Von Schweikert VR-4jr. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Von Schweikert VR-4jr.

Geoffcin
10-07-2004, 05:06 PM
The upgrade bug biting again. I'm looking to work up another HT/DVD-A/SACD rig, and I thought I might start with the speakers. For those who don't already know, I have a full up Cambridge Soundworks 7.1 system now, and It's absolutely great for HT, but I want a little more out of my rig for multichannel music. I have considered a full up Magnepan system, but even with my semi-large 22' X 16' room that would be a bit much. I am looking at one speaker in particular, Von Schweikert VR-4jr. The problem is I've never actually heard it yet! Does anyone have experience with this speaker?

topspeed
10-07-2004, 05:41 PM
The upgrade bug biting again. I'm looking to work up another HT/DVD-A/SACD rig, and I thought I might start with the speakers. For those who don't already know, I have a full up Cambridge Soundworks 7.1 system now, and It's absolutely great for HT, but I want a little more out of my rig for multichannel music. I have considered a full up Magnepan system, but even with my semi-large 22' X 16' room that would be a bit much. I am looking at one speaker in particular, Von Schweikert VR-4jr. The problem is I've never actually heard it yet! Does anyone have experience with this speaker?

I did an extensive audition on a pair with about 50 hours on them at Von Schweikert's shop in San Diego about 3 months ago. The front end was a Spectron amp, Sony transport, Electrocompaniet DAC, PS Audio conditioner and VSA's own wires (which look like black Valhalla's). The speakers were well out in the room and stood in the shadow of the monster VR11's.

Wow!

Geoff, these are impressive speakers. The most startling thing is how dynamic they are for such a small speaker. I don't know how Albert is coaxing that much low freq. response out of such a tiny cabinet, but it was enough to make me ask Kevin if there was a sub on. The sound is supremely smooth and neutral. There aren't any weird mid bass humps or exagerrated highs that some audiophiles confuse with detail. The tweeter wasn't completely settled in, a fact that Kevin warned me about before we started the audition. However, considering that it has the same tweeter as the one in my VR-1's, I know from experience how good this tweeter sounds once it is burned in; extended, airy, and natural without a hint of sibilance or shimmer. In fact, the top module seems to be, for intesive purposes, a canted back VR-1. One thing the Jr's have in common with your Maggies is that seemless cohesiveness in sound. There are no gaps or dips from driver integration problems, just one huge wall of sound. The imaging is very impressive and off axis response is simply stunning. They have a better off-axis than any other speaker I've heard.

All in all, if I ever decide to upgrade (which is doubtful), I'd be looking straight at the Jr's. It seems like street price is around $3k for a new pair and African Hazelwood and Maple are the two most popular finishes. Your wife will love how small and gorgeous they are in person. The construction is exceptional from the cabinet stiffness to the chamfered edges to the Cardas Rhodium binding posts. There's a lot of threads about these speakers on both avsforum and audioasylum if you'd like to do a bit more research.

Bottom line, they are definitely worth a demo.

Good luck brother and have fun!

btw, they love to rock!

Geoffcin
10-08-2004, 02:53 PM
I did an extensive audition on a pair with about 50 hours on them at Von Schweikert's shop in San Diego about 3 months ago.

All in all, if I ever decide to upgrade (which is doubtful), I'd be looking straight at the Jr's. It seems like street price is around $3k for a new pair and African Hazelwood and Maple are the two most popular finishes. Your wife will love how small and gorgeous they are in person. The construction is exceptional from the cabinet stiffness to the chamfered edges to the Cardas Rhodium binding posts. There's a lot of threads about these speakers on both avsforum and audioasylum if you'd like to do a bit more research.

Bottom line, they are definitely worth a demo.

Good luck brother and have fun!

btw, they love to rock!\

I am trying to find a pair to listen to, but so far no luck. There's a pair in the box on Ebay right now, and if they are not too high I might jump first, and worry if I like them later...

topspeed
10-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Audiopimp, right? Yeah, I saw that too. See if you can get the serial numbers and call Albert or Kevin at VSA to get the skinny. You know the 'ol adage; If it sounds too good to be true...

They sold a pair with no reserve a week or so ago although I didn't see the final price. Something's not adding up for me with that seller, although they seem to have good feedback. Ebay makes me nervous as all get-out anyway so maybe it's my own nervosa.

Geoffcin
10-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Audiopimp, right? Yeah, I saw that too. See if you can get the serial numbers and call Albert or Kevin at VSA to get the skinny. You know the 'ol adage; If it sounds too good to be true...

They sold a pair with no reserve a week or so ago although I didn't see the final price. Something's not adding up for me with that seller, although they seem to have good feedback. Ebay makes me nervous as all get-out anyway so maybe it's my own nervosa.

Planned to go up and pick it up in person. As it is the speakers didn't go for much less than they would have gone for on Audiogon. Got another speaker I'm going to go check out this week;

http://www.roundsound.com/ref3_big_II.html

topspeed
10-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Planned to go up and pick it up in person. As it is the speakers didn't go for much less than they would have gone for on Audiogon. Got another speaker I'm going to go check out this week;

http://www.roundsound.com/ref3_big_II.html
That is exactly what I was going to recommend, too. I heard a pair while on vacation a few weeks ago and was mighty impressed. The imaging didn't seem as pinpoint as the TAS reviewer described but it is good nonetheless. It was driven by Theta so I doubt it was the front end. I was surprised how small these things are. Seriously, they're tiny! Big, big sound though, especially with the plate amp running. Let me know what you think.

ts

Geoffcin
10-11-2004, 06:24 PM
That is exactly what I was going to recommend, too. I heard a pair while on vacation a few weeks ago and was mighty impressed. The imaging didn't seem as pinpoint as the TAS reviewer described but it is good nonetheless. It was driven by Theta so I doubt it was the front end. I was surprised how small these things are. Seriously, they're tiny! Big, big sound though, especially with the plate amp running. Let me know what you think.

ts

The Gallos I'm going to hear are being driven by an HCA-2!

topspeed
10-15-2004, 08:50 AM
You might find this thread (http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1095811848&openfrom&1&4#1) interesting in your quest for sonic nirvana:

Geoffcin
10-15-2004, 01:16 PM
You might find this thread (http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1095811848&openfrom&1&4#1) interesting in your quest for sonic nirvana:

Just when I thought I had enough to bolt on the supercharger I've had to go get bitten by these speakers! I'm off to audition them tomorrow, wish me luck.

topspeed
10-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Just when I thought I had enough to bolt on the supercharger I've had to go get bitten by these speakers! I'm off to audition them tomorrow, wish me luck.
Let us know what you think.

Good luck and have fun!