Dolby 5.1 vs DTS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dolby 5.1 vs DTS

Dale M
10-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi. I was reading on here a few weeks back on what people prefered, Dolby 5.1 or DTS.
My question is.. If the DVD is recorded in Dolby 5.1 are you stuck with that? I have an HK receiver and thought Id try and see what the DTS setting would be like. I tryed the dvd SWAT and I cant get the receiver to go to DTS surround mode with that video, changing the settings on the player from bitstream to pcm didnt allow me to use the DTS mode either,, any answers??
Thanks
Dale M

hifimaster
10-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Not all DVD's with a Dolby Digital track have a dts track. Go to http://www.dtsonline.com/ to get a list of what DVD's do have one.

James

uncooked
10-06-2004, 05:50 PM
just look at the back of the dvd case. if it has a dts symbol beside the dolby. then its go it.

or if its got dts it usually has a audio set up feature on the main screen, or maybe under "languages"

Dale M
10-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks Guys :)

hifimaster
10-07-2004, 04:51 AM
[QUOTE=uncooked]just look at the back of the dvd case. if it has a dts symbol beside the dolby. then its go it. QUOTE]

That's not true. I have several discs with DD and dts synbols on the back, but have no dts track.

James

kexodusc
10-07-2004, 06:22 AM
That's not true. I have several discs with DD and dts synbols on the back, but have no dts track.

You're not the first person I've heard this from....could you give us a few examples of which DVD's have the label but no track on them? Thanks hifimaster!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-07-2004, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=uncooked]just look at the back of the dvd case. if it has a dts symbol beside the dolby. then its go it. QUOTE]

James

When I saw the title of this post, my eyes rolled back in my head(saw what color my brains are) my mouth got dry, I had to use the rest room, and I was short of breath. Thank God is wasn't what I thought it was. WHEW!!!!!!

Many times the jacket will reflect the formats that were released on film. For instance, one of my DVD says presented in Dolby spectral recording. Considering that Dolby SR is a theatrical format only, one should gather that the Dolby Digital tracks on the DVD are derived from the SR printmaster found on the film itself.

hifimaster
10-07-2004, 08:43 AM
I don't recall the titles right now. I'll look when I get home.

But, as Sir Terrence said, the covers sometimes reflect what was used in the theatrical release.

James