Dumb Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question

poneal
12-10-2003, 06:13 PM
When connnecting/disconnecting speakers should your receiver/amplifier be off? I've never been shocked but am curious if it is dangerous to do this with the reciever/amplifier on. I do turn the sound down so that I don't get loud bursts of noise going through the speakers.

zapr
12-10-2003, 07:31 PM
When connecting or disconnecting speakers you should do so with the power off.Damage to your amp could result otherwise.

jeskibuff
12-10-2003, 08:11 PM
I've never been shocked but am curious if it is dangerous to do this with the reciever/amplifier on.
I don't believe the voltages are high enough for you to feel a shock, but as zapr says, your amp is what is vulnerable to damage, especially if your disconnected speaker leads accidentally touch each other and short out the amp.

maxg
12-11-2003, 01:31 AM
I have seen a high power amp blow its entire right channel when disconnecting a pair of speakers (Quad 989's in this case) as the wires touched. Blue flash, terrible smell and $2,400 bill!!!

FLZapped
12-11-2003, 10:17 AM
When connnecting/disconnecting speakers should your receiver/amplifier be off? I've never been shocked but am curious if it is dangerous to do this with the reciever/amplifier on. I do turn the sound down so that I don't get loud bursts of noise going through the speakers.

I would shut the amp off, some amps can be damaged if you should accidentally short the speaker leads together.

-Bruce

poneal
12-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks so much. Sometimes my cables came out of the speaker clips so I would just plug it back in with the amp on. Just the other day, the light came on and I asked myself wtf I was doing. From now on the amp goes off, because I surely don't want to fry my amp. Thanks again.