CRSV for Virtual [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CRSV for Virtual

Davey
10-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Hey folks, let's skip the real version since no one really feels like putting a new one together and do a virtual one this time. Same Current Rotation Sampler rules, same Current Rotation Sampler ideals. Just no hardcopy this time out :)

Pick a song from one of your favorite albums released in the last couple years, something that preferably most people aren't familiar with. One of the hidden treasures in your collection. A personal find you're really proud of. Something you'd heartily recommend to most of your geeky friends, that is if you weren't such a geek yourself and actually had some real live friends. Heehee, just kidding, kids! I'll keep the results and post the final comp. Hopefully we can at least fill up a comp's worth.....

I'll lead it off with something from the new Arcade Fire <i>Funeral</i> album. Yeah, it's gotten lots of netbuzz but I don't think too many actually have it yet, do they? OK, probably a few, but so what?! I really wanna go with one of the Neighborhood suites that open the CD, especially the rocking "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)". Hmmm, but there's that rocking little disco number called "Rebellion (Lies)" that has been bouncing around inside my empty brain cavity for hours and days and weeks. Guess I gotta go with that one. Maybe if not enough people respond I can go with both!

Step right up and don't be shy. Just remember, everybody's taste sucks equally around here! Well, except for that one person who has really, really bad taste.........I think he went by the dbi moniker but I haven't seen him for ages :)

-Jar-
10-11-2004, 12:35 PM
This is a little Memphis band that I don't think anyone around here knows about.. but they should.. I even wanted to do a mystery disc they're that good, but I just don't have the time :confused: Anyway, the album is called UNLIMITED SYMMETRY and it's on a small Memphis label called Makeshift Records (http://www.shangri.com/StoreInfo.html - scroll down) dist. by Shangri-la, home of the Grifters.. Anyway, it's a great indie rock record, fans of Modest Mouse, Built to Spill and Pavement should be all over this stuff. I hope that their next release will get some broader attention.

The track is called "Girl Arms" and it's pretty damn original. Very catchy, kind of winding, even in a Dead kind of way - not quite as riff happy as Built to Spill but the vocalist does seem to take some cues from Doug Martsch at times, but more often he's a ringer for the guy from Modest Mouse..

if anyone does make this comp I'll be more than pleased to submit this as my pick! :D

-jar

nobody
10-11-2004, 12:39 PM
OK...I'll play.

I'm gonna pick something off the latest by Two Lone Swordsmen, called From the Double Gone Chapel. The record is a kinda dark electro rock thing with an 80s influence, but I'd say a bit more of an obscure 80s influence than most of the other stuff popular these days. I also tend to think it still remains pretty original. I sent around a couple copies to see if anyone else liked it, and had some positive feedback, so maybe I'm not alone in liking this one.

Now, I'm torn between two songs. I could go with the lead off single, Faux, which is more electronic and probably more representative of the record as a whole, or go with Sex Beat, a Gun Club song which I've always loved and they do a solid version of, featuring some nice distorted guitars.

OK...I guess covers are probably unfair, so my choice is....

Faux by Two Lone Swordsmen

tentoze
10-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Since I have absolutely no compunction about covers, I'm tossing in Please Stay (Once You Go Away) from the latest Twilight Singers' She Loves You ceedee. Dulli and company take this (previously unknown to me) Marvin Gaye tune for their own, mining a tense sensuality out of every do-do-do in the chorus, with some pretty smoking guitar wandering around as well. A terrific farking song.

Slosh
10-11-2004, 01:41 PM
I'm going with Earlimart's "Tell The Truth (parts 1 & 2)". It's the best song you never heard. Don't believe me, ask mr. toze :)

Davey
10-11-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm going with Earlimart's yada yada yada...
Hey, I almost bought that new one last week, but I had the new Giant Sand in my other hand and yada yada yada......so it's not Howe's best but still pretty good. Not as good as Chore of Enchantment, me not thinks. Antway, what I'm getting at is, maybe I shoulda gone with what's his name from your Earlimart singing a tribute to his dead neighbor Elliott Smith than Howe minus the Calexico boys? Hmmm, you place the bet and then watch the race and the winner doesn't always ride with your money on his nose....

