Newbie question re: A/V receivers, recording ... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question re: A/V receivers, recording ...

wmelton
10-08-2004, 08:40 AM
I am contemplating buying a HDTV (Sony KV-34HS420) and an A/V Receiver (unknown model). I will be using a Comcast HD Cable box as the SD and HDTV source. I also wish to continue using my Tivo Series 2 box to record the non-HDTV content.
I need advice on the best method and most cost effective set of equipment to accomplish this.

Can the Comcast HDTV Cable Box (specific model not known as of yet) simultaneously output Component and Composite signals? If so, I could connect the Tivo to the composite output of the box and record as usual, correct?

Does the Component signal from the Cable box to the A/V receiver automatically get routed to the VCR Composite or S-Video outputs on the receiver as well? If so, no dilemma correct?

Anyone able to suggest an A/V receiver with Zone 2 capabilities that include composite or S-Video for under $600? The Denon 985S is an option but a bit pricy for me. I believe this would also resolve my issue.

The last option (that I know of) is to rent a separate SD cable box and give Tivo the run of the house on that.

Any comments, corrections, advice and/or enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

alumpkin
10-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Can the Comcast HDTV Cable Box (specific model not known as of yet) simultaneously output Component and Composite signals? If so, I could connect the Tivo to the composite output of the box and record as usual, correct?

I know my Timewarner HDTV cable box can output on all output ports (S-Video, composite, and component) at the same time. Now keep in mind that when I switch inputs from S-Video to component when I switch to a HD channel, I have no problem immediately getting a signal. However, I do not know while I am watching the component output if the composite is still outputting. I would imagine it is outputting on both and that your box could too. It would be an easy thing to test. Just hook up and watch the cable box through the composite on your existing tv and try to record using component through the cable box. From reading your post, it appears you do not have the box yet, but I am sure you could get them to let you try it out.

Does the Component signal from the Cable box to the A/V receiver automatically get routed to the VCR Composite or S-Video outputs on the receiver as well? If so, no dilemma correct?

You need to check the specs of the receiver you get. A decent amount have video switching that you could use in this case, but there might be some issues going from component to composite or S-Video. My receiver upconverts composite and S-Video to component, but I am not aware of the reverse situation. I would assume if you inputted component, you would have to output component.

Anyone able to suggest an A/V receiver with Zone 2 capabilities that include composite or S-Video for under $600? The Denon 985S is an option but a bit pricy for me. I believe this would also resolve my issue.

Sorry, don't know much about Denon... but there are a lot of people on here that do, so hopefully you will hear from some of them.

The last option (that I know of) is to rent a separate SD cable box and give Tivo the run of the house on that.

This is an option, but I would guess that they will charge you more per month to use theirs. Not a bad option, but if you got your Tivo to work, you could save some money and maybe put it in the receiver.