About "DYNAUDIO AUDIENCE 82" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : About "DYNAUDIO AUDIENCE 82"

sirkaien
10-06-2004, 06:25 PM
I've heard lots of good things about these speakers.
So I would go to listen to those in a couple days.
But I heard also these needed lots power.
What amp or receiver do you guys thingk can drive those well?
oh...one more what is the street price for these?

Thanks.

RGA
10-06-2004, 08:42 PM
They go for about the same price as the B&W 703 ~$4200.00Cdn. It might be the only sub $5000.00Cdn $4000.00US Three way design or floorstander(PMC perhaps too) that I would consider purchasing.You should get a stable to 3 ohm amplifier with significant power - a Bryston or Bryston calibur amplifier.
The whole Audience line is fantastic. I like it better than the contour series for dollar for sonics value.

sirkaien
10-07-2004, 04:23 AM
This site says that its MSRP is $ 2399.00.
Those might be sold at higher price in Canada.
Seperates are the only way to feed power to those?
It sounds more money to me... ioi

RGA
10-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Yes i converted the GBP price which often includes the 17% VAT tax.

SO $2400 is about $3000.00Cdn. It's easily better than the B&W 703 or Paradigm Studio 100V3 - both in the US may be more expensive. Dynaudio requires high power and quality low impedence amplification. If you were in Victoria BC I would suggest my speakers because they have a couple left at a veritable steal. But Dynaudio is good and easy to find.

Hyfi
10-08-2004, 06:08 AM
I was originally using an old Hafler 9180 with decent results. I upgraded to an Odyssey Stratos with great results. They are a 4 ohm speaker so most amps almost double the wpc when switching from an 8ohm to a 4 ohm speaker. Having a decent size room also helps as well as getting them off the floor. I am using the spikes on top of 1" thick granite/flagstone slabs. Bass detail and control was boosted and quite noticeable.

They also have a silk dome tweeter which I prefer ofer the metal domes. Price for price they were better sounding and less likely to create listener fatigue than the comparable B&Ws.

psonic
10-08-2004, 12:18 PM
I used to own the NAD 304 35wpc, a few generations older than the c320bee, but a very good little amp. Drove my Dynaudio Audience 60s without breaking a sweat until I got more powerful separates. The only difference between that and my 120wpc amp is dynamics and bass output, and overall ability to play very very loud. Just make sure the amp is at least IMO, 50wpc and 4ohm stable. Creek, Arcam, Musical Fidelity, Jolida, Antique Sound, Sugden, Classe, Conrad Johnson, Audio Refinement, Parasound, ATI, Adcom, Rotel, Bryston and NAD are some good names. Point is you do not need 150wpc of Bryston to get good sound out of the Dyns; though they may sound their best with somthing like that. Enjoy the 82s, it's a nice speaker.

NickWH
10-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Excellent speakers. But if you are going to spend the money on the speakers, make sure you match it with the right electronics. I recommend you try to audition Plinius or Simaudio gear for use with these speakers.

S. Jensen
10-17-2004, 03:00 PM
I have got the Dynaudio Audience 82 and I simply love that speaker! Before purchassing the speakers I consulted a lot of different people and - among others - this site. If you are interested in seeing the help I got concerning my purchase, look at this post:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3898&highlight=Dynaudio

I use Harman Kardon AVR5500 (US model AVR520) to drive them. As I wrote earlier: They sound very good, but in the future I will very likely get a more powerful amp to drive them. My local dealer is keen on lending me some different amps to let me experience more of the speakers' potential. But so far I am happy :p

This weekend I attended a HiFi show and I got to talk to the Scandinavian distributor of Dynaudio. Like NickWH he recommended (among others) a Plinius amp for the Dynaudio Audience 82 - so that might be something to look into in the future. Unfortunately they are a bit pricy in Denmark.

I wish you the best of luck with your purchase!

Best regards

S. Jensen

bappy
01-08-2005, 02:02 AM
I've heard lots of good things about these speakers.
So I would go to listen to those in a couple days.
But I heard also these needed lots power.
What amp or receiver do you guys thingk can drive those well?
oh...one more what is the street price for these?

Thanks.

I really don’t know whether I will be any help, let me just give you my real experience with Dynaudio Audience 70 speaker.

I bought these pair of speaker three months a go and my speaker dealer offered me denon 3802 AVR to run them and quite frankly I was very much illiterate about sound at that moment. I have used the setup for three or four days and all I can hear is loudness. Got tired of and went to look for a good amp. As because I knew at that time dyna is a very good speaker with good set up. But I had no idea at time how good it need are. One of Amp. Dealer suggested nad 372 integrated, so I gone for that and after switching the amp. With nad 372 I can feel the change right a way. Th sound got more tight and loudness almost gone.

After using that set up with Rotel HDCD player, I feel that something is needed. I talk to Amp. Dealer and he said it needs more power to open up. Then he suggested a used adcom 555 II, which produce almost 350 wpc in 4 ohms.

I have added adcom 555 II with nad as pre-amp. And there it is the sound I got, that I never heard before. It is clear, detailed, thight base, you name it. Excellent performance, then said that’s what was missing from dyna.

The reason I explain all this is, dyna needs lots of power, otherwise it will make loudness, regardless, does not matter how good or how expensive is your amp. Is.

I started with denon which is 120WPC, then nad which is 150WPC and now Adcom which is 350WPC. And gradually I have seen improvement of sound and less distortion.

Now question is which amp. To buy, it is really the question of money, how much money you want to spent, with little money I suggest you go for Adcom 555 II, or go for Musical Fidelity A3 cr serious, or Plinus, but make sure you feed them good.

Good luck,
bappy
unquote.

Buzz Roll
01-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Here's an amp to try:
Audio by VanAlstine OmegaStarÂ*260EXH
Go to avahifi.com

I hear their products perform very well.