Kenwood receiver VR605 standby light is blinking... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood receiver VR605 standby light is blinking...

copperslay3
10-12-2004, 11:32 AM
I have read through all the threads to find an answer and was unsuccessful, so I joined in order to ask this question. I recently moved, and before disconnecting my Home theatre it was fine. Now after sitting for a week it has lost its memory and so have I. When I plug the receiver in the standby light is illuminated, when I hit power button on remote (per manual) the receiver comes on for just a full 2 seconds (display illuminates radio station) and then it turns itself off and the standby indicator starts to blink. I have bought new speaker wire and reconnected everything a trillion times (the receiver and speakers were sold as a set, although they are Yamaha). I had this happen when I originally bought this cheap s*#@, but can't remember how I rectified the prob. Anyone know??????? Thanks in advance......... I'm new,......... would like a new fancier system, but lack the funds at present.

Copper
PS I have attempted to reset microcomputer.....no help there.

uncooked
10-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Ok heres what i say.

Unplug the wire from your speakers, and the back of the amp. Redo it all very carefully making sure there is absolutely no extra strands sticking out or touching the other terminal at all. Make sure the red terminals on the amp is connected to the red terminals on the speakers. same goes with the black. I usually use the marked side of the wire to go to red.

Now that you know its not the wire doing it. Pull out the receivers owner manual and read it. If youve lost it or cant find it or whatever go to kenwoods site and look it up and download it. I think there all there, maybe its something the amp does. Read all the intro stuff and see if it mentions anything. Do this and then write back and say what happens.

Good luck

This is a very slim chance but you said you moved. Maybe it had a rough trip and it is damaged inside? Try the other things first.

jamison
10-12-2004, 08:53 PM
I would try unplugging all the speaker wires and cables from the receiver then power it up again, if it does the same thing its the receiver. Double check all your connections and make sure your power outlet is properly grounded. I have an Onkyo receiver do the same thing your describing and it was all due to an improper ground.

one other thing to try is connect each speaker individually and power it up if you find one particular speaker that shuts it off its either a faulty wire or there is a short in the speaker.
hope this helps i have had similar experiences.

copperslay3
10-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Ok heres what i say.

Unplug the wire from your speakers, and the back of the amp. Redo it all very carefully making sure there is absolutely no extra strands sticking out or touching the other terminal at all. Make sure the red terminals on the amp is connected to the red terminals on the speakers. same goes with the black. I usually use the marked side of the wire to go to red.

Now that you know its not the wire doing it. Pull out the receivers owner manual and read it. If youve lost it or cant find it or whatever go to kenwoods site and look it up and download it. I think there all there, maybe its something the amp does. Read all the intro stuff and see if it mentions anything. Do this and then write back and say what happens.

Good luck

This is a very slim chance but you said you moved. Maybe it had a rough trip and it is damaged inside? Try the other things first.

Thanks for responding, uncooked.......I did as you suggested and restripped my new speaker wire, and twisted them all nice and neat, and reinserted marked side to the red terminals of receiver and speakers, same thing. I do have the receiver manual (know it by heart by now) but went to the website and checked the online manual in case of an update. The only thing it mentions as it does in the one I have, is that when the receiver is disconnected from the power source for about 24 hours, the rec. loses its memory, including its on/power/standby (this still sounds strange to me), but no clue as to how to reset it. It does however, describe how to reset the microcomputer if system stops working properly.........convinced this qualifies :), I tried that again. It still blinks, and it still sucks. While I was there I emailed them with my prob, after reading all their troubleshooting tips for a clue. I expect to hear back from them in the next century.

There is a grim possibility it was damaged in the move........I tried to be very careful while packing it and such, but my movers (friends) were compensated in Budweiser and were not necessarily the *wiser* towards the end of the day. Thanks for your time and suggs, if anything else comes to mind........lemme know. I shall be anxiously awaiting as I peruse through credit cards........praying there may be one left that it not maxed....as I now live in the sticks where the closest Radio Shack is a day's travel by mule.....and the crickets cannot possibly hope to replace my precious HT.

yers truly
Copper

copperslay3
10-12-2004, 11:54 PM
I would try unplugging all the speaker wires and cables from the receiver then power it up again, if it does the same thing its the receiver. Double check all your connections and make sure your power outlet is properly grounded. I have an Onkyo receiver do the same thing your describing and it was all due to an improper ground.

one other thing to try is connect each speaker individually and power it up if you find one particular speaker that shuts it off its either a faulty wire or there is a short in the speaker.
hope this helps i have had similar experiences.

It does the same thing when everything is unplugged and yes, it is definitely the receiver, Jamison....I was just hoping that on the off chance I may joggle the memory reset if I rewired it for the magic trillionth time :).
A good point about the power supply....the "new" place has a breaker box the size of my micro-speaker....and appears to have been installed immediately following the invention of the light bulb. Under the burden of all my techno-toys it is probably a miracle it has not burst into flames. The receptacle plates are different than any I have seen.....they are unusually large and the screws are in the corners of the plate....circa 1890? I am afraid that if I peek inside I may find a miniature Dino pedaling madly to produce electricity for Bedrock. But since baldness is considered unattractive in females, this will be my next move. Somehow the idea of rewiring again makes me want to pull my hair out........ Ain't the ground the green wire? Assuming these ancient electricians color-coded such things? Thanks for yer help,

"Lost in Time"
Copper

uncooked
10-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Carry the receiver around to other outlets in the house and try it out. "different circuits"

If its possible try a neighbours house if possible then youve really ruled out the ground problem.

It might be a good idea just to undo all the screws on the cover and take it off, take a look around on the inside and see if anything looks wrong just from a quick look through. "disconnected wire, burn marks, weird black tar looking stuff, etc" Your might just be able to look and see something seriously wrong.

jamison
10-13-2004, 04:20 PM
I had the same problem as you an electrical system designed from about 1920. my power fluctuated greatly. do you own this home or are you renting? I own my home and wanted to bring the whole electric system up to code when i had the house insulated. which meant replacing the15 amp fuse box and all the wiring. they replaced at a cost of about $3 grand. fortunatly they were able to fish the wires through and add the required amount of boxes without a whole ton of repair work. I had old plaster in a few rooms so i had to spray some texturing on it to hide the repairs. a whole lot of work and a good chunk of cash yes but better that than have your whole house burn down due to an electrical fire.

if you are renting thats a whole new issue.

I know this doesnt help your receiver issue but having a safe home is a heck of a lot more important than your receiver.