Joan Armatrading [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Joan Armatrading

JDaniel
10-10-2004, 04:37 AM
A few weeks back in an email, I mentioned to a friend of mine that one of my favorite female artists is Joan Armatrading.

So I go out on my front porch this morning, and there sits a UPS package, with 14 absolutely pristine Joan Armatrading lps (vinyl, covers, liners). Fourteen!! I'm stunned. And I can't wait to start spinning them on this rainy Sunday.

LPs included:

Whatever's For Us (1972 - her 1st album)

Back To The Night (1975)

S/T (1976)

Show Some Emotion (1977)

To The Limit (1978)

How Cruel (1979)

Me, Myself, I (1980)

Walk Under Ladders (1981)

The Key (1983)

Track Record (1983)

Secrets Secrets (1985)

Kind Words (and a real good heart) Extended Mix (1986)

Sleight of Hand (1986)

The Shouting Stage (1988)

Looks like my listening has been arranged for the next several days.

JD

tentoze
10-10-2004, 04:48 AM
Quite the boxfull, there, JD. I've never seen How Cruel, but I have all the others, all-time favorites of mine. As long as the somewhat heavy-handed mid-80's synth doesn't put you off, try Secret Secrets st elevated volume- one of the better sounding pieces of vinyl I have, IMO. The Shouting Stage is no slouch, either- Mark Knopfler's guitar work is outstanding throughout that record.

Finch Platte
10-10-2004, 06:40 AM
I used to be a big fan, but her newer stuff doesn't ring my bell as much.

She has a new live disc out, and I keep eyeing it every time I go into Tower. There's a few older songs on there I wouldn't mind hearing live.

I have/had a live video of hers, too, but her stage "act" is just too contrived. Like someone told her she was boring, so she needed to jump around.

Sounds like you're gonna have a good time today. I'd drink dark beer, if I were you ;0)

Hope a comp will be coming soon?

fp

BarryL
10-10-2004, 07:13 AM
A few weeks back in an email, I mentioned to a friend of mine that one of my favorite female artists is Joan Armatrading.

So I go out on my front porch this morning, and there sits a UPS package, with 14 absolutely pristine Joan Armatrading lps (vinyl, covers, liners). Fourteen!! I'm stunned. And I can't wait to start spinning them on this rainy Sunday.

JD

I have some Armatrading vinyl and about four CDs. I need to do more listening and pick up the missing pieces. She's a real artist in my opinion, who marches to her own (off-tempo) beat and creates wonderful, emotional, and creative music.

For those who don't know her, they should do themselves a favour and pick up a greatest hits CD.

JDaniel
10-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Hope a comp will be coming soon?

fp
Yes, if Santa brings me a new computer by Christmas. I recently transferred my 1st vinyl to my HDD (Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms). It turned out pretty good. I figured out the method/levels etc. But I quickly determined my 5 year old computer (what is that 75 in dog years?) isn't up to the task. So when the new PC arrives, maybe.

I do have a stand alone DVD recorder. Maybe I should hook up my TT to that?? :confused:

JD

np "Whatever's For Us" (circa 1972)

Finch Platte
10-10-2004, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=JDaniel]
I do have a stand alone DVD recorder. Maybe I should hook up my TT to that?? :confused:

I never thought about doing that with mine. I'll bet the TT's outputs aren't loud enough for the CD inputs- maybe I'm wrong.

Heh heh 75 years in dog years. :D

fp

Slosh
10-10-2004, 08:08 AM

I think not. It'll record it as AC3 two channel and will sound like a "good" MP3 at best. Plus you'd still have to transfer it over to CDR via analog unless you have a DVD drive and a soundcard that can convert AC3 to 44.1kHz .wav.

NP: Old Canes - Early Morning Hymns

JDaniel
10-10-2004, 08:18 AM
I never thought about doing that with mine. I'll bet the TT's outputs aren't loud enough for the CD inputs- maybe I'm wrong.

fp
I meant routed through my Receiver's Line Out to the Audio in on the DVD Recorder. But Slosh is probably right on the AC3 thing. Although I do have a DVD burner/cd player on my computer at work. I was planning on trying an LP to DVD-RW anyway, then separating the tracks and cleaning it up on my PC anyway.

If it's like most of my ideas, it will never get tried anyway.

JD

Finch Platte
10-10-2004, 08:19 AM
I think not. It'll record it as AC3 two channel and will sound like a "good" MP3 at best. Plus you'd still have to transfer it over to CDR via analog unless you have a DVD drive and a soundcard that can convert AC3 to 44.1kHz .wav.

NP: Old Canes - Early Morning Hymns

Are you sure?

fp

Slosh
10-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Are you sure?

fp

resolutely, ya waddlesome sloth :D

Troy
10-10-2004, 09:04 PM

LPs included:

Whatever's For Us (1972 - her 1st album)

Back To The Night (1975)

S/T (1976)

Show Some Emotion (1977)

To The Limit (1978)

How Cruel (1979)

Me, Myself, I (1980)

Walk Under Ladders (1981)

The Key (1983)

Track Record (1983)

Secrets Secrets (1985)

Kind Words (and a real good heart) Extended Mix (1986)

Sleight of Hand (1986)

The Shouting Stage (1988)

Looks like my listening has been arranged for the next several days.

JD

I like "The Key", Walk Under Ladders" and "Secret Secrets" a whole lot. That early 80s period rocked.

Thought she was a bit too folky/acoustic for my taste before that and it seems like her teeth were pulled after.

Mike
10-11-2004, 12:23 AM
It looks like you got a good haul there Jeff, I’ve been a fan of Joan Armatrading for as long as I can remember and had most of her albums at some time or other, but never seen her live which is a shame.

For me I prefer her earlier more acoustic works like the second album or Show Some Emotion or To The Limit, which sound timeless. I never really thought her style suited some of the 80’s stuff like The Key or Walk Under Ladders which I think she did with Steve Lillywhite as producer and now sounds pretty dated, although Me Myself I was very good. She came good again with The Shouting Stage and Square The Circle in the early 90’s and her recent one in 2003 got rave reviews maybe I should seek that one out.

Incidentally if anybody is interested she has a pretty good double CD 43 track comp out called Love and Affection Classics 75-83 which I can recommend. It features all but one track of Me Myself I in pretty good 24 bit remaster format.

Cheers
Mike

ps Jeff check your e-mail I just sent you one, hope I had the right address

Finch Platte
10-11-2004, 03:28 AM
I've got a load of bulloc- err, CDs almost ready to send you. Could you please send along your address and your last name?

Thanks,

fp
swagkingathotmaildotcom