda useless though, as 2 channel music is...well..meant to be played in 2 channel. If you want surround music, invest in SACD and DVD-A. That will make '5 channel stereo' sound fake...maybe because it is!

spacedeckman
10-20-2004, 05:10 AM
I think just about everyone has a multichannel stereo mode, and has had for the past 3 years or so. It is no longer anything close to an exclusive.

BTW, some peoples "warm" is anothers "congested". I haven't played with any other new Denons but the 3805. That is the best sounding piece they have put out in over 10 years. Prior to that I found the stuff to sound "iffy". The worst offenders were the two big ones. The 5803, IMHO, was a complete dog in the sonics department. They were muffled sounding, tonally "off" in the midrange, and threw a relatively narrow, ill defined soundstage when compared to the Yamaha 1400 at $800. I found it completely amusical, and I'm a tube guy. Maybe it is what somebody unfamiliar with audio expects high end stuff to sound like. I know "warm" and that isn't it.

I've spent most of the past 20 years around real high end, and am amazed that this "urban legend" still survives. 10 years ago it was probably true, Yamaha's amps were at about their lowest point in the sound quality department. It hasn't been true for the past 5 or so years. Granted, you hook up a Yamaha to a pair of Klipsch, and it will sound bright, but that is a speaker problem. The little ones sound a bit bright, but not offensively so, the bigger ones are nearly "spot on" to my ears and experience.

Now, the 3805 seems to be a player. Kudos to Denon for making something that doesn't sound like mud.