Live Archive music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Live Archive music

Jim Clark
10-12-2004, 12:51 PM
This is potentially too big to let stay buried in the Tuesday thread so I'll let it out for some air.
http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?

Swish brought this discovery to the board and it has proven to be an awesome find. Naturally the listings are populated with Jam Bands, that just figures given their followers and usual thoughts on recording shows. Still, there are some bands of note that get discussed here and I'm sure more than a few others that I don't know anything about. The cool thing is that they use a loss less compression format that unlike MP3 doesn't sacrifice quality for file size. As you probably guessed, the downloads aren't as easy as MP3 but an FTP client like SmartFTP makes things easy. Conversion to .wav is easy as most files are .flac or .shn. Information on software is available on the site.

Some cool bands with downloads worth jacking with for me:
...trail of dead
Camper Van Bethoven
Calexico
Godspeed You Black Emperor *(I just learned that a track from 28 Days Later is by this band. The song is called "East Hastings" or the "Sad Mafioso". It's the song that is playing when Jim is walking around a deserted and devastated London. What an awesome song.)
Mogwai
Ryan Adams
Samples
Rainmakers
Spoon
Mermen
Bob Walkenhorst
Xiu Xiu
Gary Jules
Fugazzi

Others may also like:
Los Lonely Boys
Bela Fleck
Cowboy Junkies
Honeydogs
and whatever else is there.

Just FYI the Calexico show is killer!

Thanks Swish!

jc

Slosh
08-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Jim/Swish,

I finally got around to trying this out and am downloading the Stockholm Calexico show as I type this, in FLAC of course, and yes, it sounds great. I have a few questions being a newbie and all.

What's the point of the Smart FTP Client? When I click on a song to download Windows tells my it's defaulting to save-to-disk in the MediaMonkey library. MediaMonkey plays/rips/burns/syncs FLAC in case you've never used it, BTW. Do I even need Smart FTP? It doesn't appear to be doing anything.

I don't seem to be able to download the whole show at once, in FLAC anyway. Is this typical or just for this particular concert?

Do I need the FLAC fingerprint? I don't even know what it is.

I'm assuming I'll need to download the meta data file as well as MediaMonkey is telling me I'm currently playing "calexico2003 - 25d106 I 0:15/2:42".

I'll need to convert this to WMA Lossless to play on my DAP (Toshiba GigaBeat S30) but that's not really a big deal with dBpowerAMP.

Anyway, yeah, what a great site. I only wish I acted on it two years ago when this thread was originally posted!

audiobill
08-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Okay, Jim, Swish and Slosh.

I'm giving this a try, as I type.

I'm a big Spoon fan & I'm trying to download their 2003 Live at the Fillmore show.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Cheers,

Bill

BradH
08-20-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't seem to be able to download the whole show at once, in FLAC anyway. Is this typical or just for this particular concert?

Hey, Slosh, the whole show would be a huge file. I've got a 40 min disc in FLAC files on my hd adding up to 217 Meg. So live shows are usually cut into tracks.

Do I need the FLAC fingerprint? I don't even know what it is.

It's just an extra verification like an MD5 for SHN files. I never use it because FLAC uses its own internal checksum.

bobsticks
08-20-2006, 05:27 PM
jc,
Thanks for the link. I've been enjoying the Calexico and some Jack Johnson.

Unfortunately, the link seems to be down today...?

audiobill
08-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Okay, folks.

I've downloaded the "lossless" Spoon live at the Fillmore file from the cool site you mention on RR.

Now what??

I unzipped it. iTunes won't recognize it when i try to import it's folder.

I need you to walk me step-by-step through accessing it. Is there a (free) player I need to download??

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill aka audiobil

Slosh
08-21-2006, 03:52 AM
I need you to walk me step-by-step through accessing it. Is there a (free) player I need to download??
www.mediamonkey.com is what I use. It can also sync directly to an iPod but only in mp3 format (but I believe there is an m4a plug-in available, which should be able to convert FLAC to Apple Lossless/AAC). I use dBpowerAMP (also free) to convert the FLAC files to WMA Lossless for my mp3 player and also to convert to Apple Lossless for my daughter's iPod. AFAIK you can't batch-file convert with it, though. One track at a time isn't so bad when you're only doing a couple of dozen songs. What do you expect for free? :)

I've been manually tagging the files with MediaMonkey. Right click on the song and select "Properties" then you can tag it exactly like you would in iTunes. Why they don't use ID3 tags like everyone else is beyond me. Once the files are tagged (don't forget to put the track numbers in!) then I'll convert to other formats. Of course if I just want to listen to the FLAC files via the PC I simply play them with MediaMonkey.

I found out the hard way not to use the zipped FLAC option (when available). I had 100+ megs from Pinback, Andrew Bird, and The Decemberists shows downloaded when the server failed. Now I just download tracks individually (actually 3 at a time but selected individually). If there are server problems at least this way I don't have to start all over again.

Slosh
08-21-2006, 04:20 AM
jc,
Thanks for the link. I've been enjoying the Calexico and some Jack Johnson.

