The Third Man!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Third Man!!!!

Worf101
10-12-2004, 06:21 AM
That's why I just love TCM. I'd never seen or heard of this seminal film noir classic before. Although many would say you couldn't call it film noir because of it's British European roots, but it certainly looked it to me. An amazing and quirky film shot in post war Austria. A film in the late 40's showing black marketerring, theft, murder, the growing cold war problem, cowardly Americans, gays and god knows what else... all set to to the tune of Zither music!!!???

Incredible that this movie ever got made. And it features one of the great chase scenes in cinematic history as well as one great solliloquy by Orson Wells. See it when you get a chance. I'm amazed it was never mentioned on any of the top 20 or top 10's around here. Hey Kam, figured you'd have told folks about this one...

Da Worfster :D

Troy
10-12-2004, 07:09 AM
Yeah, I've seen this filmnoir classic many times.

I love the wry and sardonic tone. Joseph Cotton is pefect in the role of snarky and naive western writer Holly Martins trying to determine the cause of death of his friend. By far, Cotton's best role.

I love to look of a war torn Vienna. Shot on location in 1949, the town and everyone in it looks beat up, hungry and tired. The cynicism of the entire story and massive plot wrenching twist suits the location and characters perfectly.

Oscar winning cinematography. The depth of the long black shadows is as deep as the lies and deception in the story.

audiobill
10-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I've seen this filmnoir classic many times.

I love the wry and sardonic tone. Joseph Cotton is pefect in the role of snarky and naive western writer Holly Martins trying to determine the cause of death of his friend. By far, Cotton's best role.

I love to look of a war torn Vienna. Shot on location in 1949, the town and everyone in it looks beat up, hungry and tired. The cynicism of the entire story and massive plot wrenching twist suits the location and characters perfectly.

Oscar winning cinematography. The depth of the long black shadows is as deep as the lies and deception in the story.

See It.

Been on my "view list" for several years, but still have not seen it.
Recently saw "Touch of Evil" and was blown away by Welles' and Leigh's performances.
Note to Self: See It.
Thanks for the "headzup" guys,
Bill

RGA
10-12-2004, 06:22 PM
I have it well above Citizen Kane - The Third Man is in my top 50.

It's quite interesting commentary on the rich - the scene with Welles describing the "people down there." Always a reminder of how the lower classes are viewed - as Fodder - never forget this when you hear the likes of Politicians ready to send you off to war. We are to certain segments of the super rich what Jews were Nazi's - subhuman and or mere fodder for their gains.

Powerful social commentary. If you get a chance to see the Hoffman version of Death of a Salesman - it too runs a similar if more symbolic vision that American Dream as a controlling influence.

Kam
10-13-2004, 06:33 AM
i dont know how or why, but you're right, i dont think i've mentioned it on any list! i always remember touch of evil though, in spite of heston playing a mexican it's a great movie. and this one is up there in the 'welles pantheon' of movies, even though he didn't direct it, just helped with the writing. i love the constant, i'm not irish, i'm english lines with the callahan/callaway character. definitely a great movie.
have to think through my not-so-popular top ten list of great movies... am sure will dig up some gems i've forgotten.... hmmm will have to post a few.

dean_martin
10-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Was able to see Citizen Kane on the big screen a few years back and I've had Touch of Evil in my top 10-15 list since first view. Thanks for highlighting The Third Man. Now, like audiobill, I have another entry on my To Do List.

Worf101
10-15-2004, 06:07 AM
NO FRIGGIN HOLLYWOOD "HAPPY ENDING"!!!!!! For that reason alone I have to recommend this film. No cop outs, no "studio mandated" sappy send-off, just chilling realizations of the flawed nature of man, all over one of the greatest "long tracking shots" I've ever seen. No cavalry, no John Wayne... just the real deal...

Great....

Da Worfster :D