Dream Theater: Live at Budokan -- finally got to sit and watch [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater: Live at Budokan -- finally got to sit and watch

MasterCylinder
10-07-2004, 05:12 AM
This DVD is better than the previous releases of Dream Theater material.........can be played in straight stereo or 5.1 Dolby.........both sound very good.

This tour set from Japan is quite similar to the set I saw in New Mexico just last month........some of the material is different but the stage and equipment are identical:
same pivoting keyboard with music-chart teleprompter
same exact drum set-up
same exact custom foot rests for Petrucci (for the "fast" solos he prefers to rest the guitar on his left knee)
same metal cup of "something to drink" for LaBrie (in addition to the bottled water)

HIGHLIGHTS:
"Endless Sacrifice"......................catchy tune -- very well done
"Instrumentality"..........................a medley of instrumental segments compiled from many of their recordings, including Liquid Tension Experiment (no LaBrie here)
"Stream of Conciousness"............amazing piece......was THE HIT at new Mexico too
"Disappear".................................simply beautifully done -- ends the set
"In the Name of God"....................encore -- excellent

My DVD player reported the elapsed time of this concert at 2 hours and 47 minutes.
Disc #2 is bonus material and I will get to that stuff this weekend.

Bottom line..................................Very highly recommended.

ForeverAutumn
10-07-2004, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the review MC. I'll have to pick this one up.