NP: Arcade Fire, what else?

Slosh
10-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Anyway, what I'm getting at is, maybe I shoulda gone with what's his name from your Earlimart singing a tribute to his dead neighbor Elliott Smith than Howe minus the Calexico boys?

No, you shoulda got both ;)

NP: an oldie Frodus - And We Washed Our Weapons In The Sea

Phew, for a while there I thought this was just another horrid prog site :p

tentoze
10-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Yup, damned good.

tentoze
10-11-2004, 03:05 PM
BOTH?!?!? Did ya forget it's Squeaky Dave yr talking to? Hehehee.

Dusty Chalk
10-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Let me thimk about it and get back to you. (You really do not what I'm listening to right now -- Mnemic.)
I'm gonna pick something off the latest by Two Lone Swordsmen, called From the Double Gone Chapel.BTW, you were right, this is right up my alley. Total digs from offset zero to #FFFFFF.
Since I have absolutely no compunction about covers, I'm [choosing] from the latest Twilight Singers' She Loves You ceedee. Well, it's not like you had a choice in the matter.

tentoze
10-11-2004, 07:44 PM
I changed my mind and used it on a real comp instead. My new selection for the virtual thing is Indian Lake from this little beauty:

Dusty Chalk
10-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Well, this has been discussed before, but if I know correctly, only one other person has actually heard this:

Jim White, "Combing My Hair In A Brand New Style" from Drill a Hole in the Substrate and Tell Me What You See -- laid back swamp rock at its finest. Love the girly vocals for the backup chorus.

tentoze
10-12-2004, 06:54 AM
Now that's an excellent virtual selection.

Dusty Chalk
10-12-2004, 07:10 AM
And that would be the "only other person" of which I spoke.

Slosh
10-12-2004, 01:32 PM
And that would be the "only other person" of which I spoke.

I have it too (thanks to my nefarious methods ;) ) and in fact . . . .

NP: Jim White - Drill A Hole In That Substrate And Tell Me What You See

Dusty Chalk
10-12-2004, 01:56 PM
'kay. Good.

I think I sold three more copies the other day, when I played it for three other guys. Shortly thereafter, they trooped over to Borders en masse to purchase it (and whatever else piqued their curiosity).

Davey
10-13-2004, 08:01 AM
BOTH?!?!? Did ya forget it's Squeaky Dave yr talking to? Hehehee.
Hey! Now wait a damn minute here!

tick....tock....tick....tock....tick....tock

OK, guess that's long enough. I have been kind of squeaky lately, but only in comparison to free spenders like you and Sloshy who can't seem to go a week without a handful of new CDs. Have you ever considered the thought that you may have a problem?

Hehehe, funny thing about music this year - I was just over at the <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/music/>MetaCritic</a> site and was looking at the top 10 most critically acclaimed albums of the year so far and realized that I don't have a single one of them. Well, except for the vinyl version of that live Talking Heads album, but I haven't played it in years. Just not much on there that interests me this year. Oh well, I do seem to have a few that are marked with a star as being highly rated, but just none of the ones that almost everyone loves. Guess you can't be too quirky and still get everyone to like you :)

Slosh
10-13-2004, 02:03 PM
OK, guess that's long enough. I have been kind of squeaky lately, but only in comparison to free spenders like you and Sloshy who can't seem to go a week without a handful of new CDs. Have you ever considered the thought that you may have a problem?

Hey, it's only money. I'll make more next week :)

NP: Deftones - Adrenaline

tentoze
10-13-2004, 02:55 PM

Yeh, it is a problem- I think it's either an attention span issue, or these damned Internets...........

:p