Help HK preamp outputs... not working? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help HK preamp outputs... not working?

requiem
10-07-2004, 11:30 AM
I connected a RCA cable from the subwoofer preamp output (Harman Kardon AVR230) to an external amplifier and there is no sound. Actually there is no sound form ANY preamplified output.
This happens only with the pre-amplified outputs, all the other outputs work fine. What am I doing wrong?
is there some kind of seting I have to turn on in the receiver?
Or is it that the pre amp outputs are just not working

Please help HK users

Dale M
10-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi.. Is your sub turned on in the speaker section of the receiver? you may have it set for No sub,, why are you going to an external amp? is your sub not a powered sub?
Dale M

requiem
10-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Yes subwoofer is turned on in the receiver, and yes is a not powered sub...

I think i found the problem... a adjusted the sub channel to +10 dB on the receiver and set the amp's gain to maximum and finally there was a weak signal, with an unaccepatable level of noise... but there was something

This is really strange since any other output form receiver (tape vid1 vid2 etc) or directly from the dvd player sounds just fine.

Are HK preamp outputs so weak? do i need some kind of special impedance cable?

thanx for your help

Dale M
10-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi, I have only tryed a powered Sub and used the sub out on the receiver and it worked fine,, So I cant offer any real help here, as far as using a special cable goes, Hmmm I doubt it, hopefully someone on here will give the answer to your problem. Mark W, Woochifer and Woodman as well as alot of others will be able to give some help Im sure.
Dale M

This Guy
10-09-2004, 12:00 PM
i had the same problem when I used to have a powered sub. I had an old rca cable, that would give but the slightest signal to the sub. I tried a new cable and it worked fine. Otherwise I can;t help you man.

xxticy007
10-09-2004, 04:00 PM
I have a new Onky system that has a powered sub and I am having the same problem. I get the sub to work when I am listening ot FM or a CD but when I try to watch a DVD I am getting VERY little output if any at all from the sub. I also tried running the THX sound test on one of my DVDs and didn't get a response from the sub. All settings have been turned on with the DVD player and receiver so it isn't that. I am starting ot wonder if it is a cable issue or I am just totally overlooking something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.