mess behind the TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : mess behind the TV

tpcounty
10-06-2004, 05:33 AM
does everyone here have a mess of cables and wire behind their TV? Does anyone here try to organize or clean it up? What impact does having speaker wire and power cords in close proximity have? Does everyone use a surge protector? Do you plug your digital cable or sat tv coaxial line into the surge protector?

hershon
10-06-2004, 05:50 AM
I had to chuckle when I saw your post. It sounds just like me. I just got for my 48" HDYTV a new surge protector- Monster HT800 which retails for $79 in stores but you can get online new and sealed for $45 or so. Anyway, this surge protector advertises it does something called clean power to help the picture and sound but when the cable contractor (according to the cable company the guys who install HD boxes aren't employees- I asked because the guy barely spoke English) came he insisted not to connect the HD digital cables to those connectors you mention on the surge line because it means cables will be going through a "second generation" force. The cable people are going to come and install a HD DVR on Friday and if they change their tune on this I'll let you know. I don't think having a wire "helter skelter" affects the sound/picture as long as they're plugged in tight.
those
does everyone here have a mess of cables and wire behind their TV? Does anyone here try to organize or clean it up? What impact does having speaker wire and power cords in close proximity have? Does everyone use a surge protector? Do you plug your digital cable or sat tv coaxial line into the surge protector?

alumpkin
10-06-2004, 08:06 AM

I had a real mess with my last system. It was a HTIB and the wires running to the speakers were a lot longer than I needed (or anyone would need in my opinion, unless you live in a mansion). I had all the extra wire "hidden" behind my tv and components. With my new system, I thought ahead and tried to get rid of the mess. I did the following two things that, in the end, really cleaned up the clutter:

1. Custom speaker wire. I went to a local HT installation store and got them to make me some speaker wire that was a lot closer to what I needed. I haven't been sold yet on the really expensive speaker wire they sell, so I got a middle of the road kind and it turned out to be rather cheap... got some nice banana's on the ends and everything. I of course got slightly longer than needed just in case I move my speakers some or move in the future... just not as much slack as before by far.

2. Video switching. Because I hated switching the input on my tv and my receiver, I looked for a receiver that did video switching as well as audio. And when I bought my new system, I found the perfect solution for me, the Arcam AVR300. It really cleaned up the cables because I have all my components in a entertainment tower and all I have to run is one S-Video and one Component to my tv for all my video needs.

I have seen some posts on here about keeping your power cords away from your other cables... I'll see if I can find the post. That is the next thing I plan to do. We'll see if it sounds any better.

JDaniel
10-08-2004, 05:13 AM

We've all had messes behind the TV/stereo at one time or another. I finally got tired of it, and did a couple of things:

(1) Buy cables the right length (as someone already mentioned).

(2) I bought a $10 cable organizer/labeling kit by Recoton. It had adhesive backed cable organizers where you line them up neatly, then snap them in place. It also has heat shrink labels for the end of every connector (DVD Audio Out, In, DVD S-Video, CD Right Audio Out/In, Satellite Audio Out, Phone Out, etc.). Now no guess work when swapping cables.

(3) I do separate my power cords from my interconnects. Does it make a difference? I don't know, but this is one "tweak" that doesn't cost a dime. I figure the possibility of interference is real, so why not do it?

(4) I bought an adhesive backed channel to route my cables from my receiver to my TV. It is painted the same color as my baseboard, and sticks to it right along the floor. The cables fit inside, and it blends in beautifully - you don't know it is there. Home Depot sells these for cheap.

(5) Surge protection does matter, at least where I live. We have tornadoes and storms all the time. I bought ones that had at least 1,850 joules of protection. I read somewhere that you need at least 1,750. Most cheapies don't offer anywhere close to that. I have everything going through a surge protector, including phone/cable lines. And if I'm home, I use the best surge protection of all - I unplug everything.

Cables can be organized, but it takes time/patience. But if you are married, your wife will greatly appreciate it.

JD

Max Power
10-08-2004, 05:59 AM
Messes are a real problem for most everyone. I "twisty tied" all my cables with color coded twists. I also even took the time to color all wires with a Sharpie so there would never be a mad scramble if anything had to be moved or disconnected. I also went as far as to make a spreadsheet with all the color codes and taped it inside my entertainment center. At least now its a vividly colored mess! ;)

piece-it pete
10-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Hello tp!

I use PVC rod cover behind my system, one for interconnects and one for powercords, with twisties when nec.

Looks nice, easy to mess with, very inexpensive at your local Lowes or contractors' supply house. Back when I had rear speakers going (I'm all 2 channel for now), I used them for wire runners, as well.

Not perfect but better than nothing.

Pete

kfalls
10-11-2004, 07:42 AM
"Messes are a real problem for most everyone. I "twisty tied" all my cables with color coded twists. I also even took the time to color all wires with a Sharpie so there would never be a mad scramble if anything had to be moved or disconnected. I also went as far as to make a spreadsheet with all the color codes and taped it inside my entertainment center. At least now its a vividly colored mess"(tpcounty)

I used to tie everything up nice and neat, but found it was more of a pain to uncable everything when I wanted to make changes. Many audio cabinets have some type of cable management. I have one made by Bush which has twelve 'c' chaped clamps which helps to run and keep cable organized, it also hides them behind the cabinet out of sight. I also find if you place the receiver/preamp/amp on the lower shelves it helps because you're not running the heavy speaker and other interconnect cables to the top of the cabinet. A copy of back-panel graphics for each component in the cabinet is also helpful should you want to connect additional gear without crawling behind it.