Ubelievable! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ubelievable!

alumpkin
10-06-2004, 07:50 AM
I watched Epsiode IV: A New Hope of the newly released DVD trilogy the other day and just cannot get over the part when Han shoots Greedo. I saw the Special Editions in the theatre and didn't remember it being that bad. Maybe I wasn't expecting it then and maybe I just didn't notice. But in the newly mastered trilogy, it totally looks like the laser is just not even going where Greedo's gun is pointed. Furthermore, the new addition of Han's "nod" looks very odd. I didn't mind too much some of his other changes, but this part was ridiculous. I liked it when either Han knew Greedo was going to shoot and he shot first, or Han was being ruthless and just shot Greedo.

What does everyone think? I would be most interested to hear from the people who liked or didn't mind this changed scene. Maybe there is something I have not considered.

ericl
10-06-2004, 01:20 PM
I think thats the most ridiculous of the edits, because the other edits can be contrued as cosmetic changes, or what have you, but this actually changed a character. Its freaking lame, in my opinion. As everyone says, yeah, they're georges' movies, he can do whatever he wants with them, but that doesn't change the fact that he's trashed them and is a total dork for doing it. I also really disliked the scene he added with han and jabba. pure garbage.

-eric

Dusty Chalk
10-06-2004, 05:55 PM
I think my opinion of this should be very well known by the readers of this board, but to reiterate: I concur -- it sucks.

It just doesn't make sense that Greedo would miss at such point-blank range. I mean, this isn't a showdown...hands-at-holsters..."Draw!"

PS What "nod"?

alumpkin
10-08-2004, 08:23 AM
PS What "nod"?

It wasn't in the special editions (I don't think), but it is in the new DVD trilogy. I thought Han nodded away from Greedo's shot, but he actually jerks his whole upper body to Greedo's left. They must have done it digitally because it looks pretty fake; Han doesn't really bend over when he jerks, his whole upper body just kind of shifts. Anyway, the jerk didn't really matter because Greedo's shot was still way off. You might not have noticed the jerk before, but I bet if you watch it in the new DVD releases, it will look weird to you too.

Dusty Chalk
10-09-2004, 11:05 AM
I bet they went back and digitally edited it so that his finger pulled the trigger, too (it didn't need to, before, when THERE WAS NO SHOT FIRED). So...you think this is trying to compensate for my criticism that he shouldn't have missed at such close range.

And they say he doesn't listen to his fans. You know, for someone who doesn't listen, he sure does take a lot to heart.

topspeed
10-10-2004, 10:36 PM
The added shot from Greedo was in the SE edition...and it sucked just as bad there too! This was one of Han's defining moment in my mind and one of the most memorable scenes from when I was a kid. Who doesn't remember Han stating "Yes, I'll bet you would?" and then blowing him away? Adding Greedo's shot ruins it! The last time I checked, Solo was a smuggler, not a freakin' boy scout (not that there's anything wrong with that ;))

Lord_Magnepan
10-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Now i think i know what you guys are talking about. The situation when luke and obi first meet Han in the bar. I always thought that was weird, cause he missed. How did they change that in the SE ? (sorry havent watched it yet) ?

alumpkin
10-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Now i think i know what you guys are talking about. The situation when luke and obi first meet Han in the bar. I always thought that was weird, cause he missed. How did they change that in the SE ? (sorry havent watched it yet) ?

In the theatrical release, Greedo never shoots; Han shoots Greedo before Greedo can get a shot off. In the SE in the theatre, Greedo shoots and misses at point blank range and Han shoots him a split second afterward. In the newly released DVD trilogy, Greedo not only shoots and misses, but Han jerks his upper body out of the way to "miss" Greedo's shot. I put quotations around "miss" because Greedo still misses him by a long shot.

I like Han shooting first because I think that is what a smuggler would do. Smugglers, such as Han (especially since he knows Jabba is out looking for him), would not be a nice guy and look out for himself by wasting Greedo. I have read that Lucas wanted Greedo to shoot first so it looked like Han was shooting back in self defense. I totally disagree and believe that it goes against Han's character. After all, Han shooting without Greedo shooting makes the other movies better because it shows how much Han has changed from his beginnings as a ruthless smuggler.

RGA
10-14-2004, 12:06 PM
I don't understand why Georgey Boy didn't give the customer the original version. Spielberg made number of changes to E.T. but at least he gave you BOTH the revised version and the original version so you can decide.

Adding Jabba takes out the mystery of the character which was talked up in the first films. Then the Han scene is to lighten up the character - but if he starts light and ends there this is not change. I don't get that.

And with the audio trouble - I'm glad I didn't buy this series on DVD. Besides I never really liked the Third entry which seemed to be more a of a shill to get people to buy Ewoks for their kids. Ford seemed dissinterested and the whole movie was mired in banality.

And Episode 1 was on my list for the worst 5 films of the year - a truly dysmal film which almost taints my view of the others. Still Episodes 4-6 is still better than the wordy overlong, unfunny, thin, simplistic Lord of the Rings Series.

Dusty Chalk
10-15-2004, 08:28 AM
I have read that Lucas wanted Greedo to shoot first so it looked like Han was shooting back in self defense.The funny thing is, it's still in self-defense, even if Han shoots first. The way the scene was playing out, Greedo was going to shoot first, it's just that Han beats him to the punch. Does anyone have any doubt?

Han: Over my dead body.
Greedo: That's the idea.

I mean, you don't have to be some sort of mystical mumbo-jumbo mind-reader.

So, not only do I disagree with the change in characterization, it was completely unnecessary. It doesn't change him from unethical to ethical, it changes him from shrewd to stupid/almost dead.

And I agree that he didn't need to move. It doesn't look so much like a 'dodge', as a 'flinch'.

Well, that, and it looks fake as sin.

GrendelZ
10-17-2004, 06:29 PM
What really pisses me off more than this is putting Hayden Christiansen's ghost at the end of Jedi.I knew it was coming the whole time I watched it but it still sucks.