help with B&W nautilus 802 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help with B&W nautilus 802

jimmytrd
12-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Hello! i need help setting up my equipment. I currently use B&W nautilus 802s for my main speakers. i power them with a Musical fidelity CD-Pre 24 preamp alongside 4 musical fidelity m250 mono blocks. I am currently in the "bi-amp" setup.

Is there any way i can get better sound with what i have? not that it sounds bad with the current setup, i just want to know if there is a better setup with the components i have that i can get a better sound than what i get right now?

please help. thanks

bturk667
12-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Hello! i need help setting up my equipment. I currently use B&W nautilus 802s for my main speakers. i power them with a Musical fidelity CD-Pre 24 preamp alongside 4 musical fidelity m250 mono blocks. I am currently in the "bi-amp" setup.

Is there any way i can get better sound with what i have? not that it sounds bad with the current setup, i just want to know if there is a better setup with the components i have that i can get a better sound than what i get right now?

please help. thanks
How does it sound when you don't bi-amp?
I am not a big fan of Musical Fidelity's solid state equipment. I like their tube equipment much better. Unless your willing to change to some different components, I don't see to many options.

What I think your system needs is the warmth and depth of a tube pre-amp. Again, that would require going with different compnents.

If components are out of the question, I'd have to say then you should play around with different interconnects. Try the Kimber Kable Hero interconnect. I think it would add some warmth and bring a little more depth in the bass department.

markw
12-10-2003, 04:16 PM
"Better" is quite an ambigious term. You can most certainly affect changes, but "better" is up in the air. Of course, some see any change as "better", so...

Try playing around with speaker positioning and/or adding/removing some room dampening items (rug, comfy chair, etc...). Change your listening position. Add a mirror or two to the walls. Take a picture or two off the walls. Open all doors. Close all doors.

Of course, without any idea of where you're heading, you'll certainly get there eventually.

Be careful when investing in cables and interconnects. This is the least cost effective method of affecting sonic changes. Some might say it's a waste of money.

_Luke1_
12-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Markw beat me to it. Try tweaking speaker placement and adjusting the acoustics of the room. That should yield the greatest results and in the case of room acoustics, will pay dividends not just for your current system but for others placed in the same spot.