Unfortunately, the link seems to be down today...?It's been moved. Try this:
http://www.archive.org/browse.php?collection=etree&field=%2Fmetadata%2Fcreator

audiobill
08-21-2006, 07:58 AM
www.mediamonkey.com is what I use. It can also sync directly to an iPod but only in mp3 format (but I believe there is an m4a plug-in available, which should be able to convert FLAC to Apple Lossless/AAC). I use dBpowerAMP (also free) to convert the FLAC files to WMA Lossless for my mp3 player and also to convert to Apple Lossless for my daughter's iPod. AFAIK you can't batch-file convert with it, though. One track at a time isn't so bad when you're only doing a couple of dozen songs. What do you expect for free? :)

Okay, Slosh.

I've converted the FLAC to wav via dbpowerAMP. Then I used Roxio to burn a CDr.
Does this conversion give me CDquality sound or is it just mp3?? I hope so. (pardon my ignorance, but I don't know much when it comes to file formats)
Next question: I noticed that the file on my computer for the Spoon archive show is 743mb. That's a lot of memory, no?? Consequently, I'm thinking of deleting the file and simply enjoying the CDr, thereby freeing up computer memory.

I guess the real question is .......... Did all of this converting get me a CDr, in the end, that is CDlike in audio quality or did I simply get mp3quality??

Thanks, in advance,

Bill

Jim Clark
08-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Okay, Slosh.

I guess the real question is .......... Did all of this converting get me a CDr, in the end, that is CDlike in audio quality or did I simply get mp3quality??

Thanks, in advance,

Bill

No, you did real good and that's all there is to it. If a source is confirmed to be from a lossy source, such as MP3, it is immediately deleted from the archive. There's no way you're getting any lower quality unless you compress it yourself with one of the lossy formats. Of course I would argue against you or anyone else doing that.

You could do a google search on Roxio and flac and see if there's a plug in available. The cool thing about that would be that then you don't have to go through the step of decompressing yourself. I know there's a Nero plug in that works great, not sure about Roxio.

There is no benefit of keeping the either the Flac files or the .wav files on your PC unless you plan on ruining the disc soon. I'd delete them and look for other shows that may be of interest. I've found some sites that are to me much better than live music archive but gaining access to them is sometimes a tough proposition.

I really want to get into Indietorrents.com Unless you know someone already on to invite you in, you just can't get access. I've yet to run across anyone who was in. This site also has a lot of MP3 sourced shows but I'd be willing to try it anyway.

http://www.purelivegigs.com is a site that probably has room for new users. I see shows from Bowie, Merc. Rev., and BSS on the first page.

http://www.thetradersden.org/ Has a huge selection of more classic rock oriented stuff but I did grab a show by the Faint on there once.

My favorite site is http://www.dimeadozen.org/ but it's virtually impossible to get into unless you're willing to be very persistent and just keep trying to register.

jc

BradH
08-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Consequently, I'm thinking of deleting the file and simply enjoying the CDr, thereby freeing up computer memory.

That's what I always do. Even if I want to keep the lossless files I burn them to a data disc and archive it. The only time I do that is if the lossless files are not from a rip but came directly from the taper or the guy who did the remaster and then posted it or seeded it to a trading group (Tape>WAV>FLAC). It's mostly for trading purposes. Some people want the lossless files, some people will take a good rip if you have an established relationship with certain traders.

I'm gonna scarf 311 and the Soft Boys off that site.

audiobill
08-21-2006, 06:06 PM
That's what I always do. Even if I want to keep the lossless files I burn them to a data disc and archive it.
I'm gonna scarf 311 and the Soft Boys off that site.

Cool. Now, I feel confident in trying another live show. It's great to be able to preserve the high quality sound; without the degradation of an mp3.

audiobill
08-21-2006, 06:09 PM
No, you did real good and that's all there is to it

jc

Thanks, Jim!!

You've certainly enhanced my music listening experience (and for months/years to come).
That's what I love about this board. I get to learn so much from others.

Thanks-a-ton for teaching me something new.

Cheers,

audiobill

Swish
08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
This is potentially too big to let stay buried in the Tuesday thread so I'll let it out for some air.
http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?

Swish brought this discovery to the board and it has proven to be an awesome find. N
Just FYI the Calexico show is killer!

Thanks Swish!

jc
...unless I did something when I was totally sloshed. Speaking of which, I believe the credit should go to Slosh. Correct me if I'm wrong Sloshmeister.

Swish

Jim Clark
08-22-2006, 05:12 AM
...unless I did something when I was totally sloshed. Speaking of which, I believe the credit should go to Slosh. Correct me if I'm wrong Sloshmeister.

Swish

Heck, I dunno. The original post was from 2 years ago!

