Component Cables [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Component Cables

joel2762
12-10-2003, 01:00 PM
I know what component video is and all. But just for example, If I took three composite video cables and used them to connect the Component outs on my dvd player to the Component ins on my tv, would this work? Or does it have to have a real component cable? Would it just not be quite the best picture you could get from component or what? If nobody knows I think I might try this later on, to see what happnens.

Rockwell
12-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Yes, that would work fine.

joel2762
12-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Thanks, I'm going to try that then pick up a real component cable in a while.

markw
12-10-2003, 04:20 PM
What, exactly. do you consider a "real" component cable? How do you believe it differs from a "composite" cable or, for that matter a "coaxial digital" cable?

The real answer might surprise you.

Rockwell
12-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks, I'm going to try that then pick up a real component cable in a while.

The composite, component, and digital cables are the same thing. Just the label is different.

joel2762
12-11-2003, 02:58 AM
If I used a Compostite video cabel (Video, R/L Audio) To connect my component devices, the picture would be just as good or would there be slightly more quality in a real component cable?

markw
12-11-2003, 03:25 AM
As long as they meet these standards and are well constructed, it matters not what you call it. composite, component, coaxial digital, feddy or whatever.

An audio cable may not be the same as a video cable. It probably is, but it need not meet the same electrical chacteristics as the others mentioned in previous posts.

Somehow, I think you will be happier going out and buying the most expensive "component" cable you can find. Perhaps that is where your happiness lies.

Rockwell
12-11-2003, 11:37 AM
If I used a Compostite video cabel (Video, R/L Audio) To connect my component devices, the picture would be just as good or would there be slightly more quality in a real component cable?

The yellow video cable will work fine, but the red/white audio might not be up to spec for video; especially if you are talking about a freebie cable.

joel2762
12-11-2003, 12:23 PM
I currently have it set up this way. I know that the picture might not be as good, and like I mentioned earlier, this is only temporary. I am going to purchase a real Component cable soon. However, this setup Does work but I would prefer a real cable. While on this topic...Is there REALLY a noticable difference between Composite and Component? Or will this depend on the tv, etc? Thanks..

Rockwell
12-11-2003, 12:48 PM
I currently have it set up this way. I know that the picture might not be as good, and like I mentioned earlier, this is only temporary. I am going to purchase a real Component cable soon. However, this setup Does work but I would prefer a real cable. While on this topic...Is there REALLY a noticable difference between Composite and Component? Or will this depend on the tv, etc? Thanks..

If you have three of the yellow cables, just use that. No need to buy anything.

A TV with component inputs will be able to show a difference from composite since only high end TV have them.

joel2762
12-11-2003, 12:53 PM
So If I bought three high end composite video cables and used these to connect the component it'd be good? So that's all component cables are? Just three cables together? I think I will check the prices of single video cables instead.......and you say a high end composite video + audio won't be as good as using only video cables? Thanks for help

Rockwell
12-11-2003, 01:18 PM
So If I bought three high end composite video cables and used these to connect the component it'd be good? So that's all component cables are? Just three cables together? I think I will check the prices of single video cables instead.......and you say a high end composite video + audio won't be as good as using only video cables? Thanks for help

Yes, component cables are just three of the composite cables together. The composite cable is only the yellow video part. The red/white audio are tacked on for convenience. With the component cables, all three cary a portion of the video signal, which is why it is has a better quality picture. You will have to get separate cable for audio.

You can use the Yellow/Red/White composite combo cables in place of component, if all three are the same type of cable(75 ohm). But, with some of those composite/audio combos, the red/white audio cables are of lesser quality than the yellow cable and may degrade the signal.

joel2762
12-11-2003, 04:11 PM
Yep. I'm going to compare three composite cables or a real component cable. Thanks for all help. I really notice the quality difference.