Magnepan MMG or MMGW [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan MMG or MMGW

Alang71
10-08-2004, 08:12 PM
I am interested in either of these two speakers. I would like to either purchase the MMG and then later buy the MMGW for rear or just purchase 4 MMGWs.

Also what kind of receiver do I need for these. Will they work with a $300 receiver. I was thinking about Yamaha.

Alan

Lord_Magnepan
10-10-2004, 05:29 AM
The small MMGs do not require much power. Just make sure you get one that has very stable current.

PS: Give them at least 150hrs of break in time ;-) Best "real" sound you will hear regardless of price up to 1K.

Alang71
10-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Lets say that I have $600 to spend on speakers. Whould you buy two sets of the small MMG's or one set of the larger MMG's for $550. (I know I'll still need a sub)

I have a set of infinity bookshelf speakers that I could use for rear. I'd say that I will use the setup for 50percent music and 50percent HT.

Also, do you know if the larger MMG's would work with a Onyko 501?

Lord_Magnepan
10-11-2004, 01:16 AM
I would buy the MMGs(bigger) or the MG12. Use the subwoofer (there is no sub to 100% match Maggies) only for movies. Maggies love current !! The will do plenty of slam and bass, if you give them current. :D The Onkyo 501 is good enough for them. But only good enough, Maggies no matter which modell can tell the difference between electronics. they get better as you upgrade your electronics.

Cheers