Need recommendation for $200 DVD-A/SACD universal player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for $200 DVD-A/SACD universal player

kexodusc
10-07-2004, 10:48 AM
I had the Pioneer 563a for a few weeks, was somewhat impressed, but the bass management was limited, and I used it with my old receiver. Not sure if the RX-V1400 would help me in that area...
I'm looking for something modest here...I've seen Toshiba's SD4960 a few places, it looks competent enough. I believe the Pioneer has been replaced by a 578a that's supposedly better (and even cheaper)...

Gimme some options folks, trying to keep around $200 or thereabouts, there must be something half decent out there. Any suggestions?

Ryanm
10-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Well kex i would suggest taking a look at this page, not sure what exactly you're looking for but here are a few options:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kcvBvNSMTW8/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=6&g=54700&s=0&cc=01&search=
Me personally my plans are for a Panasonic DVD-F87K, but i'm not really looking for SACD playback.

bargainseeker
10-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Gimme some options folks, trying to keep around $200 or thereabouts, there must be something half decent out there. Any suggestions?
The posts in this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=7279) may be helpful for you.

Geoffcin
10-07-2004, 04:43 PM
I had the Pioneer 563a for a few weeks, was somewhat impressed, but the bass management was limited, and I used it with my old receiver. Not sure if the RX-V1400 would help me in that area...
I'm looking for something modest here...I've seen Toshiba's SD4960 a few places, it looks competent enough. I believe the Pioneer has been replaced by a 578a that's supposedly better (and even cheaper)...

To better the Pioneer for less than $200. There's a lot of lateral moves you can make, and certainly there may be a model with better bass management, but I think you'll have to go up to the $300 range to get noticeably better sound.

JeffKnob
10-08-2004, 04:00 AM
To better the Pioneer for less than $200. There's a lot of lateral moves you can make, and certainly there may be a model with better bass management, but I think you'll have to go up to the $300 range to get noticeably better sound.

Do you have any recommendations of any universal players in the $300 range? I have found that there are some inexpensive models around $150 and under and other models around $400-$500. I have been trying to find a model in the $300 range but nobody seems to know of any.

kexodusc
10-08-2004, 04:09 AM
I'm somewhat hesitant to increase my budget again unless I can see noticeable benefit. Last year I had the Pioneer Elite 45a, a Denon something or other, and the 563a...other than lacking a few features and a tough, thick case it was every bit as competent as the $400-$600 players I demoed and sounded every bit as good. This made me sick at the industry.
I held off on purchasing because I figured the market was in a correction. Players have dropped, the successor to the 563a is cheaper still. I'm sure there's some others out there....That Toshiba looks pretty decent, can't find any reviews on it though and don't know anyone who's owned it.
Might just go ahead with a 563a or 578a or whatever it is now...in 2-channel stereo on my speakers, bass management isn't such a big deal. It'll work for multi channel audio too.