Slosh
08-22-2006, 05:23 AM
Yeah Bill, you did it right. Even so I suggest MediaMonkey if all you want to do is burn CD-Rs of the shows. dBpowerAMP is a great tool that you'll want to keep on your PC for future use but as you've seen, converting one track at a time can be tedious. MediaMonkey will take your FLAC "albums" or playlists and burn a gapless CD-R (which obviously is important for live recordings), plus it writes the track/artist meta data as CD-Text. All you need to do is select your folder/playlist, hit send to, select burn CD, and MM does the rest.

I keep the files on my HDD, mostly so I can listen to them on my SoundBridge(s) and/or so I can sync them to my mp3 player, but then again I have 360GB of HDD storage and am in no danger of running short of space anytime soon. My only use for CD-R at the moment is for my cars but you're right, I should back these up as I can easily see downloading 10GB in the not-so-distant future. I don't bother backing up my ripped music because, duh, I already have the original CDs for that.

Slosh
08-22-2006, 05:37 AM
Oh, busy balls! I can't remember what I had for breakfast, let alone what I may or may not have posted two years ago.

If it was me then I'm truly living up to my moniker.

NP: Pinback - Live in San Francisco 11/27/04

audiobill
08-22-2006, 07:03 PM
. All you need to do is select your folder/playlist, hit send to, select burn CD, and MM does the rest.

I think I'll be using the extra steps involved in the dbPowerAmp converter, since I tried to use the Media Monkey "burn Wizard", but it does not seem to want to work for me. Indeed, it is "not responding" whenever I try to use it to burn a cdr.

Oh, well.

Stone
08-23-2006, 06:27 AM
I need to learn how to do this. I did d/l and burn a Ted Leo set yesterday, but used MP3s. I really want to do this in a lossless format. I'll play with this when I get some time.

Slosh
08-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Wow, is this an awesome site or what?

For example: I just downloaded an Andrew Bird's Bowl Of Fire show recorded at the Double Door in Chicago on June 2, 2001, and it includes early versions of Opposite Day, Skin Is, My, Fake Palindromes, and The Happy Birthday Song . . . . four years before they appeared on The Mysterious Production Of Eggs, and with the Bowl Of Fire backing, obviously. Very cool :cool:

Oh, and the sonics are excellent.

Davey
08-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Gee, thanks Jim, but you got the wrong guy......unless I did something when I was totally sloshed. Speaking of which, I believe the credit should go to Slosh. Correct me if I'm wrong Sloshmeister.

Swish
Courtesy of your fact checkin' cuz ... http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=5021

Jimbo sent me a copy of a Calexico show a couple years ago and it's a ringer. Great stuff. Never did d/l any myself though. Did pick up a PJ Harvey show recently from the Hay-on-Wye festival this year....

PJ Harvey
Hay Festival of Literature and The Arts
Hay On Wye
26 May 2006

Polly played a coruscating solo set in a tent at the Hay festival in a one off show. She was in good form, chatting with the crowd more than I've ever seen before and we also got three new songs from a forthcoming album that she has written on the piano. I've separated out the longer crowd chats as separate tracks and it should all fit on one cd if you can overburn. If not, or if you just want to get rid of it anyway, track 20 is merely the applause before the encore.

As this show was in a tent with a temporary stand, there is a little noise between tracks from the steps, although I think it is less obtrusive on the recording for the most part and certainly not enough to detract. The sound itself is pretty good, imho anyway! I've not done anything to the sound at all. There is a very small gap in Electric Light (less than 1 sec?) and I don't know why it's there and didn't think it worth doing anything with it.

Lineage

Sony D7 -> Creative Live Drive -> PC -> FLAC Level 6 -> Trader's Little Helper (to check SBE's) & MD5 Summer -> Your ears via Bit Torrent

Set List

1 O My Lover
2 Send His Love To Me
3 Mansize
4 "Birds on Sticks & My Sheep's got Wheels" Chat
5 "new song - unknown title"
6 The Mountain 1st attempt \ "As Big As An Aeroplane!"
7 The Mountain 2nd attempt
8 The Dancer
9 Dress
10 Angelene
11 My Beautiful Leah
12 Nina In Ecstasy
13 "Turn it off & turn it on again"
14 Electric Light
15 Who The ****
16 Big Exit
17 The Garden
18 Horses In My Dreams
19 Rid Of Me
------------
20 "Applause"
21 "Les Dawson"
22 Bitter Little Bird
23 Water
24 Desperate Kingdom Of Love

audiobill
08-23-2006, 07:11 AM
I need to learn how to do this. I did d/l and burn a Ted Leo set yesterday, but used MP3s. I really want to do this in a lossless format. I'll play with this when I get some time.

Hey, Stone.

Follow Slosh's steps & you'll be getting Lossless in no time: " I use dBpowerAMP (also free) to convert the FLAC files to WMA Lossless for my mp3 player and also to convert to Apple Lossless for my daughter's iPod. AFAIK you can't batch-file convert with it, though. One track at a time isn't so bad when you're only doing a couple of dozen songs. What do you expect for free?" - Slosh

I've completed two shows in lossless, now. Download the free version of dBpowerAMP and it's relatively easy from there.

Let us know how you make out.

Bill