Monster surge protector line conditioner [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Monster surge protector line conditioner

dady24
10-09-2004, 09:12 AM
I am wondering if there is a need for a line conditioner? Is there a noticable difference? Also what model/brand is good for the money? here is my list of stuff
Yamaha 5790 reciever
Samsung hd-841dvd
KLF-20's front bi-wired
KV-2 center
SB-15 front presence
SF-3's rear surround
RS-35's 6.1+7.1
RW-12 Sub front
KG-SW sub rear
Hitachi 50v500 hdtv
I currently have a basic surge protector. I have spoken to a local hi-end audio store and they said that I should have at least some sort of line conditioner. They sell Monster there but I can get what they sell a hell of alot cheaper on ebay.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks in advance Denver

Dale M
10-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi. Im not here to say yes or no on the conditioner but I have a buddie who works at future shop and he let me borrow one of these Monster line condioners and I brought it home and plugged everything into it and tryed out the TV and I noticed ZERO difference in picture quality . So I think for me its would be a total waste off $200. Maybe if the right/wrong conditions were present it would help, but for me it didnt. Surge proctectors I dont know how much they help or not, I use a cheapy $20 one, more for the multiple plugs then anything else,, So thats my 2 cents worth
Dale M

woodman
10-09-2004, 02:44 PM
I am wondering if there is a need for a line conditioner? Is there a noticable difference? Also what model/brand is good for the money?

I currently have a basic surge protector. I have spoken to a local hi-end audio store and they said that I should have at least some sort of line conditioner. They sell Monster there but I can get what they sell a hell of alot cheaper on ebay.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks in advance Denver

Contrary to what the people at the "high-end" audio store are telling you (in other words, wanting you to believe so that they can make some extraordinary profit by selling you one), a line conditioner is not needed by about 99 44/100% of consumers ... period ... end of story. Furthermore, the very idea that a "line conditioner" is gonna improve audio and/or video performance is a bit of shameful marketing hype - "snake-oil" - voodoo - BS.

However, a good surge protector is something that should be in just about everyone's system ... especially if you live where thunderstorms are plentiful, or where the electric utility provides power that often comes with "spikes", "surges" and such along with the 110volts of A-C that we want and need to run our stuff. When I say a "good" surge protector, I'm talking about something from one of the respected companies in the field like Panamax or TrippLite that come complete with insurance to cover the cost of replacing your equipment should their "protector" fail to protect you. These run usually in the range of $40-$75 and are well worth every penny. Steer clear of any $15 surge protector that you find in a hardware store ... they're more often than not a worthless waste of your money.

Hope this helps you

cam
10-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Contrary to what the people at the "high-end" audio store are telling you (in other words, wanting you to believe so that they can make some extraordinary profit by selling you one), a line conditioner is not needed by about 99 44/100% of consumers ... period ... end of story. Furthermore, the very idea that a "line conditioner" is gonna improve audio and/or video performance is a bit of shameful marketing hype - "snake-oil" - voodoo - BS.

However, a good surge protector is something that should be in just about everyone's system ... especially if you live where thunderstorms are plentiful, or where the electric utility provides power that often comes with "spikes", "surges" and such along with the 110volts of A-C that we want and need to run our stuff. When I say a "good" surge protector, I'm talking about something from one of the respected companies in the field like Panamax or TrippLite that come complete with insurance to cover the cost of replacing your equipment should their "protector" fail to protect you. These run usually in the range of $40-$75 and are well worth every penny. Steer clear of any $15 surge protector that you find in a hardware store ... they're more often than not a worthless waste of your money.

Hope this helps you
Hey Mr. Woodman, with surge protectors, how many joules (I think thats the word) of protection should we be aiming for as a minimum.

eisforelectronic
10-09-2004, 05:18 PM

Hope this helps you

True, most consumers do not need a line conditioner. However the theory behind it is sound. Really a ups would be more effective.

Surge protectors are a nice thing to have as well as whatever insurance they guarantee, however most power companies also provide insurance for any damage occuring from surges, spikes, brownouts...etc.

ckturtle
10-11-2004, 12:41 AM
I have "Quantam ElectroClears" plugged into outlets that my refrigerator, computer, and audio system utilize. It clears up various noises within the apartment's A/C lines. An visual example of an A/C noise would be when you're watching television and someone turns on a vacuum cleaner somewhere in the house. The vacuum cleaner then generates an A/C noise and as a result the TV became a little scrambled. We've all seen this before. The various A/C noises throughout the house will also affect our audio system in a similar manner.

I was pleasntly surprised how much my system, both audio and visual, had improved by cleaning up the A/C noises. So, before completely writting off the values of proper line conditioning, you should owe yourself a try.

I previously used a Monster HT1000 conditioner in years past, but found that it had restricted the music's dynamics. I suggest using a powerstrip, such as the PS Audio Juice Bar, or similar, which utilizes no filters and it will provide you with better sound. Especially when comparing to the typical surge protector. The Juice Bar will minimize any sonic degradation. The second step will then be to clean up your A/C lines throughout the house using a product such as Quantam ElectroClears. Of course, there are other quality products available that do the same thing, and do both.

Again, no one should ever knock the value of proper line conditioning before having had tried it themselves. If you're truly serious about obtaining the highest level of sonics from your system, then you will need to give your home's electricity a little more look into.

Chris